Potential Elhew Puppies

Dwells

Potential Elhew Puppies

Post by Dwells » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 am

I have a female out of Ch Elhew Cassidy and a daughter of Elhew Snakefoot. She is a medium hunter, natural retriever, super classy with a 12:00 tail. She hunts well ahead of a four wheeler but will adjust her range when you are on foot. She is the best I have ever hunted over. I tried to raise some puppies off her this past winter but she had complications and I lost them all. She has some age on her, but she is too good of a dog not to try again. I am planning on breeding her this winter to Elhew Mcdougal. I am not going planning to keep but a couple of puppies, so if anyone is interested in this breeding please let me know. Her photo is on my signature

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Re: Potential Elhew Puppies

Post by Yawallac » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:38 am

Sounds like a nice litter. When you wrote that she was out of Cassidy I figured she must have some age on her. How old is she?

Dwells

Post by Dwells » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:42 am

She will be 9 this fall

Dwells

Post by Dwells » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:53 am

Dont seem to be generating much interest with this breeding. Would this breeding do better with another stud other than Elhew McDougal. I have considered Elhew Fibber Mcgee. Anyone have any suggestions. I would like to stay in the Elhew line.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:21 am

I bred the best shorthair (really the best dog period) I ever owned at that age she had great trouble delivering needed a c section and gave me 7 great pups. She died shortly therafter and I've always regretted doing it. IMO you might want to rethink breeding a dog that old. A nine year old dog is the equvalent of a 50-55year old human.

Theres lots of pointers out there with the lines you want.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 am

The age would be an issue to me as well. Escpecially after she had complications last winter trying to have pups.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:03 am

Elhew Sinbad is pretty hot right now and he's throwing nice pups from what I've seen. Fibber would be marketable too if you don't mind the $1500 stud fee on a risky breeding.

Dwells

Post by Dwells » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:24 am

I talked to Larry about breeding her to him a couple of years ago. His stud fee wasnt but $1000.00 back then. I should have done it. I am not sure if I want to chance a $1500.00 stud fee with her at this age. I like the Elhew Sinbad Dog, but not quite sure about his breeding.
When I lost the last litter I bought a Shadows Attitude female pup and a Rock Acre Blackrock male. I really like both of them, just know that down the road I am going to regret not trying to raise a pup out of her. I have been running pointers for over 30 years and still have the habit of waiting to late to try and replace them.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:33 pm

I did the same thing once. I got the last two female pups out of Whippoorwill's Rebel before he died. I bred a little Rebel female of mine to him. I sold one and kept the other. She was a fantastic bird dog and when I finally decided to breed her I realized that she was probably too old. She was 9 but very active and in excelent shape. I bred her ok but she never took. Shame.

Sounds like you have some well bred youngsters coming along, but it would be nice to get a litter out of your girl. I don't blame you for trying.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:49 pm

In my opinion on a dog that had troubles the first go around with pups, I don't know if I could chance the $1,500 stud fee. There are plenty of other credible Elhews out there that could throw you some good pups. Its all in how picky you want to be with the stud. You'll do the right thing. Good luck.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper