Stud Dog Choices

BrettBryan

Stud Dog Choices

Post by BrettBryan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:51 am

I had a fellow contact me yesterday with an Elhew bred female pointer. He wants to raise a litter of pups out of her. He bought her at Yellow Rose Kennels in TX. She's bred Yellow Rose Sarge x Yellow Rose Shug. I know it's hard to recommend a stud dog without seeing the dam. But, paperwise, what would match up decent with this female? I've thought about recommending a few names to him so far. Elhew Fibber McGee, Elhew Sinbad, or Elhew Explorer.

I'm just trying to help the gentleman out some.

I don't think he's going to field trial these dogs. Just looking for bird dogs.

Do you guys/girls have any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

CherrystoneWeims

Re: Stud Dog Choices

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:09 am

I'm not a pointer person but........

Without seeing the bitch in person it will be very hard for you to recommend a stud dog unless the guy can truthfully evaluate her and determine exactly what her strong and weak points are and let you know.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:24 am

Cherrystoneweims, exactly. That's why i just said paperwise, what would match up relatively well. I was just going to give the fellow some options and let him decide the rest. I see Elhewpointer put something out there on ch elhew running tab. That may be a suggestion for the man. I was just trying to send him in a decent direction. I'm not picking out the exact stud dog he should use. That's his decision. This fellow doesn't seem to know very much about the breed. I hate to see him just breed a male dog just because he's right down the road. He's pretty certain he's going to breed her. With or without my help. I was just trying to send him in a decent direction.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:31 am

Brett I would talk with Yawallac (Ross) if I were you & I think he familiar with Yellow Rose & some of their breeding.He could probably steer you in the right direction instead of just blindly guessing.

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:38 am

Maybe, I should just steer this fellow to someone like Ross or someone who breeds a lot of Elhew dogs. They would be more qualified than me to tell him who to take the bitch to.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:51 am

Brett,

check your pm

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:12 am

ElhewPointer, got it. thanks.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:24 am

Kinda of interesting,,,, I have always heard a little Elhew goes along ways but ya don't want to line breed the stuff. I have always thought that Elhew crosses with about anything really well.

Brett,,, how did you get in gsp, I understand you have pretty close ties to the pointer world?

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:38 pm

Brett,

Have your friend call Suzanne or Rick (Yellow Rose). They would be more than happy to offer an opinion. Of the three studs that you mentioned I would go with Sinbad (he's actually an outcross). And I agree with Rich, I like to cross the Elhew stuff.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:49 pm

If you look how my stud dog for example a lot of the Elhew dogs aren't linebred Elhew. He is a son of Fibber, which goes back to Dunn's Fearless Bud. And on the bottom side he goes back to Hanna's Elhew Lou. So I agree with you a little Elhew goes a long ways but I think a lot goes further. :D

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:21 pm

I agree with you a little Elhew goes a long ways but I think a lot goes further.
I never would have guessed that you would feel that way .......ELHEWPOINTER. :lol:

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:32 pm

R-Heaton,
I grew up hunting behind pointers and setters as a youngster. No field trial dogs, just bird dogs. I never could for the life of me figure out why someone would want a dog that you had to ride a horse to keep up with :lol: All I wanted was to hunt behind Lady, a setter that wasn't wide ranging, but could find birds for me. When my dad's last pointer died, I was in High School. The bird numbers really dropped off in the mid-eighties here in West TN, imo. I grew up hunting just about everything, but to me, there was nothing better than bird hunting. I had in my mind that i would one day have a few bird dogs of my own.

When the time was right for me, I chose a GSP pup because I also wanted a house companion. I had heard they made pretty good pets as well as bird dogs. So, that's the direction I went. I got into a few foot hunting field trials because I got tired of walking all day long and not finding any birds. Well, some people say bird dog competitions, but whatever they are, I enjoyed them. I really like seeing the different dogs out there. I've always kind of went my own direction. Not that I want to be different, but just because I thought it's what I wanted to do.

I bought a young English Pointer last year. Well, my dad and I went in together and bought him. I think he wanted him as bad as I did, so it worked out well. He likes watching me work him. I think it reminds him of his younger days when times were different around home.

I do have some ties to the pointer world. The place they draw the braces for the Nat'l CH at the Ames plantation is called Bryan Hall. It is named after my grandad's brother, Mr. Jimmy Bryan. He was the plantation superintendant for a long time. So, Charlie Frank Bryan is my second cousin. I liked talking to him about the dogs he has seen run. He's seen some good ones. I envy that about him.
I know it is in my blood. You know when you have a passion for something. I'm not sure how far it will take me. I have two young kids at home and all I can think about is getting them a couple saddle horses to ride :D I keep telling my wife, yeah, they need to learn how to ride a horse :wink: I'm breaking her in slow to the idea. I'm not sure that what I'm selling her, she's buying though. So, it could be some time before I do something like that. You have to have the right set up or have enough dough to do it. I haven't got to that point yet. I've been thinking about borrowing a horse to run this pointer off of some. But, I've found if you don't own it, it's hard to get much accomplished.

Oh, Rheaton, were you the one with the CH Silver Strike, Idaho Lucky Strike dogs for sale?

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:15 pm

Cool Brett,,,, yea I'm the one with the Idaho's Lucky stuff. I've hosted Charlie Frank out here in the west now 3 times, would consider him a good friend and mentor.

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:15 pm

RHeaton, yeah, i remember seeing that litter on the dogs for sale section. It caught my eye. Seems like it all goes back to some nice old stuff. Red Water Rex stuff. It seems like it would be great stuff.

If you like Charlie Frank, you would have loved his dad. He was a man's man. Booming voice. He had a great sense of humor and could carry on and really make you laugh. From what i've seen of Charlie Frank, he just calls it like he sees it. He told me a few years back that he put a shorthair in the winner's circle out there. I asked him why he had gone and done that, he said, he was the best dog during that particular trial. He's a longtail guy, but thought the short-tailed dog did the best job during that trial. So, I think he just calls it like he sees it.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:06 pm

Yea Brett,,, I suppose you know that I was there on that run,,, I scouted Stitch. I figured CF thought alot of his dad,,,, he talks and tells lots of stories of him. I asked him one time about how many Nationals he has seen it was an incredible number like only missed 3 days in 40 years of running. I would say he has seen some of the finest dogs in the country.

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:43 am

R-Heaton,

That's cool that you scouted the winner that year. Yeah, I wish I had seen the dogs CF's seen. He can tell you some pretty good stories too. I thought this past years Nat'l would have been tough to choose the winner. There were several dogs with around 6 to 8 finds. He told me there was no question. Without a doubt he said. He said Wild Agin poured it on in the final 20 minutes. He said the dog just got stronger and stronger.
I was told by another fellow you may know named Doug Arthur that Wild Agin finished the 3 hours stronger than any other dog he had seen up there in the past 20 years. Sounded pretty impressive.
You ever make it this way, let me know. I'd like to meet you.