roading

bruin

roading

Post by bruin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:11 am

I have started roading my dog, Trial season is a month and a half away. Want her to be ready. Is it to soon? Did I start to late? How do you guys road? Every day? Every other? How long?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: roading

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:23 pm

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. My experience in conditioning is heavily influenced by my own experience in track, cross country and boxing.

I think that going from "off season" shape to "fighting shape" takes around 8 weeks. So, depending on how out of shape your dog is, you're roughly on schedule.

I like a resistance, free run, rest schedule.

Monday - Roading (resistance)
Tuesday - Free run (recovery run)
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Roading
Friday - Free run
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

If things are going exceedingly well, I'll occasionally throw in a two week cycle:

Monday - Roading (resistance)
Tuesday - Free run (recovery run)
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Roading
Friday - Free run
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Roading
Monday - Free run
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Roading
Thursday - Free run
Friday - Roading
Saturday - Free run
Sunday - Rest

and then go back to the first schedule.

If the dog is getting pooped, I'll go to alternating days:

Monday - Roading
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Free run
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Roading
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Rest

This last is also nice in that you can alternate conditioning with training on the rest days.

Roading is done off ATV, horse, or even off foot. The important thing is that the dog is pulling against resistance. So, you go slow. If the dog stops pulling, they're done. Make note of the time and let them off the harness.

Free run is done of an ATV or horse. Just make sure that they're keeping up with you. You want to go fairly fast. The dog needs to be running, not trotting.

Rest is obvious.

I'll be the first to tell you that this is a lot of work. Given my situation now-a-days, I don't do it. I road on M/W/F and train on T/Th/S. We road off foot now. My wife and I go for an hour hike in one of several locations here. Woods and streams to avoid over-heating. The dogs pull us around the hiking trails. If the trails are pretty tame, you can hitch the lead or CC around your waist (pretty low, don't let it get up on your kidneys). If the trails are hairy, I'd hold the lead in hand so that you can let loose as needed. Nothing like having Bruiser accelerate rapidly to chase a squirrel when you're on a muddy trail down the side of a ravine....

Wagonmaster here does something interesting. It's like dog sledding but he uses a scooter. If I had a place to do it, I'd have a scooter on order right away.

Greg J.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:09 pm

The dog powered foot scooter can be pretty exciting at the speeds some of these dogs are capable of. The harness design itself (this affects how the dog is able to use it's rear legs for pulling) and the attachment point on the scooter are probably the two most critical issues.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:51 pm

Mark

Speaking of John, whats he been upto ? I havent seen him around here lately.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:56 pm

Dont forget to keep an eye on the dog, its hot and they can get overheated easily this time of year. Also be careful how you road them, I have buddies that have killed dogs from overheating, Running dogs out of a truck, golf cart etc. Roading is hard on dogs, thats why it works so well to get them into shape. Good luck!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:08 pm

I haven't seen him for several weeks but I read he was at the last NGSPA meeting to replace Rabidou on the Board. I understand he's been quite busy with other trial work during the work day lately and I'm guessing he's pretty busy after work with roading the '07 National Champ who's back home during the off-season lull between field trials. Maybe if he's watching the board he'll let us know what he's been up to.

Mark
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:15 pm

Bruin, how old is your dog? Typically if my dog is 2+ years old I will take the month of June off after trial season ends around here and just have a decompression time, maybe do a bit of swimming but mostly be a couch potato and a pet. I will spend July and august either roading, free running, or swimming, with an occasioanl trip to camp in August.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:50 pm

topher40 wrote:Dont forget to keep an eye on the dog, its hot and they can get overheated easily this time of year. Also be careful how you road them, I have buddies that have killed dogs from overheating, Running dogs out of a truck, golf cart etc. Roading is hard on dogs, thats why it works so well to get them into shape. Good luck!
Excellent point! Wouldn't do it without water for hydration and cooling. Get the dog's belly, chest and ears wet.

Greg J

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:18 am

I am learning to fly. Really. Getting my pilot's license. Lots of stuff to do besides keeping my day job and roading dogs.

Going to Alaska in October to be a keynote speaker at the Alaska Dog Musher's Association Annual Convention in Fairbanks, at the convention hall there. They are the people I learned dog scootering from. Anybody has questions about their methods, let me know and I will find the answers up there.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:56 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:I am learning to fly. Really. Getting my pilot's license. Lots of stuff to do besides keeping my day job and roading dogs.

Going to Alaska in October to be a keynote speaker at the Alaska Dog Musher's Association Annual Convention in Fairbanks, at the convention hall there. They are the people I learned dog scootering from. Anybody has questions about their methods, let me know and I will find the answers up there.
When you are packing to come my way, you might wanna pack a heavy coat - they are forcasting a early & COLD winter ... we have had one crappy summer weather wise here in Anchorage - Fairbanks didn't have it good either....
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:14 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:I am learning to fly. Really. Getting my pilot's license. Lots of stuff to do besides keeping my day job and roading dogs.

Way to go John. Think you will love it. Just make sure you get the instrument training in before you take off for somewhere. I know too many friends who didn't think it was important and they are no longer with us. Never know when you will run into weather.

Have fun but do it right.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:04 pm

Yes, I am planning on going right ahead and starting on an instrument rating as soon as I get the private pilot done. I flew in to LAX many years ago with an uncle in a C55 Baron, we could not see the runway lights until we were under a hundred feet above the runway.

Not taking any chances. There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots. That is my motto.

Thanks on the weather tip. I was wondering how cold it will be. Have been to the Kenai in Sept., and the a.m.'s are very cold with the terminal dust coming down the mountain a little closer every day. But it will be worth it to learn how the real pros at dog roading, road their dogs.

bruin

Post by bruin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:11 am

Does it matter where? I have been taking her on a dirt road. Will roading on a asphalt road hurt her in the long run?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:50 am

Yes, it matters where. Asphalt is not recommended. Too hard on their pads. Find a good dirt road. Sand is excellent, just watch to make sure their pads don't get sanded too thin.