Northern California Hunting

GsPJustin

Northern California Hunting

Post by GsPJustin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:39 pm

I am looking for some good quality hunting preserves/reserves(whichever) in NorCal, north of Sacramento. I know of places below, but I am pretty unfamiliar with places north of sac. I am looking for my uncle whom I hunt with sometimes that lives about an hour north of Sacramento. He told me that he was a member to a place in Sheridan, but it is/did closing/close. I am looking for a place that isn't so stringent and by that I mean having to pick a plot and hunt planted birds. We don't mind the walk so clean up hunting is more our game. Or free range as some call it here.

I do know of grey lodge, but there fairly expensive and pretty waterfowl orientated if I remember correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Justin

RJ in OK

Re: Northern California Hunting

Post by RJ in OK » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:22 pm

GSPJUSTIN:

I live in N. CA as well....moved here about 6 months ago from Oklahoma. I know there are several "clubs" around N. CA. There is a preserve near Chico ( Clear Creek Sports Club) one in Durham (Gaines Ranch)....look them up online. I am a quail/pheasant hunter myself and have struck out for this/last season. I am going to try some valley quail and chukar hunting next year on some of the abundant public lands here and north. Good luck. People tell me there are a lot of quail here, but I work for the Forest Service (in the field alot) and I have seen probably 30 quail, 5 pheasants and one ruffed grouse in my 6 months. :( Also, I live near Grey Lodge and it is a state managed WMA not a preserve it is a very popular duck hunting spot and is absolutely flooded with people all season long. I hear that you take a number for blinds, wait around and hope you get picked to hunt....no thanks. Anyway sorry to ramble. I and my three dogs are not quite ready to give up on wild birds.

balerseller

Post by balerseller » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Raahauges is in Dunnigan, just 30 mins from North Sac off of Hwy 5. Its a pay and play place, but his chuckars fly strong for planters, and he is open to let you hunt any wear after 10am, if no one is in the field. Reasonable rates, good people, strong birds, Cheapest sporting clays(Nice course to). Allways a place for a good laugh and not a bunch of pompus jerks running the place.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:40 pm

I was at Raahauges for a hunt test a while back, I met the guy and he was nice seemed like a pretty good ol' boy type of place to. Thanks for the reminder. Kind of in the lines of what I was looking for. I was hoping for something a little more eastish. My uncle and I are pretty blue collar so we tend to stray from the uppity, pompus types. If that helps any as far as criteria goes.

I could have swore that Grey Lodge was a club of some kind. I went there when I was a kid and have only had reports since then. Guess I was wrong. But I know for sure the rest of what you said about it is true. It was a nice place years ago, however it was crowded then to. Heaven only knows what its like now.

RJ,

I don't know where you have been looking, but there are a few more birds than that. Al though you have seen more ruffed grouse in 6 months than I have in a lifetime in California. You might be in a "belt" for lack of a better term that is somewhat birdless, but I know way up north(past redding) and down this way there is a lot of quail to be had. If you like walking... If you keep having trouble Ill see what I can do. Oh and thanks for the recommendations.

Unfortunately, as far as picking a new place to hunt goes,I have been spoiled with Hastings Island, its a really nice place with good folks. However that's out of my uncles driving range and I'm looking for something a little further up.

Thanks again,
Justin

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:01 am

Giving it another shot to see if anyone new reads it.

yakky'sgriff

Post by yakky'sgriff » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:18 am

Justin try this site..might help.

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/us-hunting/California.asp

ps. Grey Lodge is mostly duck hunting..It hunts on Wednesdays, saturdays and sundays only...It does not reach its quotas for hunters (400) the majority of the season except for the opener and closer of duck and pheasant...You can pretty much walk on at legal shoot time for pheasant. They had a bad hatch this year like most of California. It does get a lot of pressure because of the dual duck/pheasant hunters and your dog better like swimming...

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:06 pm

Yak,

Thanks you always seem to save the day when I really need it. That site helped a lot. Thanks for the confirmation on grey lodge by the way. I remembered it being mostly duck hunting. But I did remember seeing some pheasant hunting there like you mentioned.

Hey do you still have the same beat over here in Fremont. I got a couple more questions for ya if you don't mind.