Ugh!!!! Snow's Falling .... (Pics)

Killer Instinct

Ugh!!!! Snow's Falling .... (Pics)

Post by Killer Instinct » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:37 pm

First snowfall happened today.... Pics below are of Emma & her first encounter with snow - it was a hoot....! You gotta love puppies....

.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Ugh!!!! Snow's Falling .... (Pics)

Post by wems2371 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:12 am

Wow, I don't envy you and the snow. Hopefully we have another 6-8 weeks before we have to deal with that. Right now it's the yearly struggle to not turn the boiler on for heat and tough it out a little longer. Has been getting down to around 40 at night and 65-70 for the day, so the house is just maintaining 66. My gsp is the biggest baby and has been curled in a tight ball whereever she lays lately. Anyway, great photos..........and when does the sled dog training begin? :lol: Denise

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:16 am

Wow....I have been trying "not" to think about what is inevitable in a few short weeks. Love the fall & springs in the midwest, but as I get older, I really hate the winter. Looks like it's already started in the frozen tundra of Alaska!!
Bill L.

High Roll-N-Angel

Post by High Roll-N-Angel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:41 am

Cool pictures...Enjoy your snow....but please don't send it this way for a while. You can keep it! :wink:

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:21 am

Awesome!! Great pictures! Now THAT's football weather! :D

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:38 pm

wems2371 wrote:Wow, I don't envy you and the snow. ..... My gsp is the biggest baby and has been curled in a tight ball whereever she lays lately. Anyway, great photos..........and when does the sled dog training begin? :lol: Denise
I know exactly how your dog feels - we started to turn on the heat for the house in August! That's just sooo not right.. :cry:
GLOBAL WARMING?!!?? ... YEAH, RIGHT!!!

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:55 pm

Snow? What's that? :)

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:01 pm

highcotton wrote:Snow? What's that? :)

Right now I'd trade places with you! Are you still running the air conditioner? :D

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Yes..the air is still running and still mowing grass.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:32 pm

highcotton wrote:Yes..the air is still running and still mowing grass.
Don't envy you regarding the mowing, but gosh darn, send me a little heat! Right now, 6:30 pm (Alaskan time) on Monday, 6th, looking out the window & wouldn't you know - it started snowing again.... I need to take the hint from the geese & fly south for the winter....

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 pm

After spending two years in SW Florida I can't wait for the snow! (I suppose I'll have to pay for saying that! :wink: )
There have been a couple of mornings where the mountains to the West have gotten a good dusting. But the weather is only just beginning to feel like fall down here. And we do have a chance that the rain we're supposed to get on Sat. will have a little of the white stuff mixed in. :lol:
Startin' to feel like hunting weather!
It's great to be in Colorado, bring it on!
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:32 pm

Dennmor wrote:After spending two years in SW Florida I can't wait for the snow! (I suppose I'll have to pay for saying that! :wink: )
There have been a couple of mornings where the mountains to the West have gotten a good dusting. But the weather is only just beginning to feel like fall down here. And we do have a chance that the rain we're supposed to get on Sat. will have a little of the white stuff mixed in. :lol:
Startin' to feel like hunting weather!
It's great to be in Colorado, bring it on!
dennmor
Be very, verrry careful what you wish for! :lol:
Have you ever heard of The Snow Story? Here you go (I've changed the dates to fit the location - Alaska):

Snow for the Northerners

OCTOBER 5, 2008
5:00 P.M. It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first one we've seen in years. The wife and I took our hot buttered rum and sat by the picture window, watching the soft flakes drift down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It was beautiful!

Oct 6, 2008
We awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time ever and loved it. I did both our driveway and our sidewalk. Later a city snowplow came along and accidently covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shoveled it again.

Oct 8, 2008
It snowed an additional 5 inches last night, and the temperature has dropped to around 11 degrees. Several limbs on the trees and shrubs snapped due to the weight of the snow. I shoveled our driveway again. Shortly afterwards, the snowplow came by and did his trick again. Much of the snow is now brownish-gray.

Oct 9, 2008
Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tires for both cars. Fell on my a** in the driveway. $145 to a chiropractor, but nothing was broken. More snow and ice expected.

Oct 25, 2008
Still cold. Sold the wife's car and bought a 4x4 in order to get her to work. Slid into a guardrail anyway and did a considerable amount of damage to the right rear quarter-panel. Had another 8 inches of the white sh*t last night. Both vehicles covered in salt and crud. More shoveling in store for me today. That "bleep" snowplow came by twice today.

Nov 15, 2008
2 degrees outside. More freakin' snow. Not a tree or shrub on our property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a kerosene heater, which tipped over and nearly burned the house down. I managed to put the flames out, but suffered second degree burns on my hands and lost all my eyelashes and eyebrows. Car slid on ice on way to emergency room and was totalled.

Nov 25, 2008
D*mn white s**t keeps on coming down. Have to put on all the clothes we own just to get to the freakin' mailbox. If I ever catch the son-of-a-bitch that drives the snowplow, I'll chew open his chest and rip out his heart. I think he hides around the corner and waits for me to open our driveway again! Power still off. Toilet froze and part of the roof has started to cave in.

Dec 1, 2008
Six d*mn more freakin' inches of freakin' snow and freakin' sleet and freakin' ice and God knows what other kind of white freakin' "bleep" fell last night. I wounded the freakin' snowplow asshole with an ice axe, but he got away. Wife left me. Car won't start. I think I'm going snow blind. I can't move my toes. I haven't seen the sun in weeks. More snow predicted. Wind chill -22 freakin' degrees. I'm moving back down south!

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:03 pm

Snow is a rare thing here. When we do get a dusting (may be once in five years) we close schools and everyone goes nuts. Our road departments do not have equipment to deal with snow and ice so we just stay home and play. It is usually melted and gone by 10:00am the same day.

It's common here to use your car heater in the morning and your air conditioner in the afternoon.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:36 pm

highcotton wrote:Yes..the air is still running and still mowing grass.
No need to rub it in! :)
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Believe me I am not trying to rub it in. I am tired of being hot. We have a NSTRA trial Saturday and the forecast is for temps in the mid 80's. It's really tough on the dogs.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:15 pm

And Highcotton lives in the cold north compared to me!!!!!
Dіck

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:52 pm

highcotton wrote:Snow is a rare thing here. When we do get a dusting (may be once in five years) we close schools and everyone goes nuts. Our road departments do not have equipment to deal with snow and ice so we just stay home and play. It is usually melted and gone by 10:00am the same day.

It's common here to use your car heater in the morning and your air conditioner in the afternoon.

Yeah, it was kinda funny living in South Carolina - snowed one inch, & everything was shut down.... a lot of ditch divers :lol:

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:50 pm

Wish it was like that here in the Oklahoma panhandle. It is 80-85 during the day and down around 40 at night. I am ready for it to get cold and stay cold and for the snow. I love the snow and cold weather. I am a big guy so I tell my wife winter is fat guy weather. No sweating and taking off clothes to the point of embarassment. You can bundle up in a parka or big jacket and no one can tell how really fat you are. Haha.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:04 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Wish it was like that here in the Oklahoma panhandle. It is 80-85 during the day and down around 40 at night. I am ready for it to get cold and stay cold and for the snow. I love the snow and cold weather. I am a big guy so I tell my wife winter is fat guy weather. No sweating and taking off clothes to the point of embarassment. You can bundle up in a parka or big jacket and no one can tell how really fat you are. Haha.
I have to fly out every January or February to some place other than Alaska - there's only so much a body can take at negative degree weather for days on end. But your right about the parka hiding everything!

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:41 pm

I graduate college in May and have been trying to talk my wife into moving to Alaska for 2 years now, still with no luck. haha

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:39 am

tommyboy72 wrote:I graduate college in May and have been trying to talk my wife into moving to Alaska for 2 years now, still with no luck. haha
Pluses: Pay is excellent. Only state that pays you to live here (AK Permanent Fund Dividend - each AK resident received $1654 this year based on the oil dividend). Summers are normally warm (didn't happen this year). Scenery is flat out drop dead gorgeous. Big Game Hunting (sometimes right in your own backyard). Biggest Fish around (Halibut, King Salmon, etc...) Skiing, Snowmobiling, ATVing, etc... Last Frontier literally....

Negative: Darn cold in winter.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

alaskantruck

Post by alaskantruck » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:01 pm

Quit Complaining! We had six inches of snow ten days ago and the temp got down to ten above here in Fairbanks. Then on Friday and Saturday went up into the high forties. Right now it is +25 and has been snowing all day with about six inches on the ground.

I have in about 50 days of hunting ruffs and sharptails so far this year but don't hunt on Sundays during football season. Should have hunted today instead of watching my Bears loose in the last 11 seconds.

I will hunt my GSP's until either the snow gets too deep (18inches or so) or too cold (zero with no wind). Hopefully I will get in another couple weeks or so.

Has not been a good year for ruffs, wet spring combined with a low in their cycle. Very difficult year for starting my young GSP, there are so many rabbits (peak in their cycle) it is very difficult to keep him looking for ruffs with all those @#%&* rabbits.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:06 pm

Wow, I could not do it! Loved visiting that beautiful state last spring, but "visit" was good for me :P
brenda