Company Truck and Taxes

jaclinto

Company Truck and Taxes

Post by jaclinto » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:47 am

I am looking at putting some graphics on an old truck of mine and making it into a company kennel truck. I am going to put these details on the sides <<link deleted>> and then list the company info on the back window. Do you think this will be sufficient for the IRS to consider it a company truck for Tax purposes?

-- A pattern has developed in this user's posts. They appear to be viral marketing for camo websites. We're going to leave the posts...except for the stripper camo post which we've deleted...but remove the web link.
Greg J.

MillerClemsonHD

Re: Company Truck and Taxes

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:52 am

jaclinto wrote:I am looking at putting some graphics on an old truck of mine and making it into a company kennel truck. I am going to put these details on the sides <<link deleted>> and then list the company info on the back window. Do you think this will be sufficient for the IRS to consider it a company truck for Tax purposes?
Talk to your CPA or whoever does your taxes. Technically you don't even have to go that far, just have to prove you used it for business purposes. You will want to get some advice as what will work best for you to write off. Can be done based on percentage of usage or write off actual mileage. Also much easier to do if your Kennel is an LLC or another type of corporation with a tax ID. If thats the case you really need someone to help with your taxes because chances are there are a lot of things to write off that you might not be doing now.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:56 am

Make sure the CPA is strong in taxes.

The IRS has really clamped down on such things. The deal of decades past of writing off a hobby that always loses money is long gone.

Greg J.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:17 am

Do you not write off your kennel business? If you already write off your kennel and it's expenses, then the truck would already fall right into that, and mileage could be written off for every kennel related trip. If it's only going to be used for kennel trips and not for the camo4u business, then I would be leary of trying to right it off under camo4u. You may be able to get some kind of advertising credit for the camo4u business, but I'm not sure how that would work. If you can't get to your tax person right away, start keeping a log book of mileage/purpose anyway so that you'll have it if it is okay to deduct.

I am not a tax expert, just been writing legitimate mileage off for a decade for our previous job and our LLC. Best advice yet is to check with an expert so you don't get burned in the long run. Denise

jaclinto

Post by jaclinto » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:49 am

Will do - thanks