plane rides/ dog haulers

intothewind

plane rides/ dog haulers

Post by intothewind » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:42 am

ok, maybe im looking for some different views from breeders and just plain hunting dog owners like myself-or maybe im just blowing off some steam. there seems to be a growing trend on websites i visit with breeders having pups hauled instead of flown. i personally would prefer my pup flown. a flown pup is only disturbed for a matter of hours on a plane flight, then it gets comfort by its new owners. a hauled pup is stuffed in a dark box with a bunch of other barking whining dogs, then driven for days while the hauler makes his rounds, finally making his destination to my home after spending 24 hours a day in his/her own pee and crap for 6 days with litlle or no excersize while being scared to death listening to the tires on the roadway and all the big rigs passing by. we are talking about a puppy, not a grown adult dog used to the routine of a kennel for hunting trips. my breeder was going to send my pup by a hauler and this person wanted 450 dollars to haul a puppy, not adult. why would i pay twice as much to wait 20 times longer to get my puppy?
im just looking for some differant opinions on what consumers think, and what breeders think, and why breeders prefer to ship by this method. logic tells me a plane flight is entirely less upsetting to a pup than the long arduous road trip lying in your own crap for a week in the dark.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: plane rides/ dog haulers

Post by Karen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:13 am

Because of temp extremes this time of year it may be safer to have the pup hauled. I flew from NJ to MO to pick up my last pup, and brought her back in cabin with me (cost $100 to do, but the peace of mind was priceless).
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

intothewind

Post by intothewind » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:17 am

i understand the temp thing- but ive been waiting almost 6 weeks for this puppy, just so the breeder can line up a hauler. i think the temperature range, was good at some points during ths time period. im quite frustrated at the length of time im waitng and still havent received the puppy.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:28 am

I leave it up to the buyer as to how they want their pup or dog shipped,I prefer by air & direct flight with no stops or lay overs.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:43 pm

If you want the pup...make the arrangements yourself, call the breeder and tell them when and where to drop the pup off. Done deal or no deal. Either that or fly out there yourself and bring the pup back as described above. Ain't gonna be cheap either way, but you got the dog home. It sounds like the breeder might not want to deal with the hassle of going to the airport on a day that the temperatures are acceptable, etc, etc.

Honestly, I can't blame them for that.

RayG

intothewind

Post by intothewind » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:13 pm

i respectfully disagree with the "not blaming them for not wanting to hassle with taking the pup to the airport". there are plenty of things i dont want to hassle with at work, i do it though because its my job and my responsibility to my customer. if a breeder is too lazy to get the dog, that hes received money for, to the airport, then he/she should do something else for a living.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Intothewind -

You are forgetting one crucial item. Most dog breeders also have a real live day job that supports their dog affliction, just like the rest of us. It would be a RARE breeder(probably independently wealthy) that does dog breeding full time.

Even professional dog trainers and/or handlers have competing commitments and obligatons that may make repeated trips to an airport that might be several hours away, a real PIA. It is also possible at the airport nearest your breeder, that none of the airlines that services that airport take live animal cargo.

Best thing for you to do, I think, is check into it yourself. Then you will know.

intothewind

Post by intothewind » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:00 pm

well, transportation was part of the deal. he is taking care of, however long its taking. i didnt really put this out here as a discussion about the breeder of my dog. i dont want to bash him, he has done everything to please me up to this point. i was hoping to have a discussion in general about why some breeders think its unhealthy to ship a dog via hauler, rather than plane. i think by hauler is way more tramatic for a young puppy, that was the intent of the thread.

fuess

Post by fuess » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:58 pm

I have flown on alot of trips with my dogs. It is not that easy, nor is it cheap. Cheaper for my flight than the dogs. In any case, my breeder will ship on planes, but only if it is a direct or near direct flight. Always a concern with delays, lost dog...

Hauler at least "should" take care of the pup (hopefully)

FUess

intothewind

Post by intothewind » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:16 pm

how is it more expensive to send a puppy via airplane? creight, freight, health cert- its normally around 250. the hauler wanted 450. i cant believe for a minute that a hauler will take better care. no way he or she excersizes 12 dogs every evening, and changes the bedding every evening for 6-7 days. that pup will be in my care off of a plane within hours of being put on the plane, and i darn sure will be taking better care of MY family member better than they will.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:26 pm

well, transportation was part of the deal.
Oops!! Next time make your own arrangements. I always recommend that buyers ship via air. It is quick and much less stress on the pup. I have had a couple of nightmares shipping pups with dog haulers that the buyers set up. If I have to use a dog hauler then I pick the hauler because it's MY pup until they take delivery. For air, I ship via Delta. They are very accomodating for the pups. Haven't had a major problem yet shipping air freight.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:24 pm

intothewind -

I didn't mean to steer the topic away from your intent. Sorry.

For the record, the pups I have bouught were either shipped by air, or I drove and picked them up myself. I once drove to Alabama from NJ, but even I have to say that was a little over the top. If I had to go get a pup today, I would drive ten hours, one way but not much more. any farther and I would want it shipped via air.

I would be more than a little leery of a dog hauler in the summer, with the heat and all, but in the cooler weather, as long as they have water and a warm, draft free nest, it shouldn't be to bad.

Honestly though, a couple of phone calls to the airlines and you might have an option that you can discuss with the breeder. Or you might be convinced that a dog hauler is the only practical way. Either way...you would know.

Like Ross, I only have experience with Delta and the four times I have used them, everything was just right.

Hope it all works out for you.

RayG

intothewind

Post by intothewind » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:38 pm

yeah, id drive 10 hours. drove 5 hours one way for the female i have. the pup did finally leave the breeders house. i talked to the hauler today. he told she was a fine looking pup and fat. s'possed to be here friday. ill post pics when i get them taken.

intothewind

Post by intothewind » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:06 pm

ok, ive had it. never, ever let a breeder use a dog hauler. ive waited 6 weeks for my breeder to get this pup to me. supposedly he has been picked up twice. the breeder lied to me and told me the pup was in route. the pup never showed up. i called him and he told me the hauler wanted 450 so he didnt send him. he then told me he could get the dog to a destination 4 hours drive one way from me, but i still had to pay the dog freight, and my gas and time to get the pup...then he told me he had redwing haulers lined up to take the dog. i called redwing, and he told me he would be here the day after thanksgiving. he never showed up. i called him last night, of course he didnt answer the phone. i left a "nice" message inquring about the delivery. he never called me back. ive been waiting all day today for the pup he still hasnt showed up. i called him again several hours ago....of course he didnt answer. i left another "nice" message.....he still hasnt showed up or given me any respect whatsoever to tell me when or if he has plans on ever showing up. all this could have been avoided if the breeder just would have put the pup on a plane like i asked him to.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:08 pm

I hope you've got your hands on your pup today. I'd be pulling my hair out by now and pretty p.od about the runaround/lies you've been fed. Hope this works out soon--for the puppy and you. Denise

intothewind

Post by intothewind » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:45 pm

im sorry to say, i still havent heard from redwing, as he will not return my phone calls......and for the record, i have yet to leave anything but polite messages. i am about to call him, and leave a message, as im sure he wont answer the phone. i will be telling him if he doesnt have the pup to me by 10 pm tonight he can take him back to the breeder. im not paying for horrible service, and i dont trust the mental well being of a puppy being stuffed into a box for 2 weeks.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 pm

YAWALLAC Wrote:
it's MY pup until they take delivery
Amen to that.

Sounds like hindsight might be 20/20 on this deal. ALWAYS do your homework when buying a dog. That means up to the point of sale, and afterwards especially. We fly our dogs to customers. The airlines however have their own sets of rules governing the temperatures at which they will allow live freight. (this changes hourly) I have a few times got up at 4am to call the airline to see if our flight was still on or not. I never let the buyer make a decision on shipping that I feel is bad for the animal just to sell a dog. It is my dog and I have alot of time and money wrapped up in each one.
Some people cringe when I tell them its $250 for the flight, crate and health cert + another $125 for me to make the arrangements and take it to the airport. I look at it this way.. I live 50 miles from our nearest airport, Its my time and it is worth something. If they don't like it, they can go find some hack who does'nt give a crap, and hope for the best.

I am now off my soapbox. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"