Snake Breaking Questions

Rusti's Mom

Snake Breaking Questions

Post by Rusti's Mom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:31 am

We had a baby visitor in the clubhouse at the ranch, son killed it and when we got back home, I looked it up and it was a Southern Copperhead. Snake breaking clinic is August 8th and they use a rattlesnake. Will that keep the dogs away from all snakes? If we should find another little Coperhead, should we kill it and bring the dogs in for a whiff and shock them again if they show an interest? Do most snakes smell the same?

Pat

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:56 am

a dead snake won't do you any good. As far as different snakes, I'm not sure, but if you find a trainer that has both I can only imagine it would be better. Work the dog with the rattlesnake then once he/she is showing signs of avoidance try the copperhead.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:01 am

Agree ...Dead snakes do not smell the same....
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Rusti's Mom

Post by Rusti's Mom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:13 am

I know that dead snakes do not smell the same as live snakes. I was questioning whether they are broken to the smell of the Rattlesnake and if the Copperhead (live) would smell similar? Or are they broken to the sound of the Rattler?

Pat

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:56 am

It should work for all snakes.
brenda

Rusti's Mom

Post by Rusti's Mom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:25 am

Thanks Brenda.

While I "know" that there are snakes out there, it was a real eye opener to find one just inside the door. Scared me as I know that where there was one baby, there ar tons more and momma.

Yuck.

Pat

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:12 pm

Like Brenda said should work just fine. The last batch I snakebroke I used a Bull snake I caught raiding our pigeon coop. The dogs sure didnt know the difference in what a buzztail smelled like and Bull snake or Copperhead. They all STINK :pukeright:

Rusti's Mom

Post by Rusti's Mom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:59 pm

Thanks.

Pat

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:10 pm

Wat i alwats do with mine is whenever I find a blacksnake I'll get it really pissed off then let a dog out. The dog finds the snake and since the snake is already pissed the snake will snap the dogs nose. Keep getting the snake mad and letting the dogs near it and they'll learn to just back away from them and leave them alone. What my dog does now is he'll see one, and then back up a few ssteps with his hair on edge and keep a steady watch on Mr. snake until I either remove the snake or get the dog away from it.
What I still do as a training "reminder" is if they find a blacksnake I'll get it mad and then ppick it up on a stick and toss it towards one of my dogs.

They ain't so tough and fearless when there's a snake around.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:34 am

Bullsnakes work well, I put the shock collar on the dog set to high, let him sniff his way to the snake when it strikes shock the dog. I do this with my cats so the dogs dont kill them but I noticed a feral cat the other day, my dogs had it pinned down under a car, but they leave my cats alone. So do I need to do every kind of snake? dont know. I used to have a rattler I used, milk her good then pliars take out the fangs gently, they grow back tho so be careful.

What does anyone do for scorpians? I run across them once in awhile.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:42 pm

markj wrote: What does anyone do for scorpians? I run across them once in awhile.
RAID?? :wink:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:35 pm

I highly beg to differ about the differences in snake avoidance training
I know it for a fact...my dogs will avoid a rattler sight smell and or sound. but will be entertained with gopher snake...
Any snake avoidance should be done with a milked and defang rattler done by someone with full knowledge of how to defang ...So leave this to those who know and spend the little it costs compare to the possible vet bills you can incur from a pup/dog who thinks a snake is worth investigating...
those of us in th desert can tell you I have seen those whho decide to wait till the dog is a year i have seeen some not make it to their first year due to being bitten...
So yes I do think this is serious
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Rusti's Mom

Post by Rusti's Mom » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:49 pm

Our GSP club has been doing it for 26 years and we are taking both dogs on August 13-14.

I think that everyone needs to take their dogs to the professionals. They know what they are doing and besides if someone else shocks the crap out of the dog, they won't think it was me.

Thanks,
Pat

Scorpions - I am not sure that Raid will work on them. We have them in the house out there and before we move in, we will have a professional come in and spray for everything. House has been vacant for at least three years. They hurt like He++ when they sting.