Brits vs GSP

pstrman

Brits vs GSP

Post by pstrman » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:26 pm

I was thinking about getting a GSP from a no kill shelter but have somewhat changed my mind as I read articles here. I want a dog that I can hunt with and one that is a good family dog. I also own a sailboat and want one that will not be afraid to jump in the water as my previous GSP did not like water and would run like crazy to the edge of the water for a retrieve then tip toe into the water. She always retrieved but took lots of coaxing. I guess I am asking for input as to which breed would be a better choice for all around. I did love my GSP and have never owned a brit.

My next question is there is a guy in town that his brit is expecting puppies the end of Jan. The dad looks good and is trained to hunt but the bitch is gun shy. What are the chances of the pups being gun shy also hence eliminating my hunting buddy.

I do not believe these dogs are papered but that isn't important to me as neither was my GSP and she out preformed all other dogs we ever hunted with.

Any way thanks in advance for all your help as I am a newbie to the forum.

Bryan

bobman

Re: Brits vs GSP

Post by bobman » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Thats a shame if these comments on here made you believe a GSP out of a shelter isn't worth a chance many bird dogs in shelters are simply there becasue they are too active for the morons that get them for the wrong reasons and can be made into excellent bird dogs.

I know this for a fact because I'm 10 for 10 on shelter/rescue bird dogs turning out to be excellent hunters.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:48 pm

Brian,,, man have you came to the right place to start a "breed vs. breed" thread. My personal view from what you have said is the GSP might be a better choice,,, in my experience they tend to enjoy water on the average more than the brits. Other than that one issue, its Dueces. Your going to have the brit people say theirs is the best and show you pics of them swimming, cuddled up to kids and pointing,,,, and the GSP people are going to do the same. If your real lucky your going to get a pic of one of them jumping off a dock holding a kid chasing a duck. I would however suggest no matter what breed you decide,,,, go with a papered dog from a reputable breeder,,, on the average you will be happier, the dog will have better temperment and hunting desire. There are plenty of nice litters with good breeders on the For Sale page, call them and talk to them.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:50 pm

I would be happy with a Brit or a GSP. ( I've had 2 GSPs.) Both are great in the house if they get enough exercise. The Brit is a little smaller and has more hair to pull burrs from. :) Both are good on birds if from the proper breeder and properly trained.
If you're looking for an in the water retrieving dog, get a GSP. ( to be comfortable in the water , pup needs to be in the water from a very young age. If I wanted a from the water retrieving dog, I would make sure I got the pup in the spring, This would give me many months to work in the water when pup was young.)
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:57 pm

Well let's see...... a GSP from a shelter that you know nothing about ....or a Brit pup from a known gun shy momma.

Why would you want either?? Is it that you are looking for a deal?? If you want a "pet" than either would probably work, but if you are looking for a hunting companion ...than there are FAR better options. JMO

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:57 pm

R-Heaton wrote:Brian,,, man have you came to the right place to start a "breed vs. breed" thread. My personal view from what you have said is the GSP might be a better choice,,, in my experience they tend to enjoy water on the average more than the brits. Other than that one issue, its Dueces. Your going to have the brit people say theirs is the best and show you pics of them swimming, cuddled up to kids and pointing,,,, and the GSP people are going to do the same. If your real lucky your going to get a pic of one of them jumping off a dock holding a kid chasing a duck. I would however suggest no matter what breed you decide,,,, go with a papered dog from a reputable breeder,,, on the average you will be happier, the dog will have better temperment and hunting desire. There are plenty of nice litters with good breeders on the For Sale page, call them and talk to them.

Excellent post/advice.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:10 pm

Well let's see...... a GSP from a shelter that you know nothing about ....or a Brit pup from a known gun shy momma.

Why would you want either?? Is it that you are looking for a deal?? If you want a "pet" than either would probably work, but if you are looking for a hunting companion ...than there are FAR better options. JMO
I concur ,find a reputable breeder if you want a quality dog..

If you want to save a dog and train it to be a decent dog then head for the shelter..

just my suggestion

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:25 pm

Yawallac wrote:Well let's see...... a GSP from a shelter that you know nothing about ....or a Brit pup from a known gun shy momma.

I agree Whole heartedly

If your looking for a potential of a good dog stack the deck in your favor

Not all dogs will like water

but to breed a gunshy female...Sorry that should be spayed not being used to mill out litters...Look for a litter where Both dam and sire are worked on birds via hunting and or trialing...Sorry but nothing I would consider

now if you go to a rescue progam you might find a dog that has some potential but many of the rescue dogs end up in rescue for reasons

if you only have room fr one dog you may seek out a started dog or a pup from a breeder that is a little more selective about their breeding stock :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Mr October

Post by Mr October » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:49 pm

A few things about the post- A Brit or GSP temperment is part blood and part how they are raised and trained. I have seen them both be bad dogs around people, kids, and other dogs and I have also seen the other side that makes you think they are the best family dogs this side of a lab.
Brits benefits- smaller dog, won't shed nearly as much and are usually good hunters/ Con- If you are a pheasant hunter, cockle burrs are horrible, snow in the pads is another issue. If you do get one, use a beard razor for trimming pads.
GSP- Strong drive work a little bigger area than a Brit, most are good swimmers, no burrs/Con- shedding white or brn hairs everywhere, can be somehwat distant as a pet.

Mr October

Post by Mr October » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:53 pm

To add- My buddy in SD has got his last 3 GSP's from shelters or were strays and they have all turned into great hunters. I guess it helps when you shoot a 100 roosters over a dog during the season.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Mr October wrote:A few things about the post- A Brit or GSP temperment is part blood and part how they are raised and trained. I have seen them both be bad dogs around people, kids, and other dogs and I have also seen the other side that makes you think they are the best family dogs this side of a lab.
Brits benefits- smaller dog, won't shed nearly as much and are usually good hunters/ Con- If you are a pheasant hunter, cockle burrs are horrible, snow in the pads is another issue. If you do get one, use a beard razor for trimming pads.
GSP- Strong drive work a little bigger area than a Brit, most are good swimmers, no burrs/Con- shedding white or brn hairs everywhere, can be somehwat distant as a pet.
Very good post . I have to disagree on one thing - I've had two GSPs and both were not distant - warm, loving, want to cuddle dogs. Mine were in the house so that might make a difference.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:15 pm

I guess I can't speak for all GSPS out there but I have owned them since 1974 & seriously bred them for the last 14 yrs & where you get they are distant as pets sure doesn't describe the ones I have owned or bred.The more attention you give them the more they want.They just simply crave attenion & to be worked & hunted. :D

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:19 pm

kninebirddog wrote:if you only have room fr one dog you may seek out a started dog or a pup from a breeder that is a little more selective about their breeding stock :wink:
unless you just really want a puppy this is a good option, then you actually see what you are getting, for example, you should know if they like the water or not by the "started" age.

pstrman

Post by pstrman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:10 pm

These reply's are great thank you. I was also having an issue with the gun shy dog that's why I asked. I am not necessarily looking for a deal but then I also don't have a lot of money either. I understand dogs cost money and all that but you know what I mean.

Thank you for all the input as it is always used to either close doors or open new ones.

Bryan

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:17 pm

save up get a pup or even check around rescues from outdoor type rescuers who can evaluate their wards some
take your time something will work out
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birdsandbirds

Post by birdsandbirds » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:22 pm

Gun shyness is man made. There have been several champions whose mother was no more than a gun shy brood female. i can make a Ch dog gun shy in 5 min so does that make it worthless just because of something i did in 5 min?

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Gun shyness is man made.
Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. You really need to quit while your ahead. :oops:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:35 pm

There is training knowledge available to help the dog owner prevent their dog from becoming gunshy in all but the most severe cases of temperament issues. There are also dogs that the most negligent person cannot make into a gunshy dog despite their efforts to the contrary. As a breeder it is pointless (and perhaps irresponsible) to breed dogs with the underlying temperament that predisposes them to becoming gunshy thereby requiring the owners to avail the training knowledge.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 pm

Yawallac wrote:
Gun shyness is man made.
Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. You really need to quit while your ahead. :oops:
Funny, I was just reading in Eastern Upland Shooting about a Cornell University study on gunshy dogs, and it appears that it is not necessarily manmade.

I agree with the poster on page 1 that said "take some time and something will work out." Keep on the forums and talk to folks and the right dog will come along for you.

As for the Britt vs GSP I have learned from this site that there will bigger variances between individual dogs than the breeds themselves, other than size and color of course. Just look for the right dog as recommended by others here.

P.S. But I am partial to Britts :)

birdsandbirds

Post by birdsandbirds » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:56 pm

Yawallac,
Have you ever owned a dog out of a gun shy dog? not wanting to fight just curious as i have and wanting to know what you thought of the pups?

By the way you would be suprised at what webmd can dignose over the internet when you have a itch. :D :D

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:07 pm

Have you ever owned a dog out of a gun shy dog? not wanting to fight just curious as i have and wanting to know what you thought of the pups?
I believe that gunshyness can be manmade ...if it was then the pups could be normal. I also believe that gunshyness can be genetic ...and if it was then I wouldn't want a puppy from that litter. Since this person does not know whether the dam of the litter was made gunshy then my recommendation was to look elsewhere.

But to answer your question directly, I would never knowingly get a pup from a gunshy dam. That's just me.

birdsandbirds

Post by birdsandbirds » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:12 pm

are there any lines of any breed that tend to be gunshy? tight line breeding will expose this sometimes.