Cash's First Pheasant

SD Pheasant Slayer

Cash's First Pheasant

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:22 pm

So - Cash and I have been out in the CRP grass quite a bit over the last week or so (the pheasant chicks are flying strong now, so I don't worry too much about caught birds anymore) and Cash has had a few encounters with Mr. Ringneck. However, up until tonight, he hadn't pointed a pheasant, but busted a couple. We headed out again tonight and it took all of about 5 minutes for Cash to lock up on his first point. Now, Cash has been a pointing champ for the last couple of weeks and I've grown used to kicking around and finding mice, deer terds, and every assortment of potent smelling objects, so when Cash locked up, I figured it would be nothing again, but took a picture anyway.....

He held the point for just long enough for the picture before rushing ahead to kick a hen pheasant up, approximately 8-10 meters in front of him. After regaining my compsure and pushing my pride under, I called him off his chase and we carried on. I was still beaming when he pointed again. At this point, I was pretty sure Cash was basically a finished NFC/AFC 3XNSTRA MH UT1 and the point would most certainly be another pheasant. I watched and beamed as he held point for a solid 90 seconds before snapping a pick....

With my amazing bird finding machine of a dog holding point like a champ, I strolled in to kick up my prize rooster.....

Yes, that's a cowpie/dirt combination that was apparently quite potent. My bubble head burst and we carried on to bust two more hens before the night was over, BUT, it was a great night regardless and 4.5 month old Cash is coming along!!!
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Cash's First Pheasant

Post by snips » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:10 pm

GO CASH!!!
brenda

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:55 am

That is what it takes just keep Cash in the birds .
Birddog 307

edondero

Post by edondero » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:31 pm

Hahaha. funny story.
I was out with Cash's brother and sister, they are doing well too!

pointing a horse

giving mom a smile before chasing some quail

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:50 pm

Are you sure that isn't a Pheasant "pile"?! :P
Actually.... the bird was another 10 yards beyond the pile and ran out while you were "inspecting" lol!

That sure is a nice honor on that horse! Horse "back" dog maybeeee? :P

They all look great, with years of fun times and hard points on "real birds" to come!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:12 pm

Sure Em don't put any picture of the pups on birds just post pictures of my pup pointing a horse and Jordan's just standing there. Why not pictures of the points on birds or Fin on the good chase? No pictures of Lacy on either of here 3 rock solid points either? Good job Bruce she loves birds and is all business.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:43 am

That's what I wanna see..... "Pointy Pix"!!!

Em told me Lacey has retained all of her training and is remaining dead broke, but I'd still love to see some pix of her sequence!
hint hint Em! :D
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:00 am

Sounds like my setter pup, I took my time walking over to him on point the other day becasue I thought he was pointing a ground hog or something, I get over their and its a Chukar that had never recalled from about a week prior. I Was one proud pappa, haha

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:43 am

I'm new here, maybe this has been done before or isn't as great an idea as I think. But wouldn't that make for a funny thread, posting pictures of things pointed by dogs that aren't birds?