Can you breed out a bad bite?

Margaret

Re: Can you breed out a bad bite?

Post by Margaret » Mon May 12, 2008 6:29 pm

If he shaved his dog it wouldn't look like it had a bulldogs front or elbows sticking out, something I see
often in photos of "performance" Pointers Yawallac.
What is "performance" anyway. To most it is a reliable hunting companion they take pride in, to others it is a dog that they can place highly in NAVHDA type tests, to others a dog that does well in foot hunting trials, and to others a dog that does well in horse back trials.
This is not about FDSB vs AKC. This is not about show vs field. This is about ethical breeding practices.
This statement said it all. I find it quite odd that a topic to do with an inherent unsoundness becomes changed to show vs field, and then the whining starts about show dogs and show poeple when the topic is about BAD BITES.

Does make me wonder.

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Mon May 12, 2008 7:14 pm

What Jazzy got you to change Avatar?????????? :D :D
Yawallac whats with the short tail???

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon May 12, 2008 7:50 pm

That's my new pup Rocky! :D

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Mon May 12, 2008 7:54 pm

He is almost as good lookking as Jazzy. Just couldnt wait for a GSP pup could you.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon May 12, 2008 8:04 pm

Honestly, I have plans for Rocky and my Jazzy pup!! :D

I predict that Jazzy will be a force in the NSTRA Region. She is the real deal IMO.

Plus (to stay on topic) she has a perfect bite!! :D

Gezer

Post by Gezer » Mon May 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Ross, your teeth are pretty straight...talked to the folks in that restuarant you ate in at Walhalla....they said your tore into some grub like a chain saw.. :) I like the Shorthair....how is Belle

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Mon May 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Does anyone have pictures of a "perfect bite" and some "not perfect" bites ?

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Mon May 12, 2008 9:06 pm

nevermind, see some were posted.

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue May 13, 2008 7:15 am

Ezzy, I don't believe I said the AA dog is the "ultimate dog". I do believe the true AA dog is the dog that will produce dogs who are winners in horseback and walking trial formats. Most pups from an AA dam and an AA sire are going to be nice hunting dogs if the breeding is one of two all around nice dogs. However, most dogs from that litter will be not much more then nice AKC Gun dogs, maybe an AA dog, maybe a couple of Shooting Dogs, if given a chance in the right place. However, if one breeds some no name no pedigreed half decent hunting dog to his buddies hunting dog who is just a decent dog, then in a couple of generations you can easily have nothing. In trial formats, the Shooting Dog and the All Age dog who consistently wins, who shows intelligence in his search, who has the speed, gait, style, and mostly TRAINABILITY and BIRD SENSE is the ultimate dog in my eyes. That dog has now shown that he not only is independent and bold in his search, but that he will handle, do it for the team, and will take training far beyond what 99% of hunters will ever want or be able to put on the dog. The consistently winning Shooting Dog and All Age dog is the dog that most should consider for their breeding program, if they are to improve most breeds.

Janet, we've had this discussion many many times, but please don't make a blanket statement about a breed, single them out, and act as though you know all the facts. Where the English Pointer has been bred into the GSP at times by certain people. Where at any given event, NSTRA, NAVHDA, AKC, or American Field, you can find registered GSPs with dish faces, round eyes, short ears, etc. etc. You will find far more who show no signs of EP. Remember, the GSPCA trial folks are the ones who made it mandatory that all dogs who are entered must be DNA profiled, even futurity dogs. Be assured, most of the trial breeders are not breeding to dogs who look to be Pointer. Yes, there are some. But, it is a very small percentage. Further, why do some GWPs run to the next county? Particularly the dogs up in the NW? MUST be EP right. How 'bout those dish faced Viszlas? Short coated Brits? What about those long eared, snippy headed square oval eyed lover headed English Pointers? Are they GSP? The AA GSP of 50 years ago was our shorter Gun Dog of today in most cases. Why? Yes, some due to Pointer crosses. But, I can see drastic differences in my 8 year old female, her son FC TrueBlu's Hud's Kickin Up Dust, and now his get. Drastic differences!! Three generations in 8 years. Must be the Miller dogs I bred into the line!!?? Hardly! Shoot, I have a male who is triple FC Rockin Rollin Billy. Amazing he looks nothing like Billy. Again, is it that pointer with his tail cut off in my kennel?

Further, the Gun Dog of today is not some run off idiot as those who don't trial seem to believe. He's a nice under control easy handling dog that doesn't range a mile. He's a 300 yard dog most of the time. To go from a 100 yard dog in 1965 to a 300 yard dog in 2007 isn't much of a stretch.

Those who degrade trials are typically those who have never attended a single event, make claims about the looks of trial dogs without seeing any of them, maybe pictures, and who will buy a dog who is the grandson of a Clown female bred to a Slick male, then claim trial bred dogs are run offs, all the time telling everyone about their brag hunting dog.

No, the best way to produce dual type dogs is to find trial winners who fit the standard, not breed some old show bred dog to a trial winner. You only get a 4th place Gun Dog who can't finish in the show ring.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue May 13, 2008 8:15 am

Tru, what about a show ch with a mh behind him? Does it have to be a FC? I know it does to qualify for DC but is a Mh less of a dog than a fc? I been to both walking tests andft tests. Watched the call backs etc. I was very impressed with the level oftraining. Is it the way a dog is trained that may decide what title he may achieve? See a few FC with Mh too. Wasnt it more popular to do show and field in years past? When did the field guys go all field and start to ignore the show aspect and why? Is it cost? Just trying to get a grasp on the whys of the dog games. I hunt, so I get the best I can afford for my hunting partner. I may get another brought over from germany this summer, some relatives are going over and may hook up with a few good breeders there to see what is avail. Do you think any with german blood can compete in the games here? This is how I got my last 2 german bred dogs. Missed out when the in laws went over a while ago. Shoulda had em get me one but didnt due to haveing a good female. All had good bites too.

Is a bad bite purely genetic? can it be from breeding different lines? I have read humans have bad bites due to the cross breeding we do, IE danish to say mexican etc?

What about the Danish lines? Used to see some awhile back but not so much now alltho I see a few moesgaard advertised dogs around.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue May 13, 2008 9:11 am

Mark, I know next to nothing about the German line dogs. Since I hunt wild birds in Texas and OK, primarily with fellow trialers, run horseback trials, and occasionally judge or run in AKC Hunting Tests, I don't get the chance to see many of them. I know Dr. Gayla Salvati has some nice dogs up in Ponca City, OK she has won trials with in the past. I do believe the American Shorthaired Pointer is a different dog from their dogs. We have bred the dog to fit our needs in this country just like most all breeds of most all animals have done. Animals must morph over time, consider giraffes with longer and longer necks, fish who took to land, etc. The GSP has done this also. I am sure there are some imports who could be MHs, FCs, NAVHDA Prize Is etc.

A show dog with a MH is, in most cases, is a dog that can't compete in horseback stakes. Some might in certain parts of the US and a few might in the midwest, west, and southwest. I can't think of one show bred dog that has done it however. Pure show bred. There are some dogs with a CH, FC, and MH title, but not many. We are seeing more who are trial bred, who are finished as show CHs. However, yes, it's often about money. Hard to do both financially and many flat don't care. Ronnie Sale's DC Freeflight's Bocefus, is one that is a tremendous trial dog and finished his CH title quickly. Still costs thousands of dollars. Many want that FC but don't care about the CH. I own a dog that can finish both ways. However, with kids in sports, other financial commitments, my focus is winning nationals, regions, species, etc. A dog that is a fine field trial performer who fits the breed standard has an easier time finishing as a dual, than a show bred dog whose owner wants him to be a FC.

Problem with the MH title, and yes, it's a tough one, is...most of these dogs are more about control than hunting ability or style. It is very difficult to get a dog that broke, that totally under control, to be a FC and a MH. I own a dog that at 9 will finish his MH title. He's a unique dog. He was a good trial dog, has his FC and AFC, but is all about handling and doing it for me. He's a natural stylish MH candidate. Quite unusual. Is a MH less of a dog than a FC?? Need to know the dogs in question. There are some lousy MH dogs and some excellent ones. There are some FCs that I wouldn't feed and some that would be a dream dog. Depends on the dog.

Bad bites? I'm not a veterinarian, but seems more genetic than anything. I'm sure that linebreeding has made it more prevalent in some lines, but I'm also sure it show in all lines on occasion no matter whether outcrossed or linebred. Just happens.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue May 13, 2008 9:15 am

markj wrote:...................Is a bad bite purely genetic? can it be from breeding different lines?..................
IS THE BAD BITE ALWAYS GENETICALLY INHERITED?? no no no no. It can be and often is inherited from lines with mostly GOOD bites but different head types.

The genes for upper and lower jaw are thought to be different genes. If you get top jaw gene from snippy long nosed mom, and bottom jaw gene from short broad muzzled dad, then you may very well get over bite puppies from lines with no history of overbite. BUT would the puppy then be likely to PASS THE OVERBITE ON? Probably, because it could throw either gene and some would get one that was a longer or shorter type than the gene they would recieve from their other parent. So still you should not breed the bad bite puppy, BUT getting off bite puppies may not indicate a problem in the lines of either parent, but rather in the matching of the two. I know of several Cocker breeders who say that you can not improve head quickly or the bites will be off in many puppies. You must look for subtle improvements and work towards your goal over several generations. Sheltie folks too, consider jaw shape and muzzle shape STRONGLY in their breeding. A weak underjaw, too much or not enough slant in the teeth, ANY off bite, narrow muzzle, etc are very unwanted faults. But breeding a snippy bitch to a great stud dog may bring more problems than working towards the desired head type over several generations.

I am staying out of the show/field issue. It is off topic. I have STRONG opinions that can be guessed at by looking at the pedigrees on my dogs, but I will stick to the topic of BITE.

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Tue May 13, 2008 7:47 pm

mountaindogs wrote:
I am staying out of the show/field issue. It is off topic. I have STRONG opinions that can be guessed at by looking at the pedigrees on my dogs, but I will stick to the topic of BITE.
here here

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:14 pm

I think Ezzy said it perfectly in his long post on page 7.

I KNOW that all venues have value. To argue otherwise is counterproductive to a breed.

I have not read every single post here, as I've been gone for a few days--but I can't possibly conceive of why you would want to breed a bad bite..............no matter how great you think your dog is. There can't be that much of a shortage of good birders (no matter what your venue) that you would need to breed what is considered a fault. If you don't draw the line there, why draw it anywhere? Slippery slope. Denise

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue May 13, 2008 8:21 pm

I will agree that pointer breeders today are looking more at the bite issue than they were, but Ross, if pointers today are so much better than pointers 25 years ago, why are we still breeding to Addition's Go Boy, and Guardrail, here I know, because they were freakin awesome, and they were excellent producers. :lol:

Chip

jessie

Post by jessie » Tue May 13, 2008 8:43 pm

"A show dog with a MH is, in most cases, is a dog that can't compete in horseback stakes."

A show dog with a master hunter title is a dog that cannot compete in horseback or walking shooting dog stakes. The hunt tests are the biggest joke ever. Sorry to state the truth. Tru if you are breeding dogs that in three generations look nothing like their grandsire or granddam then I would take a long hard look at my breeding program. I can pick out a White Powder bred dog from a mile away. Same with an Addition's Go Boy bred dog. Same with a Honky Tonk bred dog. If you are carrying on the best qualities of a line then there should be consistency in the dogs you are producing.

One thing to keep in mind while we are talking about all age dogs is that the AKC version and the American Field version are two entirely different dogs.

When I think of AKC Irish Setters being shown in the sporting breed class it makes me laugh. What is sporting about a 75 lb setter.

Here's the question of the day. What is more important: breeding a dog for performance or breeding him to make sure he's 22 inches tall at the shoulder?

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Tue May 13, 2008 8:55 pm

jessie wrote:"A show dog with a MH is, in most cases, is a dog that can't compete in horseback stakes."

A show dog with a master hunter title is a dog that cannot compete in horseback or walking shooting dog stakes. The hunt tests are the biggest joke ever. Sorry to state the truth.
Might be the dumbest thing i have seen written yet.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 13, 2008 9:08 pm

X2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:14 pm

Jessie
A show dog with a master hunter title is a dog that cannot compete in horseback or walking shooting dog stakes. The hunt tests are the biggest joke ever.
Here's the question of the day. What is more important: breeding a dog for performance or breeding him to make sure he's 22 inches tall at the shoulder
It's interesting that only your dogs tests prove it's worth. I'll play and say exactly the opposite...................so now we can cancel each other out. :roll:

So you have a better standard...............or you believe we should have none? It would be okay to breed say 30 lb gsps or 85 lb gsps as long as they could compete in your field trial. Why care about colors than either?

Why do those who are the most offensive to others and make sweeping generalizations, keep beating this show thing to death? The thread was about breeding a dog with a bad bite. PS--If all of you put your money where your mouth is, the show ring WOULD represent your dog more. While the basics should be about standards, the rest is about numbers and trends. You help to divide the breed by not representing what you all believe is the ideal. Denise

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:18 pm

Here's the question of the day. What is more important: breeding a dog for performance or breeding him to make sure he's 22 inches tall at the shoulder?
The answer to that question is neither is important. All dogs perform and do it well. A few people want a dog that has outstanding performance in the show ring, a few want a dog that performs well in a trial, and most want a dog that performs well in the field while hunting in front of a couple of bird hunters. Each venue is important to the people who like each. As to size and type, if you are interested in breeding a certain breed of dog then it is important to breed within the standard for the breed. Other wise you just have a non-descript dog. But no matter what you like it is still just a hobby we have and not terribly important .

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed May 14, 2008 2:20 am

Personally, I think that a Show dog with an MH is better than a Show dog without an MH. :D

birddog

Post by birddog » Wed May 14, 2008 5:00 am

Yawallac wrote:Personally, I think that a Show dog with an MH is better than a Show dog without an MH. :D
Personally, I think a Field trial winner with a good bite is better then a Field trial winner with a bad bite. :wink:

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed May 14, 2008 5:45 am

This thread has devolved to the point that it is no longer of value. So, I'm locking it.