AKC Testing vs. Trialing

GSPVIZ

AKC Testing vs. Trialing

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question but what is the main difference between Testing and Trialing?

I know most people on this board talk about Trialing but do you also hunt test your dogs?

Dave Quindt

Re: AKC Testing vs. Trialing

Post by Dave Quindt » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:24 pm

Testing is a pass/fail method of judging your dog's performance; either you pass or you don't regardless of what other dogs in the event do. You are judged only against the written standard of the event, as seen through the eyes of the judge. Kinda like a driver's exam. NAVHDA events are tests as well.

Trialing is a competition; but still judged against the standard. The dogs that give performances that best meet the standard of the event get the placements (1st thru 4th in AKC events). If no dog meets the judges' interpretation of the standard, then no dog gets a placement.

Both formats have objective and subjective aspects to the judging.

Some of us do both (hunt test & trials) and many more have started with the hunt tests and then grown into trialing.

JMO,
Dave

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Thanks Dave.

I think I am going to go for a JH title this spring with my dogs (I need to do something after the hunting season to keep me busy!)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:11 pm

GSPVIZ -

Although I mostly trial, I have been to a few hunt tests. Seen some nice dogs too.

I think hunt tests might be a great way to get your feet wet and have some fun while you are at it.

JH stakes are an entry level event, both for you and your dogs, so that is fairly low pressure. That is the neat thing about AKC hunt tests. You can pick a level of competition that is appropriate for you and your dog. In trials, once the dog has reached a certain age, it MUST move up to the next level.

The other thing about hunt tests versus trials, is that in a hunt test, if the dog does the job, it gets recognized. In a trial, even if your dog does a very nice job, it still might not get recognized because they only give out maximum of four placements, regardless of how many dogs are entered in that stake. It can be a little disheartening, but that is also part of field trialing...your dog has got to beat the others to place.

The other barriers to competing are also quite low as the entry fees are fairly reasonable and the need for "extra stuff" is pretty minimal.

If you are interested in seeing the trial side, the Maryland Sporting Dog Assn. will be hosting a weekend trial, Feb. 7 & 8, 2009 down here in Petersburg, DE. They usually run both walking and horseback stakes and almost always have a wrangler. It is a good place to see what a field trial is all about. Maybe not as nice as the English Setter Club grounds, but if the weather cooperates, its not bad at all. I will almost certainly be there.

RayG

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:37 pm

I like to put my young dogs thru SH to get their feet wet and give them some experience before just throwing them in a trial. It is good exposure and experience for them, IMO.
brenda

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:58 pm

RayGubernat wrote:GSPVIZ -

Although I mostly trial, I have been to a few hunt tests. Seen some nice dogs too.

I think hunt tests might be a great way to get your feet wet and have some fun while you are at it.

JH stakes are an entry level event, both for you and your dogs, so that is fairly low pressure. That is the neat thing about AKC hunt tests. You can pick a level of competition that is appropriate for you and your dog. In trials, once the dog has reached a certain age, it MUST move up to the next level.

The other thing about hunt tests versus trials, is that in a hunt test, if the dog does the job, it gets recognized. In a trial, even if your dog does a very nice job, it still might not get recognized because they only give out maximum of four placements, regardless of how many dogs are entered in that stake. It can be a little disheartening, but that is also part of field trialing...your dog has got to beat the others to place.

The other barriers to competing are also quite low as the entry fees are fairly reasonable and the need for "extra stuff" is pretty minimal.

If you are interested in seeing the trial side, the Maryland Sporting Dog Assn. will be hosting a weekend trial, Feb. 7 & 8, 2009 down here in Petersburg, DE. They usually run both walking and horseback stakes and almost always have a wrangler. It is a good place to see what a field trial is all about. Maybe not as nice as the English Setter Club grounds, but if the weather cooperates, its not bad at all. I will almost certainly be there.

RayG
Unfortunately, I'm always fifth. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:08 pm

RayGubernat wrote: If you are interested in seeing the trial side, the Maryland Sporting Dog Assn. will be hosting a weekend trial, Feb. 7 & 8, 2009 down here in Petersburg, DE
Hey Ray,

I believe there is also a Field Test in Petersburg on the 14th and 15th of Feb that I may enter.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:11 pm

GSPVIZ -

Let me know if you do enter. I'll stop over if I'm not at another trial. The Diamond State folks are good people. You will have a good time.

RayG

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:06 pm

The hunt test have a lot more relaxed atmosphere I believe as well. Sometimes the competition of the field trial can get some people worked up. People get worked up at HT test to, but there is not the competition aspect of it. I got my dog's JH last year, it was really not that difficult. I am sure that you and your dogs will do fine. Just try to walk a brace or two before you actually go out and then you will understand what is expected of you and your dog. That way things will go a lot smoother.

Brandon

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Matt:
I think you should definitely do hunt tests with your dogs. I am sure you will get a lot of satisfaction out of that. Given your dogs are already 2 years old - past the "Derby" qualifications - they would need to be fully broke to compete in trials. So that may be something to aspire to in the future. You should definitely check out some of the trials at the Setter club, rent a horse and ride a brace or two. It is very interesting and quite entertaining for a bird dog enthusiast. It sure seems like your dogs are coming along well. When I met you only 4 months ago or so, you didn't know squat about all of this, and since then you got your FID card, bought a shotgun, intro'd you dogs to check cords, the collar, birds, guns, and have been hunting with your Viszla. And you have done all of this on your own. Very impressive! You are a great example of what ambition along with GDF and a place to train can do for someone. You are still a young guy and have added a new dimension to your life.
G

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words Gary. I sure am enjoying myself. I want to thank you personally for helping me along the way. We need to meet up soon for a hunt or training session or even to blast some clays.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:45 pm

Sounds like a plan. As for clays, I am tentative to shoot with a couple of guys from SGW on Jan 4th. I'll keep you posted.