Picking Pup up Tomorrow - Few Questions

cocdawg

Picking Pup up Tomorrow - Few Questions

Post by cocdawg » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:48 pm

I'm picking my pup (10 week old GSP) up a few days earlier than I had planned b/c of work. Now I'm on the run trying to get everything ready. Will the pup be fine in the house in his crate during the day as long as I go by every hour or so and check on him and let him out to potty OR should I get the 10 X 20 kennel up tonight and leave him in it during the day? Also, can I start now feeding him dog food as opposed to puppy food? I'm wanting to feed Exceed Performance. I'm thinking about putting the wife in the kennel and let the pup sleep with me :lol: or maybe I'll be nice and let her stay inside in the crate :lol:

Thanks everyone for all your help on this board. This has been a process that I"ve studied for over a year now, so I hope things go well. I have convinced my two boys that we aren't getting a pup so they're going to be EXTREMELY excited tomorrow night. After reading over my post you would never know I've been planning this for over a year now!!

mtlee

Re: Picking Pup up Tomorrow - Few Questions

Post by mtlee » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:59 pm

My .02 cents...

1)The pup will be fine in a crate if you can stop by as often as you're saying.

2)I feed my pup the same type food the older dogs get and he's doing fine.

3)Make sure you put a bark collar on your wife before you leave her in the outside kennel overnight as you do not want her to disturb the neighbors :lol:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:01 pm

Be sure to get what the puppy is eating and slowly mix in the new food you want to feed

and congrats ...don't forget the camera and take pictures :wink: :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm no expert, but I'd definitely get him used to the crate now so it won't be a stressful situation when he has to be in one later when you're traveling or whatever.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:53 pm

Crate, with lots of supervised play. Neve let him wander in the house even for a few minutes without direct supervision or he will learn to sneak in potties and never be house-trained. Go straight from the crate to the backyard whenever you take him out. And get ear plugs for the next few nights!!!

Good luck!!

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:20 pm

gar-dog wrote:Crate, with lots of supervised play. Neve let him wander in the house even for a few minutes without direct supervision or he will learn to sneak in potties and never be house-trained. Go straight from the crate to the backyard whenever you take him out. And get ear plugs for the next few nights!!!

Good luck!!
Honestly, it seems like it will never end, the whining/crying/barking at night, but it DOES! Now I can hardly remember it, but there were times in the first weeks where I really doubted myself. "Am I really supposed to ignore that??" Now she's great overnight in the crate.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:27 pm

10x20 is huge. I have my dogs in 5x10 kennels which is fine provided they get out to excercise every day.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:48 pm

Everyone has touched on everything - yes in the crate, yes to adult food but mix with previous food etc. etc.

All I can add is Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! ( I wish I was you. :)

PS Take paper towel in the car as pup may be car sick.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:00 pm

I have taken a small radio, tuned to an all night station with the volume low, and put it in the room with every new pup I have bought. Talk or music doesn't seem to matter which, but the human voice sounds seem to settle the youngster down pretty quickly.

Also, moistening the dogfood with some warm water can make it much easier on the little guy's stomach.

RayG

dug1976

Post by dug1976 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:27 am

I heard to get a stuffed toy. Throw it in with all the littermates and let them get their scent on it. Then put it with the pup. Some say it makes them more confortable.

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:08 pm

They gave us a blanket when we got the dog to keep ing the crate. I rember the first night. Santa brought the dog to us. Xmas started around 2 in the morning for us when the kids heard the dog downstairs. The next night we puy a blanket over his crate and has worked good for us.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:12 pm

Is pup home yet? How did it go?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cocdawg

Post by cocdawg » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks guys for all the replies. Sharon, no the pup isn't home yet. The breeder and I couldn't get together on a time so I'm going Friday morning to pick him up. This will actually work out better for me anyway. I've had time to get things lined up. Again, thanks everyone for the replies and I'll let you know how it goes.