AKC papers

gspgunner

AKC papers

Post by gspgunner » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:18 am

My dog was given to me last year in October(10 weeks old). The couple who gave him to me told me that when they got the AKC papers for the litter he came out of they would send them to me. I`ve tried email and calling them, no response. They are honest people but I`m concerned they won`t send the papers. What can I do to get him registered? I`m hoping to start hunt tests this coming spring. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-
Thomas Jefferson

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: AKC papers

Post by Karen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:31 am

For hunt tests, obedience and rally (anything with titles AFTER the name) you can get an ILP registration through AKC. The catch (and it's a big one) is that dog must be neutered.

Was this pup bred by this couple? If not, you may be able to go directly to the breeder to get a copy of the puppy papers (they can get duplicates from AKC for $15 or so).
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:03 am

The couple own both father and the mother of the litter he came from.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-
Thomas Jefferson

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:23 am

hmm

with AKC Sorry but there is NO excuse for a breeder not to ahve the puppy papers more so now then ever

and if they own the dam and sire ...Lets just via the interent the litter papers will be there in LESS then 2 weeks ... normally I have mine with in 7 business days...biggest hold up is the USPS as AKC will ahve then out with in 1 -2 business days from the internet registering and even if you have to mail in less the a month

So if they are not returning your replies I would figure on getting the PAL/ILP specially if it has been this long

even with American field who are noted to be slow...I still am av\ble to send registration appers with my pups as I take the inituative to call them and get the number instead of giving people buying pups excuses

I see and hear this time and time again...and now how upsetting it can be when you trust a breeder only to find out they lied and didn't have the litter registered ...Never accept a pup that the paper work isn't done if your buying a REG dog even if your making payments besure the paper work is complete before final payment so you know your buying a registerable puppy

So there isn't anything you can do unless the breeders step up to the plate ....They are the ones responsible for that
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:37 am

Why not give AKC a call to find out if the litter was ever registered in the first place (have sire and dam's registration numbers and the puppy's date of birth available when you call).

If it was, you still stand a chance of getting the papers...send a certified letter with a self addressed stamped envelope to the breeder, be firm but nice, and insist they send you the paperwork.

If the litter was never registered with AKC, you're out of luck I'm afraid. ILP would be your best option.
ImageImage

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:51 am

Thanx for all the help!!!!, I`ll try calling the AKC.
Thomas Jefferson

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:56 am

Agreed. There is no excuse for not having your papers yet. We sent the pups from our litter at 8 weeks with all the information the owners needed to get their pups registered.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:30 am

Just got off the phone with AKC. Litter was not registered. The only good thing is that I didn`t pay anything for him. I guess I`ll wait to have him nuetered(he`s a year old), and then I`ll get an ILP registration. I guess I put to much trust in people :(
Thomas Jefferson

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:33 am

I'm sorry that was the result, but at least you know where you stand now, and won't waste anymore time trying to get papers from the breeder.
ImageImage