Where to take a hunting trip?

nowicki2005

Where to take a hunting trip?

Post by nowicki2005 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:31 pm

Ok so I am getting my first dog in a couple weeks, a brittany. I want to start looking into taking a hunting trip sometime next year. I've never did much bird hunting because of two reasons, there aren't a lot of birds in my area (Michigan) and I didn't have a dog.

I'm excited to have the oppourtunity to train a dog and want to go somewhere bird hunting. What are some areas of the country that you guys would reccomend? How much is it going to cost and what time of year?

3Britts

Re: Where to take a hunting trip?

Post by 3Britts » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:36 pm

You've got Wis. and MN right next door with some of the best grouse hunting in the nation. Cost depends on the type of lodging you want when you get there. Check out the state websites for season dates. It generally do the fall hunts when I get the chance.

2britts

Post by 2britts » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:58 pm

What part of Michigan are you from that there are not alot of birds? Alot of people travel to Michigan to hunt.

firstchoicehardwood

Post by firstchoicehardwood » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:43 pm

I live in Michigan as well and have a year and a half old Brittany. We primarily hunt in Northern Michigan around Traverse City and Kalkaska area and have no problem finding Grouse and woodcock. I've hunted in the U.P. once and flushed more grouse than I ever have... so you don't have to travel far to find birds in Michigan.

Diverswelcome

Post by Diverswelcome » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:57 pm

He is definitely right there are absolutely no birds in Michigan, none they all died

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:54 pm

The longer journey will be THIS fall and winter-spring-summer, with your dog ... while training. Tell us about your training plans, then stand back for some expert advice!
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com