How do you know...

scout_on_38s

How do you know...

Post by scout_on_38s » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:43 pm

When its time to put an old dog down? I know this will bring up some memories and stories. But I'm afraid that time is nearing for my old Murphy dog. I'd just like some opinions on such a tough thing to do. Murphy will be 14 in May. He's not sick or unhappy, but he's about as blind as you can get, hearing is minimal, and he's starting to lose quite a bit of the muscle mass he's had up until a year ago or so. He still gets around the house alright, hips are hanging in there but he doesn't pop up off his pillow like he used to. I'm hoping spring gets here quick and some warmer weather will rejuvenate him some. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks- Charlie
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

Russmill84

Re: How do you know...

Post by Russmill84 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:45 pm

always sad to hear that happening. I wish you the best with Murphy for however long he may have.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:41 pm

I will give you my personal opinion. If he is still making it around the house ok and is not sick then just let him live out his life with you. You would not put down ole gramma because she has gone deaf or blind and has lost weight the way older people or animals are apt to do. I am 36 and after years of junior high, high school and college football I do not pop off the pillow like I used to either and my sight is not what it was when I was in my 20's nor is my hearing as good as it used to be. I have no problem in the weight department though. :D I hope my wife doesnt plan to put me down anytime soon. I say if he gets sick then put him down but if not then just let him live with you as long as he will. He deserves it he has been a loyal companion for a long time and has earned some couch potato time.

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:46 pm

That is certainly a thousand dollar question. I recently went through the same thing myself a month ago. Fortunately forme my dog gave me a way out and died of a heart attack hunting birds as he loved to do. I had made my mind up that even if he quit hunting for me I was going to give him a home until I thought he was in pain or he was unable to sustain a somewhat normal lifestyle. Some say when they can't hunt any longer it's time, but I say you stick with them until you know they would rather be gone. It's a very hard decision.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:45 pm

I debated that same question about a yr ago.My old dog Ace was going down hill for several months before dying on his own last Feb.He was 13 & a few mos was eating well untill the last wk but steadily loosing weight & it was hard for me to look at him that way but every day he would bark at me & wag his tail just like he always had & never really seemed to be in pain so there was no way I was going to put him down.If I had seen him suffering in pain I would have done what I thought was best for him but I couldn't do it when he always was glad for me to give him affection & wag his tail.Only you can make those kind of decisions & only you have to live with the decision you do make.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:57 pm

I have seen blind dogs and deaf dogs that did very well. I would think having both problems would be some challenge, but he will probably surprise you how well he can adjust.The dog that went deaf was a house dog and she could read our movements and knew the routines so well I didn't know she was deaf until one day when I took her out in the field for a workout.The dog that went blind knew his kennel dimensions so well he could run the length of the run and hit the opening to go in the building as well as any of the other dogs. He would come to you and my first clue was when I took him out of the kennel one day and he acted lost , just wanted to stand there.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:05 pm

When my dog Whiz couldn't get up anymore, that's what did it for my husband & I. She was 14 1/2 yrs young. We did everthing we could think of to make her twilight years easier (underwater treadmill therapy, pills, massages, shots, accupunture).... when her second hind leg went out & we were carrying her out to go to the bathroom & holding her up, it was time.... I remember I always kept prayin' & wishin' I would just wake up, go down the stairs to find her gone, but to no avail..... Some people believe that there won't be animals in heaven, but I think Jesus wouldn't mind me having my best friend hangin' around until we meet up again... (Ugh, bawling like a baby - I so miss her - SHE WAS SO SPECIAL)....

Cedar Butte Whizbang
Field Bred English Springer Spaniel - 5-5-1993 to 9-15-2007

Image Image
Last edited by Killer Instinct on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:52 pm

I wouldnt put him down until i knew he was in pain. If he is not then he would just be the couch potato he deserves,
Good luck with it
Randy B

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Awww. Charlie, what a hard decision. Dogs just don't live long enough do they? Murphy will let you know when it is time. Really, just somehow you'll know. The procedure is very peaceful, and you kind of take on their suffering, because they have no pain anymore, and you have the pain in your heart. It is pretty intense the first few days, but then it eases, and the good memories filter in. You think another dog could never replace Murphy, and they won't replace him, but... they will help fill the hole left in your heart. That's why I always have 3-4 dogs. Enjoy the time you have with him, and if he's blind, don't move the furniture around. :?

Gee Tammy, hearing about Whiz and Jesus had me crying for my first Daisy, and Bailey, and Missy, and Flash... :cry: I too have many times prayed that I would wake up to find them peacefully gone, so we wouldn't have to take the one way trip to the vet but.... life ain't easy...sigh! :(

Ok, off to hug my dogs. :)
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:15 pm

Sounds like he is doing pretty good:) I always believe they tell you.
brenda

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:17 pm

Thanks everyone, its tough to have to think about the decision to come and I too have started thinking finding him gone would be easiest. He has no pain and is welcome to lay around as long as he wants. That is by no means a problem, sometimes my wife and I wish the 18mo old pup would learn to take it easy like he has. The weight loss does bother me because he was always such an athletic muscalar dog. I know there is no right answer, just wanted to ease my mind and start preparing myself. Thanks again- Charlie
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:56 am

Killer Instinct wrote:(Ugh, bawling like a baby - I so miss her - SHE WAS SO SPECIAL)....
Don't worry, I'm crying too just reading about your Whiz and Ted's Murphy. Just has me thinking of our Brodhi Boy and Rusty, neither of whom got the chance to make it to a ripe old age. I fear we fail our dogs so much more often than they fail us.

Charlie, Most blind dogs do okay if they're in a house they were familiar with while they could see or if they're kept in an open room. I know it's a personal choice, but my advise is to let him enjoy his time with you as long as possible. If he gets ill with no hope of recovery, give him an escape from pain, but until then... honor the good years he's given you and help make his last months or years comfortable.

Chelsea

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:56 am

Ive gone through this before with a couple dogs basicly what i would do is if the dog is eating and going to the bathroom ok and doesnt seem to be in any real amont of pain id let them live out there days untill they do have problems. I had a gsp put down in october she was a foster dog that ended up having cancer and was to the point that teatment couldnt garantee much so i chose to let her go for a while i haad her for about 6 months and she started having seizurs and would seem to forget were she was it was weird it almost was like she had alztimers i dont know if dogs can get that but my vet figured the cancer had spread to her brain. so at that point i figured it was time to let her go. she was only about 8.

i also had a pit that was 14 years old when he had to be put down but that was due to lymphnoid cancer.
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy