You Have Got to be Kidding me

romeo212000

You Have Got to be Kidding me

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:55 am

I just picked up my dog from the trainer saturday. Took her to the vet for her annual wellnes visit. Got her home and was cleaning out the kennel while she sniffed around the yard. The left side of my yard is line with fence made of currugate sheet metal. She takes off after a cat, around the corner she goes and catches her leg on a corner I guess. I couldnt see she was in bushes. Then I hear her yelp and out she comes. I just firgured the cat got a hold of her. So I call her to me and notice she is limping and look at her rear left leg and see blood. So back up to the vet we go. Come to find out she has sliced her achilles tendon and it will need surgery. This after I just cut a $1700 check to the trainer. You have got to be kidding me. I need some consolation

fire angel

Re: You Have Got to be Kidding me

Post by fire angel » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Man that sucks! I feel for you, I have been lucky as far as injuries on my dogs. The worst one that I had was about an inch and a half cut on my dog's front shoulder from some barbed wire. I hope your dog's recovery goes well and she is up and running normal soon.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:59 pm

That is terrible. So sorry.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:37 pm

Man that sucks. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to both your hunting buddy and your wallet.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:44 pm

sorry to hear about that :(

Hope that everything will heal up ok
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:21 pm

DO NOT BUY A lOTTERY TICKET...
brenda

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:29 pm

snips wrote:DO NOT BUY A lOTTERY TICKET...
You got that right. LOL

I just dropped her off at the surgeon and he seems optimistic she will recover fine provided I do my part and the surgery goes well. I will have to keep her crated inside for about 3 months, which will be a big change for her since she is a kenneled dog outside. Anybody ever have to do this? Did your dogs handle the crating well?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:53 pm

i had my dog crated for almost 5 months. He handled it better than I would have guessed but it is a pain. Rush was injured on July 31st and he spent three months crated all of the time and then we got him out aa little into the house for short periods and it was Dec. before we got the OK to let him run. By then it was snowy and slick and the first several times we went to the field he would slip and fall and I would about go crazy hoping nothing broke again. But all it well so far but he has become more of a house dog than ever as he now sleeps on the bed rather than his crate though he still spends part time in the kennel during the day.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:32 pm

Just went from your post on how your dog was doing adjusting after coming home from the trainer........and then saw this. So sorry to hear about that. Best of luck with this. Denise

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:43 pm

romeo212000 wrote:I just picked up my dog from the trainer saturday. Took her to the vet for her annual wellnes visit. Got her home and was cleaning out the kennel while she sniffed around the yard. The left side of my yard is line with fence made of currugate sheet metal. She takes off after a cat, around the corner she goes and catches her leg on a corner I guess. I couldnt see she was in bushes. Then I hear her yelp and out she comes. I just firgured the cat got a hold of her. So I call her to me and notice she is limping and look at her rear left leg and see blood. So back up to the vet we go. Come to find out she has sliced her achilles tendon and it will need surgery. This after I just cut a $1700 check to the trainer. You have got to be kidding me. I need some consolation
OUCH for both of you! Some dogs are like horses, they can just FIND ways to break your heart and your wallet!

Hope it all works out well. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:55 pm

She cam out of surger about an hour ago. Doctor says surgery went well and that it was completely severed, there was not partial about it. Said the ends were kind of messy so he had to cut and shorten them so it will heal a bit tight but the tendon will stretch out. He is keeping her tonight and tomorrow night to keep an eye on her and watch for any swelling. This little incident cost me almost as much to fix as it cost to send her to the trainer. $1275.00!!!! Oh well I suppose it could have been worse. At least it is fixable. However she will pretty much be out for the first 1/4 of the trial season. Vet anticipates she wont be ready to go until the first of October so that will give me three weeks to get her up to snuff before her first trial.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:33 pm

That sucks romeo! I wish you the best of luck.

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:36 pm

I know where you are coming from!

Roscoe got injured Dec. 23rd while we were out of town for christmas. He was running through the woods and had a stick jam up throuh his hind quarters and break off. He had to have e-surgery and a tube inserted to drain the wound since it was a puncture wound. He than had to go back and have the tube removed 10 days later. Once he was finally off restriction for that incident (about Jan. 20th) he put his front paw through a plate glass window and cut it really bad and severed a tendon. After another trip to the e-vet (it was saturday afternoon so I could not get in touch with my vet) we parted with another grand ( it was actually about $1,100). So he had a very expensive holiday season!!!!!! I told my wife if he was a child, the state would have taken him away after the second incident!!!!!!!

It is good to hear that she came out of it all right. I was worried about Roscoes gate after they had to re attach his tendon, but you would never know it happened now.

jascolt

Post by jascolt » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:10 am

That is a bad deal, I hope she is OK. Is she home now?

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:20 am

Yeah she is home and doing fine. We left her home for an afternoon and when we got back she had started chewing on her cast and managed to chew about 1 inch of the outerlayer of the cast off. I put a toy in there hoping it might keep her occupied but to no avail. Now she has to wear a cone collar when we are not home to watch her because she has to spend all of her time crated except when she is eating, drinking, or using the bathroom for 3 weeks. Except for about 10 minutes of excercise a day she spends the rest of her time in there. I hate to do that to her but its the best way to a quick recovery for her. Anybody got any advice too help me help her through this.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:58 am

I know what you are going through. Had my new pup at her trainer's this Spring. About one week after we brought her home, she was out playing in the yard befor we kenneled her for the night and sliced open her side. Just the skin, not the vital. I wouldn't have noticed except I had picked her up to say goodnight and found blood on my hand. We took her to the Animal ER in Roy Utah, I would avoid that place like the plague, where they kept us waiting for over an hour while, they treated a dog that had an upset stomach from eating people food at a party and was finally given peto-bismol and sent home, before they told us that our pup would need surgery. Then they told us that is might be able to get to her sometime that night but if another animal came in she would have to wait. My wife and I looked around, decided that if that was the case we would be better off taking her to her vet in the morning. We left and took her to our regular vet who got her stiched up asap. She is doing fine now and have been training for the Fall trial season for about 3 weeks, her scare is hard to see except that the shaved patch is still visable, and her ability to make us smile is very high.

If the vet thinks your dog will be in good shape and you trust your vet, take heart, she will be fine. I have found that good vet will tell you what is not what they think you want to hear.

DarbyMan

Post by DarbyMan » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:11 am

Man that's a tough break. I can't imagine the frustration, then having to explain to the wife...goodness :D

Don't know her total physical condition but... can you work on obediance, teach her a trick? Just be patient and give her plenty of attention.
BTW- you may be able to ease the wallet pain with a few cold ones :D
Two things have altered not since first the world began. The beauty of the wild green earth, and the bravery of man.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:49 am

Beer helps lol. She is still able to walk around actually. They recommended we walk around on a lead for about 15 mins a day to help her expel a little of her pent up energy. So while we are out I just do some very basic obedience work to help her remember she still has to listen to me. Just stuff like heel, woah , and here. I think it will make it much easier to transition back into regular training.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:26 am

It has barely been a week and I am about to lose it. My poor dog is crated for nearly 23 hours in each day and builds up all this energy. I have to pul something over her cast when we go out to keep it clean (which was shot all to heck this morning when she peed in her kennel before I could get to her to take her out, now the bottom got a little wet), and when we are gone she has to wear a cone collar to keep her from chewing on her cast. Whenever she comes out of that crate there is no being calm while I do what I need to. It breaks out into an all out wrestling match where she has even started biting (not enough to hurt but enough to piss me off) and if my wife is not around to help you can forget about it. Anybody deal with this before? Any help here?

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:49 am

This is a tough one Romeo.
I don't know if this is an option but, you might want to check at your local pet store and see if they have
one of those harnesses that dogs without legs use to get around. If they have one that will fit, your pup
could use it until the let is better. At least she would be able to move about somewhat. She could even do
some road work?

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:18 am

I'm not sure. I am really hoping that after next week we will be able to put her in the kennel when we are home. The vet said it is very important to keep her off of her leg except for the afforementioned (sp?). I know she just needs to expel some energy but dang she sure isnt making it any easier on me.