Flying Costs

Bailey

Flying Costs

Post by Bailey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 pm

I am looking at a puppy from a kennel in Georgia and was wondering if anyone had any idea what general cost was the fly the dog from there to Alberta?

What type of costs and procedure need to be done of the buyers end to make sure the pup makes it ok? I have never done this before but am going to have to with this pup.

Any help is appreciated.
"Line breed for consistancy and outcross for vigor."
Ridge-Point

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Flying Costs

Post by shags » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:04 am

Go to the website of whatever airline ships dogs to your area. They probably have a table of charges to view. Depends on the weight and crate size, and how it's shipped (regular cargo, elite, etc). You're likely looking at around 300 bucks give or take.

Cora's Shadow

Post by Cora's Shadow » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:04 am

Bailey,

We have had several dogs shipped to us and have shipped several dogs to others. The procedure is relatively easy. If you would like to read what one airline in particular requires for shipping dogs (prices, etc.) you can visit http://www.nwa.com/travel/animals/comme ... ments.html. For this particular airline, shipments to Canada are considered domestic so it looks like the cost to ship your pup from Georgia to Alberta would be around $225.25 (for normal shipping) or $260.00 for VIP shipping. There will be extra taxes added onto that, but you are definitely looking at a bill of under $300.00 for shipping.

Your breeder may also ask you to reimburse him/her for the purchase of the crate to ship the puppy in, as well as the health certificate required for flight. Crates can range in cost considerably, as can health certificates. Our vet charges us $60.00 for a health certificate for adult dogs we ship, but he only charges us $12.00 for puppy health certificates. I have heard of other vets charging anywhere from $10.00 to $65.00 for health certificates. Anyways, be prepared to pay the breeder back for these additional charges.

If you would like additional information about what to expect when you pick up a puppy at the airport, please PM me with your email address. I do have a document that I have prepared for all of our puppy buyers so they know what they need to before they come to the airport, what they need to bring to the airport, and what to expect (or not expect) when they first meet their new puppy. I would be happy to email it to you if you'd like.

BdBHunts

Post by BdBHunts » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:52 am

As long as you get a flight that doesn't stop overnight it is ok. I priced shipping a dog here and it would overnight for a few hours in Toronto, the kenneling charge was cost of shipping plus 30%. That is out right thievery. :evil: If you want to send me a pm with your number and I will try to answer some questions.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:54 am

Why don't you post that documnet on the board for everyne to read and learn from. Would be a real service I think.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:34 am

Shags I have looked at a few websites. it looks like flying to Calgary is going to be my best bet. I didnt a brief research session here before bed last night and so far found Delta to be one of the common flights between the 2 major airports in GA and Calgary. Now weather Delta flies dogs I am not sure I looked yet. I think what I am going to do is call the Calgary airport tell them what I want to do and see what kind of input they have on the situation.

Cora's Shadow thanks for the link I will read through that as soon as I can. I have no problems reimbursing for the crate and vet costs I figured I would have to do that anyway. What I couldnt find was a non-stop flight. It seems they either go to Chigago then Toronto then to Calgary or they go to Saltlake then to Calgary. It seems the fastest flight is still about 9hrs and what if the plane gets delayed? Also PM sent.

Bdb PM sent.
Ridge-Point

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:36 am

Bailey, if you can get a cheap roundtrip ticket you can fly in, get your pup, and bring him home under your seat. A breeder friend tols me that some buyers are finding that option attractive, if a good deal on flights is found.

Cora's Shadow, is your information available through a link? We're going to the airport tomorrow to pick up a puppy :D

texscala

Post by texscala » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:38 am

shags wrote:Bailey, if you can get a cheap roundtrip ticket you can fly in, get your pup, and bring him home under your seat. A breeder friend tols me that some buyers are finding that option attractive, if a good deal on flights is found.

Cora's Shadow, is your information available through a link? We're going to the airport tomorrow to pick up a puppy :D

I did this when I picked up my pup and it cost me $180 instead of $350.

Plus I think it is a nice way to bond with a young pup and airport employees treat you like royalty when you have a cute little dog.

Cora's Shadow

Post by Cora's Shadow » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:54 am

For anyone interested, the following are my notes that I send to folks who we are shipping puppies to. I'm sure that many of you could add a lot, but here are what I see as the basics in making sure that the day you pick up the puppy at the airport goes as smoothly as possible:

Picking up a Puppy from the Airport

First of all, be sure to call the airline that your puppy is being shipped on to ask them where to go to pick up your puppy (it won't be the regular receiving terminal) at least a day before the pup arrives. Usually the live animals get separated from the plane's cargo right away and get delivered to a different location where you will have to sign for him/her. When we picked up our first shipped puppy at Chicago O'Hare, we called ahead and got directions to a building totally separate from the main airport area. It took them about 30 minutes to get the puppy from the plane to the building we were sitting in. And it was really exciting to open the crate door and see our little girl for the first time. That whole 30 minutes that we sat there waiting for her was pretty excruciating!

When you come to pick up your puppy, be sure to bring your driver’s license and the air waybill number (the breeder will provide this number to you after they book the flight). You will need both in order to claim your puppy.

There are several other things to keep in mind when picking up a puppy at the airport. You can bring several materials to make the ride home more comfortable for the puppy. Of course, many puppies will be in the air for quite a while so you can expect to find the crate and puppy a little wet with urine and they have probably had to go number 2 as well. So you'll probably want to bring a couple towels when you pick the pup up so you at least wipe him/her off and clean up the crate a little bit (because you'll probably want to put him/her back in there for the drive home). Usually there is some grass nearby (at the airport) and you can immediately take the pup outside to go to the bathroom again (you should bring a leash with you just to be safe as you are walking her around). The breeder will send plenty of food and water along with the pup for the trip, but your puppy will probably still be thirsty right away when you get him/her. So you should probably bring a water bottle or two and a bowl so you can give him/her a good drink before you drive home as well. Unless you have a very long car drive home, I would wait to feed the pup until you get home. Some of them may still have an upset stomach from the flight.

One other important thing to remember is that this is the first time that the pup has been separated from all of their brothers and sisters so he/she will probably be feeling pretty lonely. The pup might actually enjoy being held on the way home instead of stuck in his/her crate. Or the pup might really enjoy it if you bring him/her a nice stuffed animal toy that they can snuggle up with something right away. I have also found that bringing a chewy treat (like a rawhide or cow hoof) will help ease the anxiety a bit. Basically, anything that you can think of to make him/her feel comfortable being alone.

Also remember, the pup has been stuck in a crate for a really long time so the puppy that you meet at the airport is not really the puppy that you will see at home. Some puppies cry during the entire flight so when you pick them up, they are so tired that they immediately fall asleep in your arms. So don't immediately assume that he/she is super calm and cuddly if this happens. He/she is just plain pooped. Other puppies have slept on the plane for several hours so they are wide awake and raring to go. The pup may put up quite a fuss about going back into his/her crate for the drive home and he/she may cry the whole way home too. Don't assume that the pup is an incredibly active puppy that can't sit still for a minute or that he/she is an incredibly vocal pup that will cry whenever it doesn't get her way. Don't get frustrated. Just keep in mind that the pup has probably slept for hours and in his/her mind, it is time to play and be around other people/puppies. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that regardless of how the pup acts when you first meet him/her at the airport, he/she is pretty stressed, and you won't get to see the pup’s real personality until after he/she gets settled into your house the following day.

Hopefully you will find all of the information helpful. We have had several dogs shipped to us over the past few years and I still remember being pretty nervous and worried the first time. It seems like so many things could go wrong or that the puppy could get lost. But puppies get shipped every day and they are especially well taken care of. And there is definitely not many feelings better than walking out of the airport with your puppy in hand and having other people look at you with jealously because the luggage they are picking up isn't nearly so cute :-)

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:05 am

texscala wrote:
shags wrote:Bailey, if you can get a cheap roundtrip ticket you can fly in, get your pup, and bring him home under your seat. A breeder friend tols me that some buyers are finding that option attractive, if a good deal on flights is found.

I did this when I picked up my pup and it cost me $180 instead of $350.

Plus I think it is a nice way to bond with a young pup and airport employees treat you like royalty when you have a cute little dog.
When i looked online its going to be about 700USD round flight for me to go down there, get puppy and fly home with them.
Ridge-Point

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:52 am

Cora's Shadow thanks for the post. I think a lot of people will be interested in it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:21 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Cora's Shadow thanks for the post. I think a lot of people will be interested in it.

Ezzy
Ditto! Would have forgotten the clean-up towel if not for the reminder.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:07 pm

I have flown several pups on American Airlines in the past month or so for around $200 each. Call American Airlines Pet Cargo at (800)227-4622.

Nitrex

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:38 pm

I'm flying a one year old dog from Detroit to Denver, CO tomorrow. The cost varies a bit by the size of the crate. She will be in a intermediate crate and it's costing $255. This is with United Airlines.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"