Young Dogs - Wild Birds

Boxa

Young Dogs - Wild Birds

Post by Boxa » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:24 pm

I'm new to the forum so maybe this has been discussed, but I wondered if anyone wanted to discuss the pro's and con's of putting a young dog (under two y/o) on a lot of wild birds? Your thoughts?
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

NE Vizsla

Re: Young Dogs - Wild Birds

Post by NE Vizsla » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:40 pm

I think its good for them, the more bird exposure for young dogs the better.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:50 pm

WILD birds are THE best teacher for a young dog, especially Chickens and Sharpies during this time of year, and into the first couple of weeks of the season. Then I would try to concentrate on Bobwhites. Pheasants are ok, but they sure do like to cut and run, which can confuse a young dog.

Doug

griffgirl

Post by griffgirl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:56 am

How old is the pup? I had my 2 1/2 year old on birds his first hunting season at 6 months old.After we had our limit and went home
he wouldnt get out of the truck (kennel)

The very first bird we came across he knew what was expected of him.They just do what comes natural.
Once they get that first bird in there mouth thats it,you will have a bird crazy little pup on your hands that you will have
to hunt everyday you can. :)

We only have about 20 days until Grouse season opens and next weekend the Game Farm opens so I can
get the guys out in the field for some bird work for the pup and FUN for the older guy. :)

Birds,birds, birds are best for the pup.Bring the camera so you wont say .... Wish I would of brought my camera.Its wonderful
to see there eyes get big/light up on there first bird...... :)

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:24 am

young dogs thrive on wild birds if no pressure is involved, let the dog develop a love of the hunt and birdiness the first season. Then after that the following summer you can train whoa and fetch in the yard with no bird present.

Thats how I've been doing it for 35 years and it works everytime. Keep your mouth shut and let him have fun.

If hes real birdy you can fix anything else
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Will

Post by Will » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:06 am

The only thing I would add is to be sure you have control of the dog. I wouldn't take him on wild birds if he doesn't have some basic obedience....especially coming when called. Otherwise, you'll never teach him what those wild birds will. Get him out there in em as much as you can.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:36 am

My first dog was hunted everyday of the season exept for Thanksgiving day and Christmas Eve (God Bless my parents, they let me hunt on Christmas day) I could drop my school bag at the front door and grab my shotgun at the back door and be into 5 covies before dark. The dog was my "Dad's" dog, but he nor I had a clue about training one... my grandad just said 'If he points 'em, shoot 'em, if he doesn't, don't.' Still the best dog training advice I ever got... Still miss that dog.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:38 am

If you have control of the dog put him on as many wild birds as possible.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:08 am

Boxa wrote:my grandad just said 'If he points 'em, shoot 'em, if he doesn't, don't.' Still the best dog training advice I ever got...
I'm with you on that! Great advise... :D

dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:56 pm

On the other hand...

Like Doug said, lots of times wild birds don't play 'fair' and can frustrate even a veteran - much less a pup - into making errors (Thinking Pheasants, Blue Quail -Scaled), and others.

Agreed, need some command and control over the dog.

Wild birds are very limited for most of us, but, I'd say if at all possible put the dog where you expect him to get some action soon, so he doesn't lose his steam after half a day of hunting and a few wild flushes to show for his efforts.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:26 pm

I'm definitely in the camp that wild birds are the best thing for young dogs.

A couple of caveats though. One the dog doesn't need to be in a field full of other hunters and dogs. The dog needs to be well conditioned to gun fire. If you just take a pup out and start blasting birds over it before he's had a proper conditioning to the gun you've got a recipie for disaster.

Like the others said though if you have enough control over the dog to keep him going around with you the experience is invaluable for them. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people