temporary life change and a dog...Honest opinions needed

Ecw21

temporary life change and a dog...Honest opinions needed

Post by Ecw21 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:31 pm

Hey everyone...I have a troubled mind recently and I could use the advice of people that know bird dogs and their needs. First, the good news. My company has given me a fantastic promotion...In these tough times with so many out of work, I feel so thankful for what I've been given. I will be based out of my home, with the freedom to schedule my time as I see fit. So you are wondering why I am troubled? For 6 months or so, I will be transitioning into this role (which involves a move from Chicago to New England) and that will involve weekly flights to the East Coast--during this time, I will be gone for 3 nights per week. I have a 2 1/2 year old Brittany who lives with me and is my constant companion when I am home (as I write this, her head is on my hand I am typing with). She is a real pistol but a great dog. VERY independent and one of the tougher Brits I've ever met. Field trial lines and full of energy and will.

I will have to be boarding her regularly during the time that I am gone. I live in the city and have a very nice boarding facility nearby that offers free play during the day while they board. When she comes home, she is EXHAUSTED...she goes and goes all day. The people are nice and I trust them. My question is this:

Will this situation place undue stress on her life? She really loves me but gets lost in her own world (a good thing I would think when it comes to this). She stays at home for 8 hours/day during the week...Never destructive, never messed the house, sleeps all the time---the model dog during the day. This is a temporary situation (probably 6 months or so). I am home the remaining time and she gets a lot of exercise with me. Is this an acceptable situation for a dog? I absolutely know it isn't IDEAL. I think we all want to do the best for our dogs and hate to think of them being stressed. Candidly, when I got Chloe in the summer, I saw NO CHANCE of this opportunity happening...had I known, I wouldn't have gotten a dog. But, as an adult, I accept my responsibilities and want to see it through.

I care enough about her to help her find a more suitable home if this situation would hurt her. She is a great little hunter and, more importantly, my pal. Sorry for the long post...this is weighing on me more than I realized. Thanks everybody!

Eric

postoakshorthairs

Re: temporary life change and a dog...Honest opinions needed

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:51 pm

I personally see no reason...since this is a short term deal..that you can't keep the dog. You are offering care and supervision in your absence, so it's not like your abandoning the dog or leaving it by itself. If you took it to a trainer for 6 months it would stay with them for that time and be in a similar circumstance. I'm sure if the dog had a vote it would take a little inconvenience to remain with you. IMO

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:01 pm

You decided on a life long friend when getting this pup. The way I see it, think of this dog as your kid. You would do anything in your power to see it again, no matter how long it takes. The same should apply with this pup, as it sounds like it has found a best friend in you! Good Luck and congrats on your job! :D
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:10 pm

I would do everything in my power to not get rid of the dog, if that included being at the kennel for 3 days per week, that is the way it would have to be.

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:11 pm

I would keep the dog as well.
There are grouse in New England :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:50 pm

I wish every pet owner was as committed to its' animal's well being a you. She's a lucky dog. She'll be just fine.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:00 pm

I agree. The dog will be fine. It would be hard on the both of you if the dog was transitioned into another home. That Stress would likely last longer than the 6 months of "inconvience" you speak of.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:15 pm

I travel as well for work and sometimes for well longer then 3 days and although my best buddies never had to be housed elsewhere it is certainly a special treat when ya return from a trip as they go nuts when they see ya again. You'll like that and know ya did well by keeping her in your life.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:18 pm

Don't give her up because of a short term situation. You may want to take advantage of this time and send her to a trainer where she can get consistent training/work for a few months during the transition also.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Don't give her up because of a short term situation. You may want to take advantage of this time and send her to a trainer where she can get consistent training/work for a few months during the transition also.
I dont know if I agree with that all cuz your only talking about 3 day stretches here and he didnt mention the dog needs any extra work. Its definately something to think about though.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:43 pm

Wow! Everyone agrees and they are all correct!

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Same here. No big deal. In a couple of years you will have forgotten about it. Also, one option that might actually be cheaper than the boarding is to leave it with a trainer for a couple of those months.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:28 pm

I am with gardog. If you can leave her with a trainer for a couple months she will get plenty of exercise, bird work, and be well kept and well fed. It would be ideal if you could find a trainer where you plan to move that way you would be able to see her as much as you want while you are making the transition and she will be there when you make the move full time. Just a thought.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:31 am

I had the same thing happen. I sent the dogs to stay with Rick and Brenda for 3 months and visited when I could. It worked out well.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:21 am

You obviously care about this dog more than you realize..... and it's great to hear!

Your traveling won't effect the dog, like all have mentioned above. We have had dogs in our kennel for much longer spells, and they never have shunned their owners. In fact, they recognize their cars coming in the drive and go nuts right away!

If you are interested in leaving the dog with a trainer, there is a Brittany man in New York, Steve Fasanao. Great guy...even better trainer.

Good luck with your promotion.... Your dog is lucky he has a great owner/buddy!

Phil

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks to everyone for their advice and kind words...I really appreciate hearing your thoughts. I like the trainer idea, especially if I can find someone in the New England area. And a grouse dog trainer would be even better!

Ideally, this fall will be filled with great grouse hunts with Chloe and more posts from me with success stories!

Thanks to all,

Eric

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Eric- where in New England will you be transferring to?
Karen has some very, very good words of advice here.:)

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:26 pm

It will likely be in the greater Boston area. I do have some freedom to choose within the MA, RI, NH, CT area. For my day to day, Boston makes sense but I'm still exploring. Do you have some thoughts? I'm all ears!

Eric

Ecw21

Re: temporary life change and a dog...opinions needed-Update....

Post by Ecw21 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:30 pm

All-

About a year ago, many generous people offered some great and kind words about a situation that I was going through at the time. As you can see in the original post, I had been given a great promotion and was traveling 3 nights per week to New England. Originally, the situation was going to be a temporary inconvenience with me flying to Chicago to the East Coast each week...I would then move there in 6 months. Well...the job is going fantastic from nearly every standpoint...However, I am no longer moving to New England. I will be on a weekly plane flight for the forseeable future.

That leaves me in the same situation. My 3.5 year old Brittany is boarding for 3 nights per week with no real end in sight. Great place, nice people...but I can't help thinking...Can I keep exposing her to this? Is it fair to her? I'm torn. Luckily, i can afford the nearly $500 bucks per month spent boarding her but my one and only thought is of her. When I got her initially, I was traveling not at all. I literally think about it all the time.

Shoot me straight...do I need to start the process of re-homing her?

Thanks all...I haven't posted in awhile but still really value all the opinions shared...great people.

Eric

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:33 pm

If you can afford it you don't have a problem.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Isn't that the truth for many situations with dogs.
Few $$$ = fewer choices
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:12 pm

I'll be honest with you. Your company sucks! To say 6 months and now it's a year? The dog will be fine. Your the one that it's not fair too.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:04 am

If you can spend the $, keep your girl.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:21 am

Mike50 wrote:I'll be honest with you. Your company sucks! To say 6 months and now it's a year? The dog will be fine. Your the one that it's not fair too.
I think most people would be glad to do whatever it takes to keep the company going and providing a good job for many people. And be thankful they have a paycheck coming in each week.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:31 am

Keep her if you can afford it. The boarding facility is just her second family, and I'm sure she's use to the routine and familiar with the environment by now.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 am

Ecw21 wrote:It will likely be in the greater Boston area. I do have some freedom to choose within the MA, RI, NH, CT area. For my day to day, Boston makes sense but I'm still exploring. Do you have some thoughts? I'm all ears!

Eric
Eric,
I live 9 miles north of Boston as the crow flies. If/once you get settled in the greater Boston area, give me a shout
and we can hook up to give the dogs a good run. Some of the towns around the intersection of the Mass Pike (Rt. 90)
and Route 495 are both affordable, offer a fairly quick commute into Boston (via the Pike) and are open enough to provide
ample areas to train/run your dog.

Send me a PM & I'll provide you my contact info.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:54 pm

Sir,
I would look into acquiring a dog sitter when you need to travel, further if you are driving when you travel, I would look into staying some place where they will allow
your dog, especially if the dog is well mannered. There are lots of places to hunt Grouse in New England after work and on weekends.
You do not need to change your way of life when you get a new job, simply change how you manage it.
RGD/Dave
Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecater2218

Post by ecater2218 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Major dittos from me and Queen. And congrats on your promo

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Mike50 wrote:I'll be honest with you. Your company sucks! To say 6 months and now it's a year? The dog will be fine. Your the one that it's not fair too.
I think most people would be glad to do whatever it takes to keep the company going and providing a good job for many people. And be thankful they have a paycheck coming in each week.

Ezzy
How do you know? What he is doing keeps this company afloat? How do you know it is many people that have jobs because of him? I agree with the pay check part. It's company's that take advantage of people I really have a problem with. No hard feelings.

TAK

Post by TAK » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 pm

Looks like everyone beat me to the punch... but you have spring on the way! What better time to find a good trainer and have him or her board and run the dog for you. Sure it might cost just a little more than just a boarding, but your dog will get so much out of it!