Newbie Getting New Pup

seuss79

Newbie Getting New Pup

Post by seuss79 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi, Just signed up today. My name is Matt. A little more info about me is in my first post under the welcome forum.
Never had my own gun dog before. I'm getting a Brittany Pup around May 17th...

Until recently I never knew anything about bloodlines, field trials, etc. I still don't know much, just what I've picked up here since I found this site back in Jan. when I put my deposit down on the pup. (Lot's of anxiously waiting until may 17th.) :cry: There is a lot I learned here but I am by no means 100% sure yet.

Anyways, I just wanted your opinions on the line of the dog. I'm getting a male, It's between two. Like I said I'm new to this and hunting is my first concern and maybe field trials I want to see some first, from reading it looks like it would be fun.

Heres a pic of the line tell me what you think, it's from last years litter. This is a repeat breeding. Tell me what you think.

Thanks Matt.

Also are some pics of the Dam, Sire, and the two males at 3weeks 1 day.

Dam

Sire

Two Males (wife likes more white one I'm undecided)

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:38 pm

First off, congratulations on your decision!

It looks like a show dog breeding on one side to a field trial breeding on the other side.

On the show side, I would put little credit in the Junior Hunter designations, after all, these are bird dogs and I understand a JH is not very onerous a campaign.

On the sire's side, it would be interesting to know how he hunts. Have you asked the owners? Are they trialing him? How's he doing? I am not sure exactly what all of the certificates mean, but it appears the sire was born 07-07? That would seem like a typo - especially since this is a repeat breeding.

It would also be interesting to talk to current owners of the prior litter and see what they think.

Good luck with the pup! It is an exciting yet excruciating wait!
Gary

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:18 pm

gar-dog:

JW's Brittany ranch owns both the dam and sire. They said they trial all their dogs. Threy have 6 or 7 Brits. With all of the photos and trophys/ribbons they have(they are all over) in the home it leaves me impressed. I know they are shared between all their dogs but still...
Before having researched anything about brittany's they told me a great deal of info ,almost overwhelming, and everything I found here and elsewhere seems to be accurate as to what they said.

They said they try to better the breed because the nose and show quality coats thats why they chose these 2 dogs to pair.

As far as hunting ability both the dam and sire seem to be good there.
The owners keep 500 quail year round to train with and have trialed and showed dogs every year but the last.

I think that birth date on sire is a typo

As far as the prior litter they showed me all kinds of pics of the pups that went out as far as New York and Florida. I'll have to ask next week when I go and see them whether or not any of those dogs trial or if they know.

Thanks for your opinion
Matt.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:30 pm

The 07-07 after the sire is the AKC stud book volume that he is entered in. This is done after the first time he is bred.It is not his whelp date.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:23 pm

Brittguy wrote:The 07-07 after the sire is the AKC stud book volume that he is entered in. This is done after the first time he is bred.It is not his whelp date.
That makes more sense. Since this is a repeat breeding the first one must have been a good one.

Definitely good-looking dogs!
G

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:48 pm

I think the Wilbanks are very respected in the Brittany community along with Cheryl Orange who owns the Betin shel fly lines. I am very partial to the Gamblers Ace in the Hole lines since I have a few of them. The bottom still has some nice field dogs with the Windtuck lines. I have seen those dogs run in trials out here in NM and they are nice. I think you have done good :)

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:25 pm

Welcome to the Gun Dog Forum!!!!!!!!

Streenie79

Newbie Getting A Pup

Post by Streenie79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:37 am

Congratulations on your decision.....IMO you've picked a terrific breed and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun learning with your new pup. There are lots of folks here will be able to help answer your questions no matter what route(s) you take with your Brittany.....

As for the pedigree, I'm no expert but it looks to me that your pup has a nice lineup behind him. With the field titles on the sire's side, and the show titles on the dam's side, I'd guess that this breeding was a good way to combine both and hopefully emphasize the dual quality of Brittanys. I too believe the Wilbanks are well thought of folks with quality dogs. I'm guessing they can offer some guidance on getting started with your pup. The sire and dam of your pup look to be beautiful animals.

Good luck and have lots of fun with your pup! Looking forward to updates!

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments.

To begin with I had no ideal about lines dual champions or anything else for that matter. At first talking to the Wilbanks I was like uhhh okay these are good hunting dogs right? :?: Back in Jan. Ihad no clue as to what they were talking about. I kind of felt like a dummy standing there when they were filling my head full of all this info.

Like I said though, all the research I've done since then I feel a lot smarter. Last Friday when we went to look at the pups I actually had some questions pertaining to the whole field trialing thing. It felt a lot better to be a little more informed. :P

Not to be cocky but with what I've read here, maybe training the pup will be a breeze. :wink:
Yeah right, I know I'll be in for a surprise. I just hope he doesn't get my workboots.

Anyways thanks again.

Matt