Car sickness?

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Car sickness?

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:32 pm

Just wondering if anyone had a quick cure for a car sick pup? I have a pup who is 7 months old. I just got her and she had never been worked with before and had stayed in a kennel her whole life. She is a fast learner and is responding extemely well to whistle commands and e collar training but seems to get very nauseated when I take her out to my training/hunting area. She used to throw up but now just drools incessantly like she wants to throw up but does not and then acts very sick for about the first 15-20 mins. after being let out to run. My 17 month old female pointer used to do this when I first got her and she really did not seem to take to training or hunting until she got over the car sickness phase. I was just wondering if there were a faster way of getting the young one by this. The 17 month old just sort of got over it after about 2 or 3 months of going to the field all the time and then her training just took off like a rocket but until that phase was over she was a bootlicker and just did not want to get more than 10 yards away from me and that is what this pup is doing as well. I have an SUV and have built a 2 hole dog box that my dogs ride in when going to the field. I am sure it is maturity thing but was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and how they cured it or if it was just a time issue.

vikings269

Re: Car sickness?

Post by vikings269 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:01 pm

my chessie never pukes but drools like mad while riding in the car, he has gotten much better though as he knows a car ride means fun.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:04 pm

I have found they do much better in a solid or covered crate. They can't see the motion that way and they lay down and are comfy it seems.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:09 pm

I have a female shorthair that drools like you describe but never throws up. She'll get right out and hunt without a hitch. When it's time to get back in she's not too happy about it though

remmy

Post by remmy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:30 pm

It seems most pups go through that stage...at least mine did. They grow out of it.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:18 am

Ya Ezzy I have a solid dog box built from plywood but it doesn't seem to help. I hope she grows out of it like my other one did so we can start getting some real training done.

Okvet03

Post by Okvet03 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Behavioral conditioning is probably your best bet. I have a colleague that recommends spraying DAP (Dog appeasing pheromone) in the car. Haven't tried it myself. You can use OTC meclizine (Antivert) or get some Cerenia an anti nausea medication from your vet. Meclizine is an antihistamine so it could cause sedation and a some dogs are hypersensitive to it.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks Okvet I may try the pheremone idea if she does not get over it soon. I appreciate it.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:50 pm

My 5 yr. old GSP would get car sick until about 8 mos. old. Tryed solid crate , but it didn't help. He eventually grew out of it. My 2.5 yr old never had that problem.
Bill L.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:15 pm

My 17 month old pointer was that way until about 3 months after I had her so I hope this one will grow out of it as well.

HMiller

Post by HMiller » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Our female GSP has gotten sick twice when riding in the car and drools a good bit when she's riding in the back seat. I've found that putting her in her crate in the back seat cures her. She's done the drooling/car sickness thing since we got her (at 8 weeks), so when we're going more than five miles in the car I bring her crate along, which can be somewhat of a pain, but I just got a great soft-sided crate that is great for traveling.
Miller's Mischievous Maebyn VDHimmel JH

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:47 pm

I am having the same problem. He is 6 months now, and used to ride in the car all the time until about 4 months old, then started to get sick. He was well socialized to it and loved it, but seemed to grow into the car sickness over about 2 weeks, until we couldn't take him anymore. Now he starts drooling pretty quickly, and vomits after about 10 minutes. I am hoping he outgrows it! He does better in the crate but still vomits and drools some. Just less quickly and not actually vomiting EVERY time. I have tried to just take him on very short rides (a mile or so), and make it to our pond or somewhere very fun, but he is still drooling by the time I get him out.

I may try the Pheremones also. I know about cerenia, but have only used it after HGE and other stuff like that. Will it work for short term use? I mean if I give it once, will it help 20-30 minutes later after the first dose? I have seen it do wonders in the other situations.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:06 pm

For humans it's caused by the eyes and inner ear not putting together what is happening. The eyes see movement but the ear is still.

Sitting high in the front seat so you can see the horizon , eliminates the problem. ( I know, I suffer from motion sickness.)

Maybe you should be sitting pup on a high pillow in the front seat? :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:58 am

I am sure you pup will grow out of it, but until then you can try to take the pup on several short trips and try to get it used to traveling. I have also heard of people giving the pup Ginger Snap cookies, the ginger will help settle the stomach.

Rut