Cougar shot in Chicago!

Vizsla Vince

Cougar shot in Chicago!

Post by Vizsla Vince » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:36 pm

Chicago PD shot a cougar running around a residential neighborhood today! Apparently they think its the same one that was spotted in a northern suburb earlier (we hope). Can't remember if there was ever a cougar sighting in this area in my lifetime.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... htm?csp=34

walt501

Post by walt501 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:15 pm

About 10 years ago after several sightings a cougar was killed by our DNR in the the area of the Minnesota river valley about 20 miles south of downtown Minneapolis. Even though this was a highly populated area, the land on both sides of the river is undeveloped due to seasonal flooding. An investigation found that the cougar had no problem finding food judging from several apparent kill sites, as the area on either side of the river is still in its natural state and filled with plenty of wild game.

This incident prompted a great deal of speculation in our local press on how the animal came to be in a location so far outside what is considered its normal range. At one point, it was thought that the animal had wandered in from the western Dakotas and there was a concern that a breeding population might soon follow and be established inside the Twin Cities metro area. After a lengthy investigation, the DNR quietly came to the conclusion that the cougar had been released into the river valley by someone who had been raising it since it was young until it reached the point they either didn't want it or couldn't handle it any longer.

There hasn't been a cougar sighting in this area since.

tfbirddog2

cougar

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:11 am

A lady in just a 1/2 mile north of Colby got a picture of one sunny it her backyard.Its a pretty woody area and I have to ready meters back there I may be taking my .45 to work.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:15 am

with population of people, and mothers running young cubs out of the territory, and even their prey moving on because of population of humans, there's no doubt that a cougar is moving on.