I can't beleive what I just saw.....

GSPVIZ

I can't beleive what I just saw.....

Post by GSPVIZ » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:35 am

So this morning I was out on state grounds on my 2nd hunt with my Viz, Margo. No luck for us again.

I was heading back to the Jeep which was parked on the other side of the access road from the field I was coming from.

I saw 2 guys in a KIA (yes a Kia) pull up right next to me (no dog). They had their windows down. The guy in the drivers seat told his buddy to get out of the car and they were pointing ahead of them. I looked to see what they were pointing at and sure enough, a rooster on the access road about 50 yards down. The passenger got out, and walked up the right side of the lane as his buddy drove up (trailing him by about 10 yards). So I stood there and watched them. The guy with the gun that was walking, turned to see if anyone was watching him. Then at about 30 yards out, bang. Shot the sucker while on the ground in the middle of the access road! I could not believe it. How desperate are these people to kill a bird?

Did any of you ever see something like this?!?!?!?!

We didn't have any luck but I was perfectly content with just watching Margo work.

nj gsp

Re: I can't believe what I just saw.....

Post by nj gsp » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:48 pm

Sure. I see it ll the time. This is especially true in Maine where some people "road hunt" grouse. Just this fall, while driving to one of my favorite covers, we ended up behind a pickup truck that was driving slow. They suddenly slammed on the brakes and the driver and passenger jumped out and started walking up the road, loading up as they went. They even left the doors of the truck open. I waited for about 2-3 minutes, then drove around them. Fortunately there was enough room for me to squeeze by with my truck.

They were kind enough to wave me through after I was already past their truck.

How rude.

I also had a friend tell me just last week his dog was on point, and while he was waling up to his dog another guy - he had no idea who he was - let his dog run in and bump the bird, then walked right in front of my friend to shoot it.

How rude.

Some people haven't got a clue, and I'd say that number is about 1%. The problem is, they are the ones other people notice -which makes all hunters look bad.

MOOSE

Re: I can't beleive what I just saw.....

Post by MOOSE » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:51 pm

If I remember correctly this is illegal in MI. Or may I just think it is so unethical that it should be illegal!

Doesn't hurt to report them to your local conservation officers though.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:08 pm

I was out training this past summer.
I thought I was safe with no orange as there wasn't a season on anything that I knew of.

I'm up on a hill, when I hear a shot and the branch above me hits the ground.

I started hollering and I hear "Sorry."

The guy was shooting groundhogs.

Groundhogs must fly.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:11 pm

MOOSE wrote:If I remember correctly this is illegal in MI. Or may I just think it is so unethical that it should be illegal!

Doesn't hurt to report them to your local conservation officers though.

Just mention the ethics of shooting grouse out of a tree or on the road in Ontario and all heck breaks lose.
When I see a guy post that he "got" 5 grouse, as if he's really done something, I can't help but ask.. "Were any of them flying?"
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:10 pm

I wouldn't say it to the hunter. I would say it to the conservation office though. :roll:

We reported some people poaching last year and they got it layed on them in court. They plead not - guilty but there were 3 of us who saw them do it!

When it comes to hunting laws I am a big believer in reporting abuse of the law.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

fuess

Post by fuess » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:22 pm

Drive around during turkey season! All they are missing is the popcorn!

FUess

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:41 pm

I though Maine residents were required by law to shoot all Grouse they see walking the roads. It never really bothers me when I make my yearly trip up their, no other hunters in the woods, as long as the road hunters pull over far enough and shut their doors so I can pass.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:53 pm

mudhunter wrote:I though Maine residents were required by law to shoot all Grouse they see walking the roads. It never really bothers me when I make my yearly trip up their, no other hunters in the woods, as long as the road hunters pull over far enough and shut their doors so I can pass.
I don't care if someone wants to shoot birds on the ground or out of a tree, but I have a problem when people are intentionally inconsiderate to othres. I don't know what you call peple like that where you are from, but most of the people I know call them a**holes.

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:16 am

It is illegal to shoot on or across a paved or improved road in Idaho, for obvious saftey reasons.
Its hard for me to believe the law would be different anywhere else.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:35 am

Most of our grouse in Wi. are shot from roads. We can't shoot from paved roads, but most of us walk the logging roads for grouse. Same in South Dakota. The ditches in SD are some of the greatest hunting there. Depends on where you're from I guess.

In Wi, though I don't do it, it's perfectly legal to shoot a bird sitting on a logging road. Same in SD. I don't do it, but it sure is legal.

Next we get into the argument "If it's legal, is it ethical?"
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

rhines

Post by rhines » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:10 am

Oh my god!!!, a KIA???? They have to be real sickos!

PTdawg

Post by PTdawg » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:13 pm

rhines wrote:Oh my god!!!, a KIA???? They have to be real sickos!
haha! :lol:

GSP_in_Maine

Post by GSP_in_Maine » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:12 am

True Mainiacs do not call them "grouse" unless they are flying. If they are sitting road/tree/stumps they are called "pahhtridge".

I love the road hunters up here.....they leave all the good cover alone! :lol: :lol:

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:02 pm

In my area it is legal to hunt deer with dogs. It's common to see guys lined up every so often along the road looking into the woods ready to shoot.........
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:26 pm

Unlike most here (unless some won't admit it :oops: ), I was brought up road-hunting and poaching. We would shoot right out the window, shoot game in season or out and even shoot game at night with spotlights. Once I was old enough to start hunting by myself, I started bowhunting and working with my first hunting dog (gsp) and eventually learned what hunting was all about. It used to be strictly about killing animals, now I get my enjoyment from the hunt. It's too bad those guys don't know what it's like to hunt behind a nice pointing dog......bet they wouldn't be slob-hunting if they did.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:02 am

I've road hunted for grouse in the UP of Michigan. Thats how I started and that is just how it is done up there. You drive slow, there will be tons of birds on the road eating gravel. You get out, load up, flush the birds and thats it.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:25 am

nowicki2005 wrote:You get out, load up, flush the birds and thats it.
Flushing the birds is a lot different than blowing one away while on the ground. But hey, to all his own.