Hunters living in South Dakota.

SouthDakotaBound

Hunters living in South Dakota.

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:02 am

How's the weather been out there?? Had much rain?? Will it be like last year with standing water in lots of places? I will be hunting in Huron, South Dakota again for my second year. I would like to know what the weather has been like so far?? Warm or cold?? Whats the temps?? Should I bring my Under Armour Cold Gear?? Heard the hatch this year has been outstanding.

Thanks for any info. Just looking forward to the opener.

Thanks

Casey

luke0927

Re: Hunters living in South Dakota.

Post by luke0927 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:23 pm

When are you headed up...I'll be up around the end of the month i was going to start watching on weather.com and looking at it but would love to hear if from someone who lives up that way.

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:27 pm

We are leaving the 16th of October. Will stay the weekend and head back on Tuesday in the afternoon.

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:49 pm

We got over an inch of rain in the southern part of the state last night, but up until that, it's been fairly dry. There won't be any standing water unless it continues to rain over the next two weeks (which does look possible with the forecast). As far as temps go, they're sposed to drop this week and we're looking at our first real frost possibly coming later in the week. They're even talking possible snow for the western part of the state. I wouldn't worry too much about packing cold weather clothes though - I'd be shocked if I hunt in anything more than a longsleeve T-shirt on opening day. Could be wrong, but I'd bet money it will be in the 60-70 degree range on opening day, maybe even warmer.

You'll find birds in Huron - the reports on the hatch were pretty good for that part of the state. If you get too much farther east the numbers are consistently down. Best of luck - I'm sure you'll have a good time.
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

demi

Post by demi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:26 pm

I'm in Southeast SD, a couple of hours south of Huron. Weather this fall has been awesome, warm days and cool nights, just the way it should be. Not much rain except last night when we received 2.75 inches of rain, not sure what they got in the Huron area though. We shouldn't have the standing water like we did last year on opening weekend...It felt more like duck hunting than pheasant hunting that day! Not that the dog cared... :)

So far the weather forecast looks good, high temps in the 50's - 60's. Rain is forecasted for the resident opener this weekend, but then sunny skies for the first part of the week. Hopefully they will stay that way for the big opener on the 18th.

BTW, I've seen just as many, if not more birds this year than last year. It should be a great season. I hope you have a great time while you're here! :D

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:56 pm

demi wrote:I'm in Southeast SD, a couple of hours south of Huron. Weather this fall has been awesome, warm days and cool nights, just the way it should be. Not much rain except last night when we received 2.75 inches of rain, not sure what they got in the Huron area though. We shouldn't have the standing water like we did last year on opening weekend...It felt more like duck hunting than pheasant hunting that day! Not that the dog cared... :)

So far the weather forecast looks good, high temps in the 50's - 60's. Rain is forecasted for the resident opener this weekend, but then sunny skies for the first part of the week. Hopefully they will stay that way for the big opener on the 18th.

BTW, I've seen just as many, if not more birds this year than last year. It should be a great season. I hope you have a great time while you're here! :D

Had a great time last year, bringing dogs this year. I will bring my LLewellin Setter next year.

demi

Post by demi » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:07 pm

Just curious, why doesn't the Setter get to come? He/she would have a great time, and look good here in South Dakota. :D

SouthDakotaBound

Post by SouthDakotaBound » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:04 pm

Hasn't been trained to the gun yet. Going out on the opener and will be to many people and to much gunfire.

demi

Post by demi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:43 am

What a bummer for the Setter--next year!

I looked ahead at the weather forecast, partly cloudy and mid 60's for the big opening weekend.

It's always a welcome sight for me to see the trucks and dog trailers, camouflage boats, and today I saw a few orange hats. The resident opener on public land is this weekend, but we usually wait until the crew gets together on the big opener where we can hunt private ground. I could use of those countdown clocks. :D

Safe travels to you, and I hope you have a great time while you are here!