Structure of a brittany ......

nowicki2005

Structure of a brittany ......

Post by nowicki2005 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:07 am

Well I get to pick up my puppy in about a week and a half. I have not yet seen them but have pictures of them taken when they were just over 6 weeks old. If I wanted to pick out the best dog that looks physically ready for show and field, what would I be looking for? I think that I will be getting a boy and from the boys it looks like I live the blue one the best, but that has no reason behind, its just because I like that one. I'm just looking for some more info on what I should be looking for in the structure of a dog.
Kate Moose Boys 8 1 08.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Structure of a brittany ......

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:44 am

Its next to impossible to tell much at that age, especially from pictures. They all look good so go with what catches your eye. From the pics I think your choice is good. I think my choice may be the Blue one but the pics do make it look a little longer bodied than the other two and that isn't really good. So my advice is pick the one that act the best to you and good luck.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:08 am

They're all nice pups! All have nice heads, nice rear angulation and appear to have nice, straight front legs. I agree with Ezzy in that the blue one appears slightly longer than the others, but that usually adds to reach and drive over a very cobby dog....more endurance because it takes less effort, and a nicer stride, and slightly longer won't prevent a dog from finishing in the show ring. These are very well bred pups.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:25 am

really hard to tell but in both pictures the last pup blue seems to have a slight tendancy to toe out just a bit ..age or structure or just the way the pup shifted that is hard to tell in pictures ...compared to the other pictures

but over all they look like nice pups...

how are they playing

which one runs around playing and investigating but always seems to know where you are and goes your direction while still hunting and checking stuff out

and yes stuff can change as they go through different growth spurts
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:48 am

I haven't got to see any of them yet so I have no idea what kind of personalities any of them have. I am just going to ask the breeder when I go what they think.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:57 am

Wrie down any questions you may have

and what your goals are from just a companion hunter to trials and what kinds
and or shows

there are no dumb questions this pup will be part of your life and granted there may be no iron clad answers at least if one overall seems to be a bit calmer or more out going or if your new that they help steer you away from a domiannat pup

there is a HUGH difference between a dominant pup and a bold independant pup

dominant pups will test for lead position in the pack a bold independant pup will go out and seek and do things

a laid back pup will still go out and do things but is just as content to be with you as they are to hunt for you
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:19 pm

There is a HUGE difference between dominant and independent, but dominant isn't always a bad thing, especially if you want to show this puppy, but you have to be able to handle it also. My Tessa is an extremely dominant bitch, which is one of the reasons she wound up with me. She also just screams "LOOK AT ME!!" in the show ring because of it and has been extremely successful without any fighting issues in the field either. Just let Di know what you're goals are and she will help you pick the pup that is best suited. But ask her WHY she'd recommend one pup over another. She's a wealth of information and would be a wonderful mentor to you. She also wrote the conformation judges educational materials for the American Brittany Club, so she REALLY knows her stuff.
ImageImage

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:45 pm

I think the blue pup grabs the eye because overall he appears to be a more balanced package. He is stacked just slightly forward of where he should be n the pictures and I bet if her were to be standing underneath himself properly you would find that he no longer appears to be slightly longer then the rest. But that said, when he is stacked out at 8 weeks, and if he is stacked properly that little bit of extra length will be a benefit in the field & not be a hindrance. he will have a smoother more free flowing gait which will help him maintain his endurance.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:15 am

I PICKED THE GREY ONE!! :)

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:31 am

Congratulations! What made you pick the grey one over the others? Just curious!
ImageImage

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:51 am

Karen wrote:Congratulations! What made you pick the grey one over the others? Just curious!
I have no idea! I didn't think that it'd be that hard to pick but it was! I had my choice of the three boys and before actually seeing them I was somewhat set on getting the blue one but when I saw them it was between the blue and orange one and then out of nowhere I liked the grey one so there was no logic behind it! lol

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:59 am

Sometimes you have to go with your gut! Blaze was suppose to be a girl! Went to the breeder's house when the litter was 7 weeks old. Had been waiting for 9 months for this pup....female pick of the litter. Well, Blaze was THE pick so I left with him 2 weeks later.
ImageImage

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:39 pm

I thought the pic of the Gray male looking left was the best of any of the pups but his other two just didn't show much so I kind of went with the last one overall. But if the Gray one is as nice as the one pic you did well.

Congrats!

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I thought the pic of the Gray male looking left was the best of any of the pups but his other two just didn't show much so I kind of went with the last one overall. But if the Gray one is as nice as the one pic you did well.
yeah they didn't do a very good job taking the pictures. All the pups looked extremely similar body wise. The only thing I didn't like about the one I picked is that his face is mostly orange with very little white, but it is also the thing I like about him too lol

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:49 pm

That gets my attention if its marked evenly.

Ezzy

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:59 am

I can't wait to see better pictures of the little guy when you get him home!!!
ImageImage

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:13 am

A well bred litter with no obvious conformational faults between the pups. You used the right method of picking. After all, you will be looking at this dog for the next 15 years or so, so it might as well be one that "catches your eye".