Quail question

bondoron

Quail question

Post by bondoron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:00 pm

I have been using pigeons for training for a few years now. I am sick of climbing silos for shooters however. So I am going to buy some quail. I have a few questions for those of you that have quail. I am going to buy 100 chicks to start. What do you guys/gals use for feed (chicks and adults). Does anyone have a good Johnny house plan? I am going to build 2 probably. So how big does each one need to be to house 50? I have more questions I am sure but this is a good start.

bondoron

Re: Quail question

Post by bondoron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Also what strain would be best for northern WI?

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:22 pm

LCS has good plans you can buy for johnny houses. Watch out though.......raising your own can be more trouble than it's worth and end up costing you way more money than buying fliers.

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:29 pm

aylaschamp why is that?

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:37 pm

bondoron wrote:aylaschamp why is that?
Feed costs, sickness, time and the fact you'd drive your dogs nuts if you did it on the same grounds as they're on. Seriously, by the time you buy the feed in the small quantity you'll need the cost ratio might or might not work out. Then there's sickness. Devote all your time in a batch of chicks and a bug can come in and wipe them out. How many birds are you wanting to raise a year?

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:53 pm

aylaschamp wrote:
bondoron wrote:aylaschamp why is that?
Feed costs, sickness, time and the fact you'd drive your dogs nuts if you did it on the same grounds as they're on. Seriously, by the time you buy the feed in the small quantity you'll need the cost ratio might or might not work out. Then there's sickness. Devote all your time in a batch of chicks and a bug can come in and wipe them out. How many birds are you wanting to raise a year?
Probably 100 to 200 quail. I will still have my homers, I basically want to use the quail as kill birds. I figured at less than $1 a chick cost wouldn't be that bad. Like I said I am sick of catching wild pigeons.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:02 pm

For that few over a years time I'd buy grown ones but surly someone else has an opinion.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:35 pm

aylaschamp wrote:For that few over a years time I'd buy grown ones but surly someone else has an opinion.
That's what I do, but its expensive. $5-9 per valley quail over here, starts to add up fast.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:22 pm

I am not real experienced but have done a bunch of research because I thought about raising birds myself. Also my uncle raises and sells quail and pheasant in Missouri. For your area I would recommend northern bobwhite or the jumbo bobwhite quail or even the tibetan quail or courtnix. Also I took the liberty of copying this for you: Bob-Bird A new cross between a Bobwhite species and Coturnix species. Developed for the Dog training /hunting market. In our breeders' field trials, bird displayed an unpredictable flight pattern and returned to the retrieval cage. Environmentally friendly as the birds do not covey up and reproduce in the wild per our breeders' experience. Coloration of chicks will be variable. Adult wt. 12-14 oz. I took it from this website http://www.strombergschickens.com/stock ... _quail.php. My uncle tells me he has been thinking of raising courtnix or tibetans as well as they are really strong and fast fliers. Also since they are not native birds you can hunt and shoot them all year with no argument from the wildlife department. My uncle told me that the courtnix quail grow faster and are therefore ready to fly sooner and release sooner than any other species of quail. He said they can fly at 4 to 5 weeks as opposed to 6-8 weeks with bobwhites. As a matter of fact I read an article stating the courtnix quail are completely mature and grown at 6 weeks of age. That would mean they would be sexually mature and ready to reproduce for you faster as well. Just thought I would give you some info. to think about. Once I graduate college in May and decide if I am going to move or stay where I am I am going to get some Courtnix myself I believe.

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:54 pm

I am new to the whole johnny house thing. But I bought the plans from Lion Country and built the house.... everything went together well. I put 20 birds in the house last week (about 9 days ago) today I let 5 birds out around noon. When I went back the house tonight at dark, I don't believe any of the 5 birds "recalled". I went ahead and closed the recall door for the night to keep the predators out. If anyone can help I would appreciate it....Thanks

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:59 pm

Did you put a lone male separate from the others? They will usually call the others back.

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:03 pm

No, of the 20 birds 14 are male and 6 female. 4 males and 1 female were released the other 15 are in the house. I saw 3 of the released birds near the house tonight but not near the recall funnel.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:07 pm

They'll come back around, patience man patience, one night of missing the feed and they'll be wanting back in, check tomorrow and see what happens.

Chip

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Like said, give it time. They'll get hungry but also in the top of the pen, if you make a separate cage with water and food for a single they will usually call all of them back quicker. Plus, put a small feed trail to the funnel to teach them to recall.

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks for the info... Does anyone have a good watering system for inside the house? The birds foul the poultry waters, that I'm currently using, very quickly

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:01 pm

Don't use chick feeders! Use water tubes!

http://www.lcsupply.com/index.php?page= ... um&x=0&y=0

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:04 pm

PVC pipe with a nipple for the birds to drink from.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Do you have a good suggestion where I can find the nipples for the pvc pipe? The only ones I found where online....they wanted an arm and a leg for shipping

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:00 pm

Just about any Farm & Fleet,Tractor Supply,Feed Supply,etc.

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:41 am

Last edited by jbr03 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:42 am

you can take a look at a thread i posted a couple of years ago. it has a picture of the frame of my JH. if you take a look you can see how i built an aviary box type deal that juts out from the rest of the JH.

heres the link to the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=6613

i would usually flush a group of birds into the aviary, drop the bottom, letting them fly off and then i would leave a male and a female in the box, which could be closed off from the rest of the JH. because i put mesh on the bottom of the box i was hoping it would be enticing for the other birds to go back into the house when they see their buddies up there. ive also heard about placing a mirror near the entrance so the birds can see themselves, think its another bird, making them want to go in. remember to make a little cover to put over the entrance. it helps the birds feel safer from predators when they are entering the house. i have seen hawks wait in a tree just waiting for those little guys to make their way home. you could also purchase one of those electric call back boxes that looks like a flood light. you can program it to call back the birds at certain times, ect... only issue i have with it is that i think its around $200. good luck!
Brian

gspmo1

Post by gspmo1 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:07 pm

I built a small recall type box, set the box outside the johnny house (without a quail in it)mainly just for storage, the birds had never even seen the box.....today when I checked on them there was a male bird in the box :? the birds seem to be coming back one at a time