Irish Setter

Gridiron and Grouse

Irish Setter

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:37 am

My brother in law is all jazzed up now that he's seen my new V. He already has 2 dogs and plenty of room, but neither are gundogs. He really wants to get one.....because of a sentimental attachment, he's really looking for an Irish Setter. I understand (and have told him) that it can difficult to find a quality Irish Setter that will hunt.

Does anyone know of any kennels? Kennels in or around PA would be even better. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Gridiron and Grouse on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Irish Setter

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:51 am

G & G -

Have him check out these folks...

www.nrsftc.com

There absolutely ARE some fantastic Irish setters out there, and I'm talking bird dogs. You don't need to look much farther than PA, either. You need to look at dogs that are dual registered FDSB and AKC or FDSB registered. Most of the folks on the NRSFTC list are breeding performance dogs that can compete successfully with pointers and setters in AFTCA shooting dog stakes. Pups from dogs like that can do anything you have in mind in the way of bird hunting.

The majority of the Irish setters that are registered AKC only have their roots in the show dogs. I'm not saying you cannot find an AKC registered dog that is a decent hunter, but why go through the aggravation when you can probably go to pretty much any one of the breeders or kennels on the site above and get a quality hunting dog. The field bred dual registered dogs do tend to be smaller in stature and carry around less hair(some, like Doc Boser's dogs, a lot less hair) than their show bred brethren.

Just my 2 cents.

RayG

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks Ray! I'd read a lot about the splitting of the breed into field and show. He'll be really excited to know there are quality breeders close by!

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:45 pm

The red setter field trial club website is a great place to start.
Bearcat Kennels, Conneaut Creek Kennels, Celtic Kennels, and Joe Edwards all have high performance field irish setters.
As with any breed - do lots of research, visit and meet the kennel owner/operators, and talk with dog owners out of any kennel before you take the plunge and purchase a puppy.

Good Luck.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Doc Boser's dogs are first rate - Al and Deb Fazenbaker are close by in OH. There are others.

I own 3 irish setters - one is FDSB registered from Don Beauchamp and is a great young dog. One is AKC registered and comes for Stan ZZZ's kennel. One is from Georgia Brown's kennels and is AKC registered. All are pretty nice dogs and are very athletic.

Keith Hickam Sr.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Send Jetto on this board a PM. She has 2 nice Irish Setters that she field trials, and they're not red setters....they're real Irish Setters. Flynn has adult placements and points and Joey, their newest addition, has juvenile placements. She lives in OH so may be able to send your frined in the right direction.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:08 pm

[quote="Karen"]Send Jetto on this board a PM. She has 2 nice Irish Setters that she field trials, and they're not red setters....they're real Irish Setters. Flynn has adult placements and points and Joey, their newest addition, has juvenile placements. She lives in OH so may be able to send your frined in the right direction.[/quote]

Just about as real as that brittany in your avatar resembles a true brush pig! I wish the AKC folks would get over themselves they just took the red dogs and the pointer or english setter and went behind the barn and didn't say anything, the "red setter" folks were not afraid of what they faced and did it in the open!

I have a 11 month old female out of Dr. Boser's Aiken ex Solitaire and she came out of her momma broke, also have a older brother 2.5 yrs to WCH's dog from Don Beauchamp's kennel who is a very nice dog but a lot of dog for most people to handle and sometimes more then I care to handle.

47sgs

Post by 47sgs » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Go to www.settersunlimited, then to Berg Bros. setters, then our red setters. Scott has excellent dogs, and is extremely particular about his breedings. I have two of his dogs, and they're awesome

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:41 pm

gmanksu wrote:
Karen wrote:Send Jetto on this board a PM. She has 2 nice Irish Setters that she field trials, and they're not red setters....they're real Irish Setters. Flynn has adult placements and points and Joey, their newest addition, has juvenile placements. She lives in OH so may be able to send your frined in the right direction.
Just about as real as that brittany in your avatar resembles a true brush pig! I wish the AKC folks would get over themselves they just took the red dogs and the pointer or english setter and went behind the barn and didn't say anything, the "red setter" folks were not afraid of what they faced and did it in the open!

I have a 11 month old female out of Dr. Boser's Aiken ex Solitaire and she came out of her momma broke, also have a older brother 2.5 yrs to WCH's dog from Don Beauchamp's kennel who is a very nice dog but a lot of dog for most people to handle and sometimes more then I care to handle.
Holy Cow! I'm not even sure what the heck that's suppose to mean. I never said the reds weren't nice dogs (neither Irish or Red setters are my cup of tea) and I've seen several dogs from Dr. Boser's breeding (In fact, my trainer, the guy that trains the "brush pig" in my avatar, has 2 from his breeding now and thinks quite highly of them) but the OP asked for info on "IRISH SETTERS", not red setters and they are different, although nowhere did I say the reds were bad either. And Jetto has 2 IRISH SETTERS that she is field trialing successfully.

Now back to the OP. I have a friend in PA with a red setter bitch for sale out of Jack Flynn's stuff (I believe she's cross registered AKC/FDSB), and right around a year old. Not sure why she's for sale, but I do believe they're working on breaking her now and will continue training until she's sold. Let me know if you want contact info.
ImageImage

Gridiron and Grouse

Post by Gridiron and Grouse » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:40 pm

Thanks everyone. I passed all of this info his way!

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Karen wrote:Send Jetto on this board a PM. She has 2 nice Irish Setters that she field trials, and they're not red setters....they're real Irish Setters. Flynn has adult placements and points and Joey, their newest addition, has juvenile placements. She lives in OH so may be able to send your frined in the right direction.
The Red Setter is a "real" Irish Setter!! :!:
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Okay, I get it now. You all just WANT to fight. Go at it. I'll have no part.
ImageImage

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:35 pm

FWIW -

I have seen a bunch of "mahogany" colored setters over the last few years. Of what I have seen Doc Boser's, as a group, are among the best birdfinders I have ever seen of any breed.

I will say this without reservation...the only dogs I have ever seen that would make me change breeds are Jack Flynn's Irish setters. They do it right and do it with style to burn. if one of his dogs is available, you should look at it. Might be more dog than you are ready for, but, if it is anything like what I have seen of his, you won't be disappointed.

RayG

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:32 pm

Ray - I worked an irish setter out of Speedie Edie and Rocky's Straight Arrow bred by Jack Flynn- Man what a dog ! Jim Michaletz and I just loved to watch her run and point birds. I also had a full brother to Speedie Edie - named Gus that I worked this summer for Jim Baker - in that dogs first trial, the first time handled by Jim after Gus came home - he won an all breed AKC Open Derby stake - I watched him 2 wks ago - just blew out the front of a course. 8) He was a great joy to work too.

Keith
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp