Help, I'm in a Moral Quandry

mtjim

Help, I'm in a Moral Quandry

Post by mtjim » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:35 am

Here's my problem.

I'm a died in the wool setter man. I own four, possessing varying degrees of proficiency.

BUT my neighbor has GSP's. Now I have to be honest - most GSP's turn me off - it's just a short hair, no tail thing that I can't get around. BUT he's got this little GSP female that loves me. When she was about 6 months old I kept her for a week while he and his wife went on a cruise. We bonded. I taught her to jump up in the back of my truck that week and for months after he got back home every time I would drive by his house if she was in the yard she would stand up at the sound of my truck and give me a mournful look as I drove by. And of course any time I would stop by his house it was like two lovers meeting after a long absence. I can't help it. I am smitten by a denizen of the forbidden breed.

Over the course of the last two hunting seasons I have "borrowed" her for several hunts. Once even on a 4 day excursion to Kansas. She never ceased to wow me with her tracking ability on wounded pheasants and her easy handling.

Yesterday, I visited with her just minutes after she had the final puppy of her new litter. Nothing would stop her but she had to get out of the whelping box and come over and greet me and say hello with a big old wet kiss.

Now here's the moral quandary. I want HER! - Not one of her pups. Do I campaign against my friend and spread ugly rumors about him and his dogs all over the internet so that he can't sell those pups and ultimately loses confidence in his breeding program?

Then I can be the consoling friend who stands by and innocently says, "Well I surely understand your predicament - Why don't you just let me have ___________ and I'll give her a good home for the rest of her life."

No, I guess I'll just have to live by the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. And I mustn't forget the commandments - "Thou shalt not Covet and Thou Shalt not Steal." But it sure is hard.

Do you really think God meant to include Bird Dogs in all that? :mrgreen:
Be wary of the man in the tattered old hunting coat with the bony pointer and the well worn side by side, he'll outshoot you every day.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Help, I'm in a Moral Quandry

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:42 am

Find a compromise.

Ask to buy her and negotiate the terms of the deal. If she's part of his breeding program, the terms could include X more litters from her with him owning the pups and her with him till the pups are weaned.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:39 am

i think you already have the perfexct situation. your buddy gets to feed her, house her, and presumably pay for vet bills, while you can just come over and visit anytime you want, and i bet he would even let you borrow her for a hunt now and then. what more could you ask for?? its just like being a grandparent- all of the fun, none of the fuss!

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:11 am

Look, all is fair in love and war. You want her. Make it happen.

It certainly doesn't hurt to inquire about this. I am sure your neighbor has noticed the flirting. Maybe he will be a stand-up guy and realize that you two were meant to be together.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:33 am

My son, you've done the right thing by confessing your sins. Say 20 Hail Marys & 10 Our Fathers. Stop torturing yourself and move away from this temptation! :P
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:04 pm

I say steal her and then ask for forgivness later. :D

mit

Post by mit » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:07 pm

I just think it's great that you've been smitten by a gsp :D

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:28 pm

if it were a brit next door he wouldn't have posted this....... he would have already taken action :lol: