New rescue puppy - help me identify his breed(s)?

Marisa

New rescue puppy - help me identify his breed(s)?

Post by Marisa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:15 am

Hi, all -

I'm a new puppy owner (non-hunter*) of a 12-week old "mixed breed." The Humane Society had him listed as a "hound cross," my vet thinks he's pointer, and friends have suggested that he's some sort of gun dog. I live in East Tennessee, so this makes sense, but I'm hoping that if I have a better idea of what he is, I can do a better job of tailoring our training and fun to his instincts.
Can you help me? Thanks!
Marisa

In this pic, he's about 9 weeks old. Since then, he's gained a couple of pounds a week! Oh, and his paws are webbed!

*I'm not a hunter, but we'll do whatever we need to to keep him well-exercised and happy, so don't hold that against me, please!

12 Volt Man

Re: New rescue puppy - help me identify his breed(s)?

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:30 am

Looks like there is some English Pointer in there or possibly German Shorthair. Definately bird dog rather than hound dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:33 am

Both ends look like a pointer to me.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Loke

Post by Loke » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:31 am

The face looks a bit like my neighbor's terrier. How big is the puppy? Did they give you an idea how big it would get?
Replace the fear of the unknown with curiosity

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:37 am

Looks mostly like a pointer, could be shorthair though without the tail docked. Thats the way they all should be! :lol: :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:44 am

Loke wrote:The face looks a bit like my neighbor's terrier. How big is the puppy? Did they give you an idea how big it would get?
I almost said it looks like a pointer/jack russell mix.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:45 pm

pointer puppy
brenda

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 pm

That's funny, I almost said pointer/JRT mix also( with the broad triangular head and muzzle). It will interesting to see how he grows.

Carla

Marisa

Post by Marisa » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:00 pm

The Humane Society wasn't even sure what he was, but they said "medium-sized." Uh, huh. According to whom?

My vet thinks 60+ pounds, and I'm guessing he's right, given the rate of growth on this guy and (don't laugh) the way he moves. I've had Danes and a St. Bernard before, and he moves like the big dogs.

He's very quick to learn (quicker than I am to teach), very active, and growing like a week. So, here I am, looking for things to teach him and ways to cope with all of that smartness and energy! Thanks for weighing in with your expert opinions!

Oh - he's 15 pounds now, up 2.5 pounds from one week earlier.

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:43 pm

If he is big like the danes, teach him to be a carrier. Get a "dog pack" and have him carry your extra shells/lunch/coats/etc. He could be trained o stay 2-3 steps behind you....would be interesting to say the least :wink:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Looks like an English Pointer to me
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:20 pm

Web feet = GSP. Possibly a mix. But whether he's gsp, pointer, JRT or a combo, he just may turn out to be a heck of a hunting dog! I know you don't hunt, but you may want to give it a try. At the very least, you will want to find an activity that will meet he's needs for extreme exercise, both mental and physical. Flyball? Agility? Based on his photo, and if you get him fixed, you could probably get an ILP registration from the AKC (gsp or pointer). Then you could participate in AKC performance events. Your dog will love you for it.

Aline, who's first 'bird dog' was a JRT mix
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:10 pm

Hello and welcome fellow east TNer 8)
It's hard to tell with one pic, but the ears look a little to high for a pure English pointer. But then he could be jsut flinging them out are that is his very alert ears. And the tail too is awfully curvy, more commonly seen in the terriers, that way. But then purebred go in strange ways with certain breeders. I have seen many a lab recently with tails like that. :? But you've got a good looking puppy anyway, I definately would take that advice on finding a sport for him. If he has any amount of GSP, English pointer, AND/OR terrier your in for an active guy!!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:18 pm

Does he play retrieve? If hunting is not your thing, (and don't rule it out til you've been behind a dog when it hits point - it'll hook you!!) then definately you've still got all sorts of posibilities. A bird dog terrier mix has flyball written all over it. But dock jumping, and agility also. To be honest, I kinda think squirrel dog when I see him too :wink:

Best of luck. If you live near Chattanooga or Nashville I know somw folks that can help get you started in any of those.

[Edit: I need a spell check - or to type more carefully!!]

Marisa

Post by Marisa » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:09 am

Thanks, y'all, so much! I'm a little intimidated by his high energy and quick wit (heh, heh), but we're hooked, so now it's time to adjust! JRT intimidates me even more... I wanted a low energy not-too-smart dog when we started looking!

He will retrieve, sort of. Let's just say we're working on it. The first week, I'd throw something and he'd bring back something else. Now, he'll get it, but either drop it as he runs by me full speed or keep it. Baby steps - he's improving.

I'm in Knoxville. We're going to start w puppy class this week (I can't WAIT), then go from there.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:19 am

If you have a hallway in your house, close off the doors and practice retrieve down the hallway, where the pup has no place to go but back to you. This cuts off his options. And don't fight him for the object, pet him a bit as you take it away, and say "drop" or "give" when you do.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:28 am

Marisa wrote:... I wanted a low energy not-too-smart dog when we started looking!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"