If dog doesn't cut it, then what?

hustonmc

If dog doesn't cut it, then what?

Post by hustonmc » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:44 pm

I try to make it a point to read every thread on the "active post." It's interesting to read about the research people put into pedigrees and info on pups parents to maximize the chance of getting a good pup. It's fun to read about people's excitement with their new pup's and all things that go with, it brings back good memories. It's encouraging to read about people that are honestly trying to break a dog right, help the dog reach it's full potential, give it every chance to succeed.

I guess my question is. What do you do if this dog you put so much time, money, and effort into, just doesn't cut it?

I guess alot depends on what the person is looking for as well. One man's worthless AA dog may be another mans NSTRA Champion, One mans worthless NSTRA dog may be another man's good hunting dog, as well as one's worthless Chuckar dog, just may be perfect for a Pheasant hunter. And one avid everyday hunters may find that his dog would be perfectly suited for a hunter that takes his dog out 3 times a year.

What do YOU do if your dog doesn't cut it. Do suck it up and give the dog away, counting everything you spent as experience? Do you sell the dog to a select buyer that you know would suit that hunters needs? Do you keep the dog around, since he loves you with all his heart, you couldn't just pawn him off? Or does he go on one last and never come back, just call it a wash?

I'm curious about readers take on this subject. I hope I never encounter this situation myself, but I believe someone sticks with this dog stuff long enough it will eventually arise.

Willie Hunter

Re: If dog doesn't cut it, then what?

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:53 pm

I have one I should have put a slug in years ago, the dog is worthless. I actually have grown very fond of this dog.
Willie Hunter

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 pm

I agree with Willie. I've had a few over the years that weren't the bomb but were, with time, good at something. If nothing more than keeping me interested in seeing what they would pull next. That said if the hunter or trialer in a one trick pony then the dog might not fit into that particular pigeon hole. Time will tell.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:24 pm

Depends on who you are I guess and how much integrity you have.

I had a friend who used to brag that "he had fertilized his cherry tree orchard " with the dogs he couldn't use. He was a big winnning trialer too. Always left me speechless.

I also don't like to see people take advantage of the less experienced. I had "friends" trying to sell me dogs when I first wanted to trial. Of course these were washouts from their own string. "Here's a sucker." Fortunately a good mentor steered me straight.

I would bet the 2 things i've mentioned are common ???? even though they are seldom discussed.Maybe they're not.

For me, If I bring it into the world or buy it , then I'm responsible for that dog for the rest of its' life. I keep it unless a GOOD situation can be found elsewhere.( Even a washout needs a lot of exercise. If that can't be provided then......)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

scotly50

Post by scotly50 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:00 pm

Sharon wrote:
I also don't like to see people take advantage of the less experienced. I had "friends" trying to sell me dogs when I first wanted to trial. Of course these were washouts from their own string. "Here's a sucker."
Wish I could say I hadn't been there. :cry:

sweetsong

Post by sweetsong » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:03 pm

I agree with Sharon. Every dog that lives and is a part our family will be with us until the good Lord decides it's time to leave us. Now that is me, I have other relatives that if the dog is not working out they will find some way of getting rid of it. I would not be able to that.

Terry
Terry & Kim Singsank
Sweetsong Shorthairs

Sweetsong's Wildfire Greta
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=160

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:26 pm

For me, If I bring it into the world or buy it , then I'm responsible for that dog for the rest of its' life.
We've only got two dogs and looking for a 3rd, so my numbers are small and manageable, but I'd have to agree with the above statement. I know some folks don't share the idea, but our dogs are part of our family. Our world revolved around picking them out, watching them grow into the characters they are, and taking care of their needs...........which includes a house full of dog toys. I know many people rely on dogs for their living, so their circumstances and views are probably different. Me, I'm just into NAVHDA, maybe some hunt tests, and being a weekend warrior. Our dogs are not tools, moneymakers (I wish), or expendable. In fact, we hope to get as many companionship years out of them as we can, whether they are incredibly fruitful in the field or not. Okay, enough from a bleeding heart........... Denise

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:35 am

Once they come home with us, they are here until they die.
There are times when our place looks like an assisted living facility for dogs and horses :D

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:55 am

I have a friend who was many years ago the Huntsman for two fox hunts, and kept a kennel of 40 couple of hounds (That's 80 dogs!). He was telling me one time about a dog he had named Buster, who was nothing but trouble. He started fights, he would get in the way of the more experienced dogs, he would steal other dog's food, basically a trouble maker that refused to work with the pack and was worthless as a hunter.

So after a foxhunt where this dog was up to his usual tricks, my friend told one woman that the dog was no good and causing too much trouble. When asked what he was going to do about it, he said when he got the hounds back at the kennel he was going to "give it the gun."

The woman protested and said "We'll take him!" So, against his better judgement, he let her take the dog. But he said that every time he went to the people's farm to shoe their horses, there was Buster, sleeping in the sun on the porch. Buster lived out the remainder of his days as a house dog, and a long and happy life it was.

So, every dog has its place. If not in the field, then perhaps on somebody's sofa.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:19 am

Once I've got 'em, I've got 'em. They tolerate my faults and I don't mind theirs...too much! :lol:

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:45 am

So, every dog has its place. If not in the field, then perhaps on somebody's sofa.
That is the best way that I've ever heard it said.

Our dogs are part of our family, if they can't or won't hunt, then they are still part of the family.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:50 am

Ditto on the somebodies sofa
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:22 pm

Man o man you all are a bunch of softies. :roll:
and I'm right there with ya. :|
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:07 pm

All my trial washouts are sold as good foot hunting dogs. They just arent what I am looking for but it doesnt mean they cant serve someone elses needs. There are dogs out there that just cant do anything, they dont get sold but they cant stay here. You cant even give these dogs away and even if you did it would be a bad mark on my reputation and flood the local market with worthless dogs so thats why I dont give dogs away. I do give every dog a chance, probably to much of one to some. :roll: NONE of these animals are pets and because of that you have know when to cut your losses. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:11 pm

But most family Companion HUNTINg dogs get to lay on the couch :wink: :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:31 pm

I have them cut then give them away. I also shred the papers.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:26 pm

Razor wrote:I have them cut then give them away. I also shred the papers.
That's interesting. I "adopted" my current dog when she was five. The breeder required that she get spayed, but also asked that I file the AKC transfer of ownership papers and register the dog. They wanted to be sure the dog was placed in a home where she would be hunted, and also encouraged me to join NAVHDA to help me train her.

I didn't want a bunch of GSP puppies running around here anyway, and I sure didn't want a pet / couch potato, I wanted a dog that would hunt so I was OK with all of it. But in the end, I got both anyway - a hunting couch potato! :D Honestly though, she earns her sofa time.

Bowbldr

Post by Bowbldr » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Just found out Lucy, my 2 yr old GSP has no hip socket or ball in her left hind leg. She ain't going to cut it as my hunt all day for the next 9 years dog. I couldn't take her out even for a walk today so what did she do.... licked my hand when I scratched her ears, got up in my recliner and she's waiting patiently for me to finish this so she can have a lap to sit in. She did chew on my hat a bit but I'm keeping the dog.

I've worked 4 days on my teenagers science project. I think I'm going to bring home an A but that's a different story. After 15-20 hours on this project my teenager comes up and says "thanks, can I have $20" Kid may have to go to Boot Camp. I ain't sure she's going to cut it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:26 am

You would be surprised
I ahve a little guy who I use for guiding wasn't till he was 7 years old before I had to have some surgery done on him
he had no hip socket either

he is over 11 now and still will hunt age slows him down now but he would go all day
for the larger days i gave him a baby aspirin and also made sure he was on some glucosimine

some can truck on very well

I have seen some dyplastic dogs that the only way people knew they were dysplastic is becuse of the x rays as the dogs showed no physical signs at all

then some like my mikey unless you knew what to look for most people had no idea he was dysplastic and when i had the surgeries done the femoral head ostectomies he was back to being a bouncing happy hunter

for breeding purposes well he was neutered never to be bred but he still was an awesome little birddog

Jager

Post by Jager » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:13 am

Remember the movie, "Biscuit Eater".
Dear Lord, Please make me the kind of person my dogs think I am.

http://www.allnkennels.com

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:08 am

You talkin' 'bout the 1940s version?
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:11 pm

It depends on the specific dog. If I have a dog that I am very attached to but won't cut it in the trials, I might just keep them as a good wild bird dog, especially if they are bred well. If I have a dog that is not going to cut it but would make a great dog for a hunter or someone who wanted a good trained dog but cannot afford the usual going rate, I might make someone a good deal on him letting that person know why I have chosen to sell the dog. I just bought a fantastic little four year old bitch from a guy who frankly had too many irons in the fire and she just ended being the odd dog out for one reason or another. He had 5 dogs in his kennel and in my opinion she was probably the second best. I have seen her hunt and trial before. Part of it was I think they just got on each other's bad side and they both needed a change.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:40 pm

I have one here right now that I am looking to place. She's a gorgeous bitch and a perfect house dog. I've had some show breeders who want to lease her for breeding but I won't allow that to happen. She's got a bad attitude. She hates other Weim bitches (she gets along fantastic with other breeds and males) and is out for herself. She has lots of drive in the field but won't hunt co-operatively for a human. So she'll be spayed and placed in a pet home where she can be a couch potato. Until I find a good home she'll stay here.

I just don't have room for a dog who won't help my breeding program. I have some of her littermates and half sisters available to me for breeding.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Jager wrote:Remember the movie, "Biscuit Eater".

GREAT MOVIE!

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:58 pm

My 5.5. yr old gsp would be considered what is being said here as a "washout". I will admit there was some disppointment as the money and time spent made it a call on what the wife would allow. Will I be able to start over? How will the finances support this? ect....etc.. But the bottome line, My Elroy is part of the family , and he has proven to be anything but a washout in his own special way. If it wasn't for him, who would unlock and open up the door to let the other one out?? He can foot hunt, but will not retrieve.He steady, but not perfect. He his one great house dog & I look foward to seeing his stubby waggin away everyday when I come home.
Bill L.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:42 pm

None of my dogs are perfect.... I dont care I'm far from perfect myself, if they will tolerate me I''ll return the favor
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:26 pm

I have a 1 1/2 yo Weim "Beau" he was sold to me as a PET. He is now in training by myself, and Mike at LocknLoad. He is learning quick. He was only 11 months when i got him, and he was just not willing to learn because he was in a complete puppy state of mind. He is slowly coming out of that, and he is learning QUICK. Now this saturday I go to pick up Cooper a 1 1/2 yo GWP that if you read my posts i traded a rifle for, and can't wait!! back on the subject...i can't get rid of a dog if it doesnt work out. I bought him knowing that he may not work out, I buy all dogs whether puppy or young knowing that it is a chances game whether they will hunt or not. So im always prepared if they do not....I have an extra spot on my king size bed, and an extra seat in my truck. They can make me proud to own them even if they never hunt.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:37 pm

If we raise them from our own breeding or as a purchased pup, they have forever homes with us.

We have had one dog we bought as an adult that wasn't going to work out. We were trying to rehome him but things went from bad to worse, so we sent him back to the kennel from which we bought him. IF he hadn't had a temperament problem and we had unlimited kennel space, he would have had a home with us, even though he couldn't hunt worth a darn. As it was, we couldn't risk anything more on him and wouldn't tolerate keeping him. We would have had him put down if the kennel wouldn't have taken him back.

WolfMansDad

Post by WolfMansDad » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:48 pm

My first setter was somebody else's washout. She belonged to my dad's boss and had been professionally "finished," but he was disappointed in her performance in the field. He already had four dogs, and he gave her to me along with a copy of Wolters. That dog taught me how to bird hunt, which was an amazing experience to a kid who had only run hounds before. By "real" standards I guess she wasn't great, but she was good enough that we took home a quail or two every time we went out, which was typically four or five times a week in season until I went off to college. (We lived in the country, and I hunted after school whenever the weather was good.) She became a pet for my parents and sister after that, but I always loved that dog.

I wouldn't have gotten into this sport if he had held onto his "washout." I was and remain deeply grateful for the kindness he showed when he got rid of a dog that wasn't working for him, and I think the dog enjoyed her new life as well.

rich

Post by rich » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:32 am

GIVE IT AWAY TO A GOOD HOME THERE ARE A LOT OF FOLKS OUT THERE THAT WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A WELL TRAINED DOG.

I THINKING THE DOG DOESNT CUT IT AS IN; SOFT , NOT INTERESTED IN BIRDS ,SLOW LIKE IN PUTTERER. WONT HUNT AT ALL?

IN SELECTING A PUP YOU MUST CHECK OUT THE PARENTS. IF THEY ARE WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR GO FOR IT. OR:

GET A TWO YEAR OLD DOG THAT HAS BEEN PROFFESSIONALY TRAINED. SPEND TIME WITH THE TRAINER AND MAKE SURE THE DOG MEETS YOUR EXPECTETIONS

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:13 am

I dump them. I have no patience for a sub standard animal. I try to just give them to a family that wants a nice pet. One thing I'll guarantee you, if I don't think it's going to be a very good dog, it's gone. I give my dogs all of the time, devotion, and training I can. If they aren't willing to respond in kind, they're gone. Like is too short to live with a marginal dog. I just can't bear the thought of having to look at a less than average dog for the next 12-15 years.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.