Young Hunters

upland-o

Young Hunters

Post by upland-o » Thu May 29, 2008 3:58 pm

I am slowly turning the gears on setting up a two day hunting camp for young hunters. I went through a similiar program when I was younger and it was quite an experience that was very successful in getting youngsteres involved in the sport. It will involve some hunter safety. Outdoor displays(wildlife identification, raptor displays, plant and wildlife indentification) and a slew of other activities including a game dinner. The highlight of the camp for the kids was a set up pheasant hunt where each kid got to shoot a bird. They went out in braces and leanerd about safety in the field, got to watch dogs work and learned a little about the dogs. I need volunteers for this program including people willing to put their dogs out for the kids, your dog will have to checked out obviously (we want the kids to be very impressed). If your interested let me know. It will take place in southeast New York

hubweims

Re: Young Hunters

Post by hubweims » Thu May 29, 2008 7:50 pm

sure wish i lived closer to NY. i would love to help out and lend a couple of grey dogs. i sure hope that you find some volunteers to help you out.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Thu May 29, 2008 7:58 pm

upland-o, wish I lived closer to NY....I would lend you a hand and both my dogs, if you'd have them. That is a great idea and i am sure it will be a big hit. What a great way to get the younger generation a "taste" of the real life! That's what we lack here, and as we lose more land and available places to train & hunt, our kids kids will grow up reading about this stuff and never have a chance to experience it. Good luck to you and keep us up to date on how things transpire.
Bill L.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:00 am

I live in Oklahoma and would love to help out. I dont know that I could foot the bill but I didnt know what you had in mind.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Fri May 30, 2008 6:14 am

Upland O
Check with the local PF chapter they may have a list of guys willing to help. They have youth hunts in our area that get a real nice turnout from both kids and adults.

Jered
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:09 am

i did this in the spring with some kids from the high school. what a hit. plan on doing again this fall.a must is a dog that will stand on point thru a lot of discussion while you work with the kids.most were amazed that the dogs would not budge. will need more days this fall due to interest.will find the time. Tony

fuess

Post by fuess » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:02 pm

What do you consider SE NY?? When is itt? I am interested in helping if I can. You cant be too far fromPhila.

Let me know.

FUess

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:21 pm

Also curious where in NY you are?? I may be able to help if not to far, I take a lot of kids hunting around here (the public phez youth hunt, not club events) & have several broke dogs.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:58 pm

I would consider getting certified to teach hunters safety courses so then the kids leave with a cert. Doing it on your own these days you need to worry about liability. If a kid falls down and skins a knee you could be in hot water. JMO FWIW
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:31 am

Upland-O

I work with a group of pointing dog enthusiasts doing presentations for a variety of organizations. We bring as many different breeds as possible to the public’s attention.
Currently, our ranks are comprised of, GSP’s , setters, spinones, and brittanies maybe even a Portuguese Pointer or two.

In June we offer our services to Ducks Unlimited for their Greenwing Day. D.U. offers a similar format to the one you are pursuing (wildlife identification, raptor displays, plant and wildlife identification, etc.) The kids really enjoy walking behind a brace as they point and honor on the course.

The Women’s Outdoor Weekend sponsored by Cornell Co-operative Extension and the county occurs in early September. The New York State Sportsmen’s Education Federation makes a big effort in encouraging women to the outdoor sports. Orienteering, Archery, Introduction to firearms, as well as our bird dog presentation instill the ladies with ferment for the field.

Mid- October I’ll be in the duck blind, mentoring young duck hunters for the youth waterfowl weekend.

We as sportsmen and women need to bring new people to our sport. A structured informative venue is one of the best ways we can. That being said, I have a friend who runs Britts, he also is a Sportsman Education Instructor. I will speak with him and see if he is available. I’m sure the rest of the group will be glad to help out if asked.

John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833