For those with multiple dogs...

tizzy

For those with multiple dogs...

Post by tizzy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:39 am

I've been thinking about getting a bird dog, and this would be the second dog in our house. I haven't decided on a breed yet (that's a topic for another post), but it will be a house dog. Our current dog is an ankle-biter, just a pet. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the logistics of taking in a second dog.

We have two children, ages 3 and 6. Pretty much every weekend during the summer we are busy going somewhere...family members' cabin, in-laws house, visiting family down south. It's fairly easy to bring a 20-lb dog with us, but adding a second dog presents problems. First, there's not enough room in the car for another crate. Second, I don't think it would fair to the dog to leave him in an outdoor kennel for the weekend when he's accustomed to being indoors. Third, I can't afford to send him to a boarding kennel. Fourth, that gets to be a lot to burden other family members with. 2 kids AND 2 dogs...they may stop inviting us!

Does anyone out there have a similar situation and/or any suggestions for making it work? I'm tired of hunting without a good dog!

Wagner

Re: For those with multiple dogs...

Post by Wagner » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 am

We just added a second dog, and your right it is more difficult with two. What I would suggest is hiring someone to stay at your house while you are away. I would look for a resposible 17 or over person that you trust. Younger people love to have a house to themselves plus your dogs are familiar with their surroundings I pay about 40 a day but my dogs are younger =$$$$

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:39 am

I am probably not going to be of any help here but if my dogs aren't welcome I don't go. Plain and simple. Unless it is just a few hours. We have 4 dogs offten 5 with a foster in the mix and they go everywhere with us on the weekends. No on gets left behind. Hotel stays and all.

If you don't think the dog can come with I would wait til they can. JMPO.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

littlehunterkennels

Post by littlehunterkennels » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:32 pm

We have 8 dogs, 6 shorthairs and two boarder collies, and are added a nineth this weekend, all which live in the house when not outside being exercised. having multiple dogs takes some ajusting but you'll get used to it once you are already taking one dog what difference does it make if you take two or three or four... I agree with MOOSE if you two dogs arent welcomed I wouldn't go and if you cant take and still want to go we also find a friend or someone to let them out or take care of them. Best of luck Jami

LEGLIFTER

Post by LEGLIFTER » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:45 pm

MOOSE wrote:I am probably not going to be of any help here but if my dogs aren't welcome I don't go. Plain and simple. Unless it is just a few hours. We have 4 dogs offten 5 with a foster in the mix and they go everywhere with us on the weekends. No on gets left behind. Hotel stays and all.

+1

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:46 pm

By your handle I don't know if you are the hubby or the wife. If the hubby... how does the wife feel about a 2nd dog? She is really the person who will take care of the dogs, and both babies. If she isn't on board......

In our house, I am the wife and dog person. So, it's really become up to me, but I do take hubby's feelings into consideration. No kids here, so don't have that pressure.

A 3 yr old, and a 6 yr old and a dog... that can fill most people's plates. You will need a car to carry all of the dogs and kids and their stuff. You will need to find a way to have dog care when you are away from home. You will need to find time to exercise, train, hunt, etc, and then do soccer, gymnastics, school activities.... you get the picture.

Can you do it? Sure! Question is... can you do it all and do right by everyone?
Think hard.......only you will know the correct answer!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

tizzy

Post by tizzy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:19 pm

MOOSE wrote:I am probably not going to be of any help here but if my dogs aren't welcome I don't go. Plain and simple. Unless it is just a few hours. We have 4 dogs offten 5 with a foster in the mix and they go everywhere with us on the weekends. No on gets left behind. Hotel stays and all.

You make a great point!

As far as my wife, YES she is on board with this. I work from home, so I definitely have the time for training, exercise, etc., as well as time to devote to my family.

I talked to a hunting buddy about my predicament today, and he agreed to dogsit for me anytime we need it. This could work out after all!

Thanks all for setting me straight :D

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:28 pm

The best thing about two dogs - there's a big difference between going from one dog to two, but there's hardly any difference going from two to three! :D

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Well then...... start shopping!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Mine sleep inside at night, stay outside in the kennel/backyard in the day. I've left them many times for a weekend outside in the kennel when I went out of town and just got a friend to stop by once a day and let them out and feed them. I don't believe they think any less of me :roll: When I had one I took her w/ me....not w/ multiple dogs, too much to ask in my opinion.

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:54 pm

i have 4-5 dogs at my house at any givin time and they always go with me some times i may have to leave 2 at home sometimes. if your woried about crate space get a soft colapsible crate the dont take up hardly any space.
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:48 pm

This isn't exactly the same for your situation because you have 2 kids to fit in the car as well but maybe its just a different vehicle you need. It also depends on your dog. Luckily you have one dog that wont need as much room. So it should be pretty easy to accommodate whatever breed of dog you decide on.

I have a 99' 2 door Chevy Tahoe. I use it for 4 wheeling and what not so I wanted a shorter vehicle that was easier to lift. Lucky enough I am also a carpenter so I built a box that fits perfectly inside of the back doors of my Tahoe. And when I needed it to be for 2 dogs, it wasn't hard at all to put a partition in the middle. And they fit in there great.Takes away on the storage space, but I am usually alone or with one other person so we have the whole back seat for a spot to put our stuff. My point is... With 2 separate crates you have a lot of dead space. If you have a box built for 2 you can not only save space but create into the shape that you need it to fit. For Example: I build mine to hold my spare tire on top so I could use that space for other stuff.

If you have someone handy with tools around, or you are... Or have a good lumber store near by they can give you ideas on what wood is light and strong(What I would suggest is some AC grade Douglas Fur Plywood. AC grade means it looks nicer on the outside so if and when you stain it, it looks good and save you money. You could use thin like 1/4" for the side and top, and 1/2" for the bottom and back. That should be fairly light.). Although you want to it to be solid. You need it light so its at least somewhat easy to get in and out of the car with you and your wife. Or kid when they get a bit older. The first one I made (im a bit of a young gun I guess) I made it out of thick walnut. i happen to like the look of walnut so it works great as a side table in my room. But its HEAVY and its not something I want to be bringing down out of my truck after a long drive/hunting trip.

Hope this helps
Justin

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:58 pm

If I were in your situation I'd stick to a smaller breed like a French Brittany. They're tiny, but they can get the job done if you find a good field breeding. Both of my dogs travel in the same crate all winter long and they don't mind a bit. They also sleep cuddled up to each other at night and that's by their own choice, not forced upon them like the crate. My dogs stay outside during the day and come in the garage at night. My first dog made some noise at times when left outside until the second dog came along. Now all is quiet in the kennel. I guess I'm trying to say that dogs seem to enjoy having a canine companion.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:08 pm

Not trying to offend here, but I would wait. You sound quite busy and the average demands of a gun dog require quite a bit of time. Based on what you said, you are gone an average of 1/4 of the weekends per year that your dog is not welcome (assuming a 3m summer). Now add to this holidays and misc weekends and you you are probably up to 1/3 of the weekends per year easy. Now add a day to pack and a day to unpack and during that time frame you have 3 days per week for your dog. You also stated your buddy will watch the dog whenever you are gone. 1-3 weekends per year are easy, but I doubt he would be will do so for the amount of time your needing. You must also consider the time it takes to train a bird dog and keep them in shape. The dog will need exercise EVERY day plus obedience and bird work.

A birddog is every hunters dream, unfortunately they do not come without cost, committment, and sacrifice. You and your family sound like you have a very busy lifestyle and would be better off staying a one dog household.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:44 pm

Maybe consider doing an older trained hunting dog to not have to worry about the training part.

Oh and with our 4-5 dogs we also tote along a 2 year old little boy. Quite a feat but it is worth it!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

gsdgspgirlz

Post by gsdgspgirlz » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:00 pm

we always have muliple dogs, at one time in the early 90's ,we had 19 dogs. I was in heaven since I am the dog person in our household, my husband , not so much,until he wanted to go hunting.Jami helped with the whelping of one of the litters, and it was quite LARGE!!! I currently have 4 dogs, 1female gsp and 3female gsd's , just loss my alpha gsd male a month ago, so the dynamics have shifted a bit in the house. Jess , our youngest daughter just moved home from college with her 2 female gsp's so we have all females (but I am the QUEEN ALPHA in the house) everyone must get along.period.
I agree with moose, you might want to get an older,trained one so it is not so much work for you nd your family, that way the dog is not a burden,if the finances allow. If you decide to wait ,have it be a family decision, where the kids have a say on what dog they want , it makes it a special event for them. That's how Jami got her 2nd shorthair, her first one was a gift!!!!!
Have fun and good luck in what you decide.
we also have someome come in to watch them if I have an agility trial out of state, go on vacation, or I stay at a hotel that allows dogs, they are very accomadating. all our true friends know that I have dogs, and I can bring them to my decretion, depending on the outing.Mine are very well trained so it is never a problem, our friends enjoy having them around!

tizzy

Post by tizzy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:29 am

Thanks everyone for your responses. We have decided to wait a year or so and then reevaluate our lifestyle. The timing just isn't right at this moment.

The good news, however, is that my brother-in-law recently acquired a lab from an animal rescue, so I'm going to be helping him get it trained for upland hunting. It seems the dog was a duck hunter before his owner lost his house and had to give him up. Should be a fun experience!

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:26 am

French Brittany tiny?? Those are fightin words :lol: I prefer to think of mine as Pocket Rockets!

Going from 2 dogs to 3 was a bigger transition for me. They all want attention at the same time, and here I am with only 2 hands. After that, adding the 4th was easy, and I will be adding a 5th this year when Ardoise has her next litter. It can be difficult doing things at times. I can't leave for an extended time unless I can take them with me. I just plan around the dogs, which for me, being single and no kids at home anymore, is easy, plus I have a dog trailer so hauling them around is not a problem. I can't imagine doing it if I had young children at home, there just wouldn't be enough time to do either of them justise.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

WolfMansDad

Post by WolfMansDad » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:11 pm

At some point, when you get enough dogs and kids, it becomes easier for other people to come and visit you, rather than going to visit them.