Indiana Bowhunters!!

SouthDakotaBound

Indiana Bowhunters!!

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:41 pm

Attention, remember your safety harnesses, their are loved ones that depend on you! Don't be stupid and try and climb your stand tomorrow without one. Have fun and stay safe. Suppose to be in the 40's tomorrow here in Southern Indiana. But I gotta stack firewood so I will be unable to go. Went on a small drive, went three miles and saw 14 does. They are on the move and I can almost bet their boyfriends will be too.

Good Luck!

brotherbill3

Re: Indiana Bowhunters!!

Post by brotherbill3 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:27 am

Good luck if you get out ( :) Hopefully, right?) ... I only get out on saturdays, and I stick to sitting in a 'natural blind' on the ground ... Sounds like you've got a good area. I only get a few areas of public land and live near Indy (so I see more deer in the city than the woods). Oh well, at least its a day 'afield' and not at the office, right? 8)

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:12 am

I'll be bow hunting in GA this weekend....it is a must to wear the harness about a month ago there was guy down here in his early 30's with 2 small kids wife etc....fell and broke his neck when hanging a stand....the accident killed him it was tragic accident that could have been avoided easily.

be safe

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:38 pm

I kinda fell out of my treestand last year....It was one of the scariest things to ever happen to me. I had just a nice 8 pt and was getting down from my stand. The bottom 15 ft of my ladder is one of the ladder sticks but the top five feet are those strap on single steps. I was in a hurry to get down because I was excited and I wanted to check the arrow out as I was losing light fast. Normally when I climb down I grab the pole part that the steps off of and I went to grab it and my hands slipped and I slowly started to fall backwards. It was the worst feeling in the world because I was slowly falling backwards and there was nothing that I could do. I fell about 15ft and landed right on my back with my bow just a couple feet to my side. I laid there for a second wondering if I was dead or paralyzed. I must have just laid there for 5 minutes just because I was afraid to try to move. Lucky for me, nothing hurt, just my back was a little sore for a couple days.

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:42 pm

nowicki2005 wrote:I kinda fell out of my treestand last year....It was one of the scariest things to ever happen to me. I had just a nice 8 pt and was getting down from my stand. The bottom 15 ft of my ladder is one of the ladder sticks but the top five feet are those strap on single steps. I was in a hurry to get down because I was excited and I wanted to check the arrow out as I was losing light fast. Normally when I climb down I grab the pole part that the steps off of and I went to grab it and my hands slipped and I slowly started to fall backwards. It was the worst feeling in the world because I was slowly falling backwards and there was nothing that I could do. I fell about 15ft and landed right on my back with my bow just a couple feet to my side. I laid there for a second wondering if I was dead or paralyzed. I must have just laid there for 5 minutes just because I was afraid to try to move. Lucky for me, nothing hurt, just my back was a little sore for a couple days.

Not trying to sound like a mother, but why the heck didn't you lower your bow down with a rope, lucky you didn't land on your bow.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:00 pm

SouthDakotaBound wrote:Not trying to sound like a mother, but why the heck didn't you lower your bow down with a rope, lucky you didn't land on your bow.
I did

firstchoicehardwood

Post by firstchoicehardwood » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Did you locate the 8 point?

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:45 pm

firstchoicehardwood wrote:Did you locate the 8 point?
No :cry: He was chasing does through the swamp that I hunt in he was coming in really fast. The angle he came in didnt present a shot as he was pretty much facing me, he didnt turn until he was about 20 yards away. I tried to grunt and stop him but he ignored me, he was about to run by me when I grunted as lound as possible and he stopped 7 yards away broadside. I thought that I made a good shot, had a pass through, good blood trail but because of the angle of the shot, he must have gotten lucky and I must have missed everything. I'm assuming the arrow went low as it was passing through him. I followed the blood trail (which was easy to follow despite it being dark) for about 200 yards, and then there was nothing.

Firstarrow

Post by Firstarrow » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:21 am

Great safety reminder!!!

IF you do fall - don't for get about suspension trama.
Our legs will hold most if not all of the blood in our bodies.

Keep moving, have a plan to get down.

Best of luck to you.

firstchoicehardwood

Post by firstchoicehardwood » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:01 pm

Im sure he laid down somewhere and died. Tracking a deer is the worst at night time. Sometimes we would be on our hands and knees finding specks of blood the size of your pinkie nail laid out every 10-15 yards. There is nothing like shining that flashlight into the distance and seeing the glowing eyes of that dead buck you just searched 2 hours for. Glad you made it out safe.