Quick question on pigeon eggs...

WiskeyJaR

Quick question on pigeon eggs...

Post by WiskeyJaR » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:02 am

Have one nest that had two eggs...normal. One hatched and if "half-grown" other egg not hatched yet. Has "bleep" crusted all over egg. Evey time I enter loft, I dont see the hen sitting on nest.

Was thinking the second egg may be dead? go ahead and remove it from nest? Or should I give it more time? 1st chick is close to 15-18 days old now.

Thanks,
WiskeyJaR

battman1

Re: Quick question on pigeon eggs...

Post by battman1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:18 am

I had the same thing happen a while back.Got rid of the egg and the parents abandoned the live one and started another nest.The live of course died.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:38 am

The egg isn't fertile and can be thrown away. The birds normally will start another nest before the last ones have fledged but removing the egg wouldn't bother them unless something else ws altered.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:07 pm

It's normal for one of a hen's first pair of eggs to be infertile, but odd that the pair would abandon the squab that hatched.

When pigeons lay, it's one egg, then a day off, then the second egg, and how closely together the two are apt to hatch depends on whether, or how well, the first was incubated in the interim. Might hatch very close together or a day or two apart, but you can always "candle" a late egg to see if it was, in fact, fertile.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:17 pm

have tossed the egg, was cold cold to the touch. The half grown chick seems to be doing well.