Most unusual cross breeds you've seen with Gun Dogs

GSP 4 me

Most unusual cross breeds you've seen with Gun Dogs

Post by GSP 4 me » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:45 pm

A friend of mine just had to put down his 13 year-old yellow lab (non-hunter) the other day and he mentioned the possibility of adopting a new dog from a shelter. While searching one of the pet finder web sites for him, I decided to look at GSP's just for the heck of it. I saw some pure breeds, but was amazed to see so many mixed breeds out there. The most common was the GSP/Lab mix and the most unusual were GSP/Wolfhound, GSP/Dachshund, and GSP/Sheltie.

So what strange cross breed gun dogs have you come across in person or in pics?
Last edited by GSP 4 me on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Most unusual cross breeds you've seen with Gun Dogs

Post by wems2371 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:51 pm

GSP/Dachshund
I'm still trying to imagine that one. :lol:

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:57 pm

I have some friends with a lab/dachsund cross. They adopted it while on vacation in St. John and brought him home. He looks mostly like a lab - black coat, farily sizeable dog. His nose is slightly more elongated. His legs are short and out of proporation to his body, his torso is long, and his head is out of proportion - too big for his frame. Again, he is a big dog but is just squatty. He is a great dog and very unusual looking, but they are non-hunters so no comment there. I will ask the owner for some pics.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Here's the link to the GSP/Dachshund:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=12883391

Here's the link to the GSP/Wolfhound:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=10544197

Just found this one...GSP/Basset:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=12929553

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:26 pm

I mentioned in a different post about a GWP/Vizsla and that dog was a decent hunter. It was truly weird to see that cross....If you could Imagine a wirey and black spotted vizsla. It was funny though. :D
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

NWCORNER

Post by NWCORNER » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:54 pm

Those GSP crosses kind of creep me out, poor dogs. I just keep thinking of my guy stuck in one of those little awkward bodies, can't imagine that would be much fun. I was skeptical until I saw the pics, sure enough. Wierd.

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:58 pm

These are very interesting, but also something I have to roll my eyes at. A GSP with those weiner dogs??? That's rediculous.

That would have to be the most unusual cross I have ever seen with Gun Dogs and with All dogs!

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:37 pm

A buddy of mine had a st bernard come visit his female beagle. Luckily for the beagle she only had one pup...kinda looked like a long haired basset hound. It was too big to run rabbits and too small to carry the barrel around his neck :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:00 pm

I tried to make a Jagd Terrier X GSP cross, it didnt take so lucky or un lucky I never got to see how they turned out. Funny thing was I had way more pups spoken for than she ever would have had. That would cross should have been heck on wheels for hogs which was the reason the cross was made.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:53 pm

A Chessie and shorthair............Amazing litter pointed like a shorthair and retrieved unbelievably, they had the gsp coat color but the wavy chessie coat type. It was an oops, and all were fixed but they were good dogs.

Chip

2britts

Post by 2britts » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 pm

My sister just picked up a rescue dog 1/2 beagle - 1/2 black lab. He's 5 months old weighs about 50 lbs and has short stumpy legs. I don't know but to me it just looks funny to see that big a dog with huge feet attached to short legs. They live on a farm so I'm sure he will get a chance to hunt something but still not sure what. He has taken an interest in the deer. We'll have to take care of that soon.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:04 pm

These are evidently gaining popularity.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 3%26sa%3DN

Might improve both breeds??? :roll: That was my horrible attempt at a joke. It's a sad thing!

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:30 am

As promised I asked my friend to provide pictures of his Lab/Dachsund cross and he delivered. Funny looking thing, eh? He is a great dog... commanding personality.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:52 am

The funniest looking one I ever saw was an Irish Setter x Basset Hound. It looked exactly like an Irish lying down---until you realized that it's legs were only 4" long!! :lol: :lol:

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

DSemple

Post by DSemple » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:57 am

I had a Lab x English Pointer cross from an accidental breeding of two nice hunting parents. I was hoping I would get the brains of a Lab and the nose of a Pointer when I took the free pup. Instead she ended up with the brains of a Pointer and the nose of a Lab.

....Don
I'm always happy when I make it thru another bird season with my dogs, my gun and my truck.

It's an added plus if I manage to keep my wife, my house or my job.

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:59 am

Last night's American Gun Dog featured a Wirehair/Lab cross. It was pretty ugly with the full beard, bulky body, and long tail but hunted well and made some great retrieves, one on a quail dropped in a pond. I didn't see the dog ever point or flush a bird, but it sounded like he was more pointer than flusher.
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:14 pm

Here ya go, GWP X Rottie. I think she is a nice looking dog.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=11502962

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:16 pm

A Chessie and shorthair............Amazing litter pointed like a shorthair and retrieved unbelievably, they had the gsp coat color but the wavy chessie coat type. It was an oops, and all were fixed but they were good dogs.

Chip
I bet they did point well, my chessie doesnt LOCK on point like my gsps but ya can tell he wants too, If any new breed would to be made that I think would be awesome its a combination of them two but ya might have a hard time keeping the chessie coat. New breeds were created in the past. If I had the oppurtinity and a huge kennel I might think about crossing these 2 breeds over and over and selecting those with the best qualities for rebreeding, and before ya bash me>without that thaught we wouldnt have the breeds we have today so we know it works.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 pm

A well known trialer and trainer from the midwest in my acquaintance once had a male beagle from his dad's hunting pack climb the fence and breed his best pointer female.

They ended up keeping one pup, a little male, marked and shaped like a black & white pointer, but beagle sized.

Now the interesting part was that for 10 years, that little dog acted just like a pointer, and was actually a pretty good bird dog. Good nose and pointed like crazy. However one day a rabbit popped up in front of his point, and the beagle side of his personality escaped, and he took off after the rabbit baying like crazy, and never pointed again for the rest of his life.

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Now the interesting part was that for 10 years, that little dog acted just like a pointer, and was actually a pretty good bird dog. Good nose and pointed like crazy. However one day a rabbit popped up in front of his point, and the beagle side of his personality escaped, and he took off after the rabbit baying like crazy, and never pointed again for the rest of his life.
Thats odd to go 10 years without having a rabbitt incident, maybe it was cuz it was popped during his point i dont know but i might see 5-10 bunnies for every bird it seems so going 10 years is weird

WolfMansDad

Post by WolfMansDad » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:52 pm

I once owned a german shepherd/feist cross. He looked like a kind of large, long-haired dachshund. No hunting ability whatsoever and very little in the way of brains, which was odd because his dam (the feist) was very smart, and german shepherds are renowned for their intelligence. He did have a great personality, though. He went with us on every rabbit hunt, mostly staying with the humans because he couldn't keep up with the beagles. He was a great pet, and I became attached to him in spite of myself.

Anybody ever see a pointing-dog/coonhound cross?

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:20 pm

I'm interested in that as well as I have had both, I dont think that cross would be very good for either but might make an ok dog.

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:23 pm

oh and i did see a weimerainer-treeing walker cross but never hunted with them, good looking dogs though.

Razor

Post by Razor » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:26 pm

vikings269 wrote:
I'm interested in that as well as I have had both, I dont think that cross would be very good for either but might make an ok dog.

Have you seen today's pointers?????? :P

dudleysmith

Post by dudleysmith » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:54 pm

vikings269 wrote:

You might be suprised at what lines of pointers have hound in them.

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:36 pm

[quote][You might be suprised at what lines of pointers have hound in them./quote]

hey im never gonna argue about stuff like that, like i said i have had both hounds and pointers, to be exact i ran with treeing walkers and now have gsps,(and a chessie) running hounds isnt for the light hearted, many times i hadnt found them at sun-up after walking and sometimes running a couple miles myself, sometimes found them 8 miles away, sometimes found them in a farmers driveway with a coon in the tree, and sometimes got 3 coon in one tree less then a hundred yards from the truck! always an adventure!

WolfMansDad

Post by WolfMansDad » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:48 pm

The reason I ask about hound crosses is nose. It's been my impression that bird dogs' noses are relatively weak, by hound standards, but that bird dogs (pointers and setters) are considerably smarter than coon hounds. If you could add just enough hound to a bird dog line to improve the nose, you would have a great dog. On the other hand, if you got a bird dog's nose and a hound dog's brain, well, that wouldn't even make a good pet!

Vikings, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's been my impression. I haven't owned a coon hound since high school, and then it was just one redbone.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:41 pm

I know of a fellow in Ireland who uses a Lurcher for bird hunting. It is a whippet border collie mix.
Dіck

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:18 pm

DSemple wrote:I had a Lab x English Pointer cross from an accidental breeding of two nice hunting parents. I was hoping I would get the brains of a Lab and the nose of a Pointer when I took the free pup. Instead she ended up with the brains of a Pointer and the nose of a Lab.

....Don
So it was one heck of a dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: