pointer females

up-hunter

pointer females

Post by up-hunter » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:24 pm

We've spent alot of time going over greatest pointer sires of all time, but i read some where that 60% of pups traits come from the dame. I was wondering who are some of the great pointer females of all time.

The couple i've heard of are Nell's Rambling ON and Elhew Kiwi seems to be popular.

jhoughton

Re: pointer females

Post by jhoughton » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:33 pm

What about Elhew Swami...

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:33 pm

If you guys are talking Elhew, how about Hanna's Elhew Lou. Even though she was not a trial dog, she produced some of the nicest Elhew dogs around. I know that from her breeding with Snakefoot, 1 or 2 pups became shooting dog champions, 1 was a walking dog champion, and the other was a 3X NSTRA Ch. Her other two breedings were with Elhew Jefferson and Elhew Discovery, I think. Both of those breedings produced at least one shooting dog Champion each. She produced Elhew Sunflower, Elhew Swami, Texas Elhew Snakeeye, Elhew Hannabell, and Snakefoot's Elhew Belle. All of which are Champions of some sort. She gets my vote.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 pm

In William Brown's book Field trials, he lists several poineter females who had stellar production records. My edition is 1987.

Sierra June tops the list with:
13 wins 32 winners produced and 221 total wins of progeny (13 32 221).

Next in line are:

Nell's Rambling On (0 27 204)
Warhoops Peerless Queen (4 26 199)
Gwinn's Little Gal (0 26 215)
Swingin Thru (12 25 83)

There were several others listed and a fewnot listed that I am aware of who produced 20 or more winners.

There are a fair number of female pointers that have produced a bunch of winning dogs. It seems that continues to be true today, but the early dogs produced winners when there were far fewer championships , and still set a standard that we may never better.

RayG

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:25 am

I knew you had the stats from somewhere Ray.....
I would add
Queens Addition
Elhew Katie lee
Theres others, but I can't think right now.

Chip

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:52 am

I would love to have access to the FDSB database for stuff like this.

Imagine if you could view a 5 gen pedigree on all the females that produced 20 or more winners, especially in recent decades.

I think even the casual eye could detect lines, combinations, kennels and individuals who came together to make that happen.

When I think of what that kind of precise background information could do to performance breeding, it makes me sad that it is not available in some form.

It is probably not cost effective for the American Field to research and publish that type information. Too bad.

RayG

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Southwind wrote:If you guys are talking Elhew, how about Hanna's Elhew Lou. Even though she was not a trial dog, she produced some of the nicest Elhew dogs around. I know that from her breeding with Snakefoot, 1 or 2 pups became shooting dog champions, 1 was a walking dog champion, and the other was a 3X NSTRA Ch. Her other two breedings were with Elhew Jefferson and Elhew Discovery, I think. Both of those breedings produced at least one shooting dog Champion each. She produced Elhew Sunflower, Elhew Swami, Texas Elhew Snakeeye, Elhew Hannabell, and Snakefoot's Elhew Belle. All of which are Champions of some sort. She gets my vote.

I agree she is a great producer. However she actually did a little winning herself. The last time I registered a pup with her in it her record was 6-15-180. She may have a few more wins as a producer with Hannabell winning some late last year. Another thing to consider is that her offspring have done well as producers. That is what is impressive to me.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:30 am

Queens Addition

Very nice animal in all attributes according the the man who bred her.

cgbirddogs

Post by cgbirddogs » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:00 pm

A great brood female out west was Super Express Samantha. She sired several champions. Her production record is 0-22-147. She was owned by Sheldon Twer.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:24 pm

Does anyone have Elhew Katie Lee's numbers, I was thinking she was already up to 0-20-65 something like that?

Oh yea add Bearwallow Babe

Ray any help here?

Chip

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:26 am

We had a local female, Easyflow Chief's Clorox 15-12-116. She was by Ch Sebrof's Alpha Chief and Easy Flow Sissy. The Easy Flow dogs belonged to Dr. Charles Sackett of Liberty, Missouri. Clorox also had offspring that produced, Easyflow Alpha Ace 15-11-142 is an example.

mikebill11

Post by mikebill11 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:50 pm

I would have to say Hanna's Elhew Lou. She has produced multi champions dogs from different sires. In the last eight years one of her daugters has won the shooting dog of the year 7 times. Not only does she produce winners but her offspring produce winners as well. Elhew Sinbad is a grandson of Hanna's Elhew Lou. I would have to say that her offspring speak for themselves. To produce so many champions, from so many different sires it says alot about her as a producer. I don't want to duplicate what has been said in other post but to produce Elhew Sunflower Elhew Snakeyes, Elhew Swami, Elhew Hannabelle who are all shooting dog champions and 3 of them have won the shooting dog of the year 2 or more times. I can also say that she was a great dog to hunt behind. I had the privelage to hunt behind her for numerous years and she was one bird finding fool. I also have hunted behind her three famous daughters Sunflower, Swami and Hannabelle. To top it if I am now the proud owner of a double sided grandson of hers and he is pictured in my avatar. Be the way Elhew Pointer is you avatar a great grandson of Lou.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:28 pm

Yep, he sure is. I got him from Bryce as a pup. He is by Elhew Gracie who is by Ch. Elhew Sunflower. I also have a derby that is double bred Lou. He is by Elhew Sinbad x Elhew Mayflower(littermate to Elhew Gracie). I have high expectations for him and he is having a nice derby season.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:38 pm

I don't want this to be taken as complete self promotion ....but my Sarah is CRANKING THEM OUT!!!!!

...phew, sorry, I just came in from running her Duke litter and HOLY COW!! They are better then the Strut pups and those derby's are doing great! :D

Wow, don't flame me please.... :lol:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:48 pm

Ross -

If the pups and dogs you are producing don't make you happy, proud and want to brag a little every once in a while,... then you are doing something wrong.

Sounded good to me.

RayG

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:36 pm

Thanks Ray, I know that Sarah is no Hannah, but I sure had fun this afternoon...

Thanks for letting me smile out loud! :D

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:39 pm

You are indeed putting out some nice stuff Ross. I'm glad that you are happy with them.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:57 pm

You have to give it to Lou,she's earned and deserves the recognition.
Dog On Point!!

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Anybody mention Hard Driving Bev?
What you say about her Ray? She is double bred Gunsmoke, correct?

Chip

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 pm

Anybody mention Hard Driving Bev?
She has Ch. Van Mac on top and bottom ......who is out of a Guard Rail daughter. Hello! :wink:

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:38 am

Ole Jack,he's a Haunting old sole isn't he? :D
Dog On Point!!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:29 am

Hard Driving Bev does indeed go back Through both Jeb's VD and Van Mac to the very heart of the old Gunsmoke breeding. However there is lots of other great stuff in there also. Strike and Guard Rail to mention a couple.

Interestingly, I recently noted that the aforementioned Mr. Derrig has a young dog out of Tin Soldier and Hard Driving Bev. I'm going to keep my eyes out for that young fellow.

RayG

Bill Holtan

Post by Bill Holtan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:39 am

Hard Driving Bev would surely go any list of great female performers, not on a list of good producing females.

Bill

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Ray if your talking about Traveling Soldier, I believe he won the Pheasant Futurity. I did hear he had nocardia and was recovering not sure how his campaigning had been lately. I think Rick Furney is his handler now.

Sorry Ray it was Erin's Special Force "Ben" that I was thinking of who had the Nocardia, and I believe he was third in the Pheasant Futurity, a littermate to traveling Soldier, and Derby winner Platinum Pendulum.
Hard Driving Bev would surely go any list of great female performers, not on a list of good producing females.

Bill
Interesting Bill. do you happen to have any numbers on her?

Thanks,
Chip

Bill Holtan

Post by Bill Holtan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:28 pm

I will preface this by saying that I really like Bev and liked her mother even more. I don't have any real accurate numbers but she has been bred 4 times (each time to multiple champions) with average sized litters and has produced a few winners but nothing as good as her or the sires. Most pups did go to trialers so they have gotten a chance. Really the most prestigous win would be Sean's dog at the futurity not much besides that at least not yet. Maybe someone will still rise to greatness.

Bill

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:36 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Interestingly, I recently noted that the aforementioned Mr. Derrig has a young dog out of Tin Soldier and Hard Driving Bev. I'm going to keep my eyes out for that young fellow.
Erin's Special Force

http://www.erinkennels.com/dog_detail.php?dog_id=15
http://www.erinkennels.com/pedigrees/15.pdf

Traveling Soldier is - CH Erin's Tin Soldier x Twin Lakes Savannah
Last edited by PntrRookie on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:37 pm

I knew she was bred to Front N Center once I believe and then to "Pete" Tin Soldier, those were the dogs I have been watching.

Thanks Bill,
Chip

Bill Holtan

Post by Bill Holtan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:03 am

She was bred to Front n Center twice. Centerpiece once and Tin Soldier once.