RYMAN VS LLEWELIN

NovaDD

RYMAN VS LLEWELIN

Post by NovaDD » Sat May 17, 2008 8:12 am

What the difference? Hunting style, look, etc?

mtjim

Re: RYMAN VS LLEWELIN

Post by mtjim » Sat May 17, 2008 7:04 pm

Both are old style setters - usually billed as foot hunters' dogs.

I have two Llewellins and am pleased as punch with them.
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

RoundRiver Setters

Post by RoundRiver Setters » Sat May 17, 2008 8:31 pm

The Ryman /Old hemlock setters are slower moving and bigger dogs than the Llew.The males weight runs from about 60 to 75 pounds. I have never hunted behind a Llew but the Rymans I have spent behind. Mine range out about 40-60 yards. I do believe the Ryman has a longer coat...............Scott
"To be good, a bird dog must give you goose pimples when he's working a bird." 'George Bird Evans'
Scott & Shelley

Heartlands Outlaw Jesse
Stevens Round River Babe
Setter Hills Blue Molly

Llewellin01

Post by Llewellin01 » Sun May 18, 2008 8:15 am

I have 2 llews and could not ask for a better pair of hunters. My male is a little on the small side i think around 45-50 lbs. and he works pretty close 20-30 yards but will range out if in light cover. My female is a moose...lol she is 14 mo. old and is already 40 lbs and growing every day. She naturally runs big if I let here but im working on keeping her around 40 yards out. I have never hunted over a Ryman but im sure both breed hunt very well jsut the llews being a little smaller and probably faster in the field.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun May 18, 2008 10:52 pm

My experience with Ryman setters is limited. I have never owned one and have probably hunted over less than five. They were good solid bird dogs with excellent noses but lacked the range and speed I prefer for southern quail hunting.

Llewellins come in all types, sizes, colors, etc. It all depends on what traits the particular breeders program is designed to produce. You can find a quick and snappy Llewellin with high style and horseback shooting dog range, a very close working methodical gundog and everything in between.