Does anyone else have problems with non-sporting dogs?

SeventhSon

Does anyone else have problems with non-sporting dogs?

Post by SeventhSon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:44 pm

I just got back from taking my English Setter for a walk to stretch her legs out after a long two days of pheasant hunting. I go to a place next to a local junior high school and a lot of people take their dogs to run on the grass. Obviously I don't want (or rather need) my bird dog to run on turf so I always park way away from the crowds and just run her around in a shrubby area a couple hundred yards away.
I saw two ladies that had 4 Whippets on the edge of the field and since my dog is still young and learning obedience I decided I would see how she did with the temptation of other dogs running around and I walked her about 50 yards from the pack of whippets and had her hold right there. She was doing great until one of the whippets saw her and broke off to run over and check her out. It was not a problem and I didn't mind the dog saying hi, and one of the ladies saw my dog just standing there and told me I could let my dog run with theirs. Normally I wouldn't do that but I thought it would be interesting since whippets are one of the few non-sporting class dogs that could actually keep up with a field bred English Setter, so I cut her loose.
As soon as she got near the pack of dogs they just jumped her right there. I kept my cool and called her back, and she obeyed but the whippets were right behind her and she no more reached me then one of the dogs ran up and bit her on her haunch. As soon as that happened she turned around and went right after him snapping and barking like crazy. I got her back quickly but that dog tried to do the same thing again! So I got in between them and yelled at him until he backed off.
This whole time the ladies are yelling trying to get their pack under control (to no avail), and then one of the ladies starts yelling at me! She said she couldn't believe my dog tried to bite her dog. At least the other lady had some common sense and said it wasn't my fault and she didn't blame my dog, but I was pretty steamed and didn't want to turn into the kind of guy that yells at old ladies so I had my dog heel and follow me to the truck and I left without saying a word.
Bad enough?
I stopped at a pet store to pick up a collar on the way home with this incident still fresh in my mind and I am standing in the aisle when a guy brings a Boston Terrier up on a leash and lets it get real close to my dog. He is standing there looking at my dog so I said hello, and he walks forward to let his dog sniff mine and it hauls off and snaps my dog on the nose! He laughs and says "He never used to do that till I got him neutered, now he does it all the time".
I just couldn't believe he brought that dog out into public let alone bringing it over knowing it was going to bite my dog.
Sorry for the rant I had to get that out.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Does anyone else have problems with non-sporting dogs?

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:52 pm

Sounds like the problem is with ignorant owners, not dogs.

As an aside, Whippets are sight hounds used for coursing game.

PowerPoint

Post by PowerPoint » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:55 pm

I think its the owners rather than the animals themselves.Their behaivior is reflective of thier owner.I have 7 pointers,a black lab,and a red-nosed pitbull,and guess which one is the biggest baby,and most obiedient.None of my animals would behave in a matter such as that,and Ive set that standard from day one.If anything they would be overly excited and play. :D

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Yes definitely the owners.
Should have read "Does anyone else have problems with non-sporting dog owners?" :D

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:04 pm

I have not had any problems as of yet. Since Rye is a puppy i try to keep him away from other dogs until we see how they will get along. Some dogs just do not tolerate a puppy.

I also have a 14 year old Whippet and a 7 year old Greyhound. Top speed for a Greyhound is about 45 mph and 35 for a Whippet. One should never keep these dogs on chains. The Greyhound can break its neck on a 15 ft. chain. They get too top speed very quick. We lure coursed for a few years.
Dіck

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:06 pm

I think gun dogs in general get more training and more attention to socialization than most other dogs - of any class or breed. I know a lot of dog owners that do not have biddable dogs, including bird dog breeds. They are simply trained to a lesser degree, or not at all, and are not as well socialized.

I have to admit I was amused by the bit about a whippet being able to "keep up" with a setter. That part was funny... :D

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:27 pm

nj gsp wrote:
I have to admit I was amused by the bit about a whippet being able to "keep up" with a setter. That part was funny... :D
Oh I guess I just mean that a lot of times when my dog runs around with other people's dogs (usually couch potatoes out on their monthly walk, not that there's anything wrong with that :)) just can't believe that their little terror can't keep up with Maggie.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:05 am

I actually have gotten a lot of people asking questions about my dog and training moreso than the type of owners you describe here, thank goodness!! I've always thought of whippets as mini-greyhounds. I'd be pleasantly surprised if my vis and gsp could match the top speed of an in-shape whippet. But then I'd also be pleasantly surprised if a whippet could match my dogs' endurance. :wink:

Chalk it up to experience. It's always better to vent on a message board, and attempt to educate in the real world. The other way around doesn't always work.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:28 am

what happened should of been expected and avoided from the start, evrything you described is common dog behavior
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:46 am

These are situations best avoided IMO, I dont take my dogs into pet stores, and I refuse to go to dog parks. These places are accidents waiting to happen, and in a sue happy world I would rather just avoid it. Besides what is so great about dog parks anyway? I have never understood that.

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:34 am

This was actually not a dog park, just a place next to a school where a lot of people take dogs. I just go there because it is a very close location where I can turn my dog loose in the sage brush and there are sometimes quail.
I typed this up pretty quickly and was still a little hot from the experience(s) so I may not have conveyed that well. Also again about the whippet, I didn't mean to indicate that my dog could outpace one in a race, just thought it would be fun to see another high energy dog run with mine.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:00 pm

I don't think this sceniario is limited to non-sporting dogs. I've known several people with labs and other fimiliar breeds, even setters that cannot be trusted around other dogs. I've been at trials and training situations, walking my dog around and have seen dogs that you could not approach while they were on the chain. It's just not a good idea to let your dogs visit with other strange dogs regardless of breed. There are too many unknowns.
Tom

rhines

Post by rhines » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:20 am

Slightly off topic, but related to canine aggression.

There was a survey that I heard about recently (Univ. of Penn, I believe) that listed the top 10 dog breeds most likely to bite their owner (and others).

I guessed the #1 spot correctly because it was the only breed I have ever been bitten by on severeal occasions.

English Springer Spaniel was #8 on the list

The top 3 were:

#3: Jack Russell Terrier

#2: Chihuahua

#1: Dachshund

I forget the rest of the list, but it was surprising that some of the breeds that you would have thought about weren't included in the top 10.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:18 pm

I have been bitten by all three of those breeds and agree whole heartedly that that those breeds are to be watched!! Many Many of those dogs come in ripped up to shreds and it's pretty obvious that the little dogs went after a bigger dog. In fact, often the owners have to pull the little dog out of the fight even after huge cuts and wounds. The few people and dog friendly Chihuahuas I have met could easily be counted on my fingers and I have met hundreds. Many people like that "spunky" attitude, but personally get very tired of having to muzzle a dog so I can change it's wet bed or just pick it up and return it to the owner.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:08 pm

My GSP got into a scrap with a Jack Russell once. The little guy initiated the fight and my dog wasn't going to stand for it. We were able to break it up, but my dog got injured during the confrontation with minor eye injury. Not sure how the J.R. faired afterwards, but I'm sure it didn't go home fresh as a daisy.

Does anyone know where the Chow Chow breed ranked in the canine agression list?

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:35 am

I dont know where chows are ranked but they are definitely biters
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

rhines

Post by rhines » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:56 am

I found a link to a similar survey. http://petloverstips.com/ForTheLoveofth ... achshund-1 I'm not sure it is the same survey because I remembered that English Springers were #8.

rhines

Post by rhines » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:36 am

bobman wrote:I dont know where chows are ranked but they are definitely biters
I agree with Chow too, but somehow they aren't on the list. We had a couple as regular customers in a kennel that I had worked in and they always had very aggressive postures. But then again, a lot of pets get squirrelly when they are in a boarding kennel. I think for a comprehensive study, all AKC breeds should be included by a percentage of their registration numbers (population).

Not sure if it is an AKC breed, but has anyone run across a Fila Brasileiro? Now they are some mean freekin dogs.

Back to the original post, it looks like your dog intruded (even though invited by the owners) on a pack situation. Nothing good ever becomes of that.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:27 am

Chows are probably not on the list because they are not very popular, there for not as many bites total. I would bet a large sum that in a bites per capita study they would rank toward the top.

When I was about ten I had a chow try to attack me , I was a paper boy and was always very wary of the dog but it was always in the backyard. Well one wednesday it wasnt in the yard (luckily it was wednesday and in my home town wednesday news papers are very big) the dog didnt try to bite my leg it tried to bite my face or shoulder somewhere in that area. Well I was ready for him and beat the living sh_ _, I mean tar out of him. After that I never had another issue with him, he was very wary of me from then on.

Oh Yeah I HATE CHOWS.

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:38 pm

rhines wrote: Back to the original post, it looks like your dog intruded (even though invited by the owners) on a pack situation. Nothing good ever becomes of that.
Yep.
Although that is one thing that still irritates me is that I was invited. She should have known better, because I was back at the same spot last night and so were the two ladies and their pack, although this time I *really* kept my distance from them. A golden retriever had the misfortune of getting too close and got run out there really quickly so I am feeling safe to assume that these are not friendly dogs. I have no idea why she asked me to let my dog run with hers.
Someone said I should have avoided this altogether and I guess he was right but that feels a bit like me inviting my neighbor over for blueberry pie and punching him in the nose when he rings the doorbell then blaming him for the situation.
Whatever, valuable lesson learned and fortunately my dog was not injured.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:37 pm

I do not take my 2 pointers or my setter out in situations like that because I know for a fact that when hunting they are fine with other dogs but in a setting like that they would attack a dog especially a smaller one and they flat kill cats(2 to date). I still sympathize with you and I am the type that would have yelled at the old lady and probably would have let my dog get a couple good licks in on her dog to teach it a lesson. I would probably feel bad about it later cause it would not be right but I still would have done it.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:18 am

In NJ, a dog that attacks any other animal - wild or domestic - is considered dangerous, and can be seized and put down. As I've said before, leave it to NJ to legislate natural instincts and behaviors that have been deveoping for millions of years and make it illegal.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:25 am

bobman wrote:what happened should of been expected and avoided from the start, evrything you described is common dog behavior
ACooper wrote:These are situations best avoided IMO, I dont take my dogs into pet stores, and I refuse to go to dog parks. These places are accidents waiting to happen, and in a sue happy world I would rather just avoid it. Besides what is so great about dog parks anyway? I have never understood that.

I had whippets race across a field and jump on my dog's back too.
I keep them out of places where other dogs are as you never know.
At least at trials there is the expectation that a dog is reasonable in temperament if he/she is going to compete.
( Although I was bit in the "bleep" once walking past a guy's dog chained out that had a longer tie-out then I expected. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Sharon,

Think I would have to see the scar before I would believe that. :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:17 pm

In your dreams buddy, in your dreams. :wink:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jt807

Post by jt807 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:50 pm

Notice none of the bully breeds are on the list?

I can tell you why, that list was the most likely to bite their owners.

Now, if you have a list of the top ten breeds most likely to kill someone, then you would see the bully breeds take over.

And for everyone who responds to this by saying "I have a pit bull, and he is very gentle, our two year old plays with him all of the time and it is no problem": This quote, or something very similar to it, is the number 1 response that owners of dogs say after their dogs kill someone. They are always gentle until their breeding kicks is. You never hear them say the dogs were agressive.