Justin wins 70-69: Preserve birds count during the traditional season only
7%
Adam wins 74-70: Preserve birds count anytime or not at all
93%

Total votes: 15

SD Pheasant Slayer

Supreme Pheasant Slayer Update - Judging Help

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:38 pm

For those of you that got to see the previously posted "Supreme Pheasant Slayer" thread, I've turned to you for some final help. For those of you that missed the thread, you can see it here:

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 69&t=17078

Anyway, the traditional season ended for us on January 31st with Justin at kill total of 70 and me right behind at 69. This past weekend the opportunity to visit a preserve and go on a "canned" hunt with my little brother was sprung on me. Not being one to turn down an opportunity to see the dogs work and kill a few pheasants, I jumped at the chance. The day passed and we had an absolute blast. I've posted a few pics below, but the main point of this thread comes up here. I called Justin to inform him that my five birds pushed me ahead and I was now the rightful champion fo The Supreme Pheasant Slayer Award. Justin countered with the expected argument that the season was over and my five birds don't count. I countered back with the argument that he killed a number of pheasants on a preserve hunt of his own. Justin argues that because he went on his preserve hunt during the regular season, that his birds count and mine do not because they were killed strictly during the preserve season. I say he's splitting hairs - either the preserve birds count for both of us or neither of us. SO... we turn to you. Post your vote above and let's settle this once and for all. Thanks for the help and enjoy the pics below.

Cash had this apparently injured bird pinned in one of his more memorable points. The bird eventually hopped out of the tree and succombed to the retrieve of the lab in the picture.

This nice point by Cash produced a nice rooster that Andy quickly dispatched.

Another point and rooster for Cash and Andy.

A tricky walk into the trees found Cash holding point on what turned out to be hen.
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

Bailey

Re: Supreme Pheasant Slayer Update - Judging Help

Post by Bailey » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:47 am

I think the preserve birds should count during the time you 2 agreed on unless otherwise stated.

Really though if you were going to do it again I wouldnt count preserve birds. Any dog can find those birds they act just like chickens. Wild birds are what you should be counting and only birds shot over points.
"Line breed for consistancy and outcross for vigor."
Ridge-Point

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:00 am

Bailey wrote:I think the preserve birds should count during the time you 2 agreed on unless otherwise stated.

Really though if you were going to do it again I wouldnt count preserve birds. Any dog can find those birds they act just like chickens. Wild birds are what you should be counting and only birds shot over points.

I don't think there is a difference in finding them with the dogs but most do handle different depending a lot on how they have been handled. Handling freshly planted birds is a different ball game than birds that have been out for a few days and then they are different yet than a bird raised in the wild. But I have never found a good birdog that doesn't learn how to handle the differences pretty quickly.

But I do think it might be wise to skip them all together since if one of you make several trips to a preserve then you could easily shoot more than the other who didn't get to go.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:23 am

Man, that's putting the whoop on them no matter how you look at it. good job.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:17 pm

Two viewpoints:

Viewpoint 1:

If you guys made up the rules and the rules stated the contest went to a certain date and you didn't say anything about wild bird versus pen birds, then all birds up to the end of the contest should count. So, did you set an end date? Did you say anything about wild vs pen birds?

Viewpoint 2:

Counting pen birds at all seems like a bad idea. Anyone could just buy the contest by buying more birds than the other contestants.

Greg J.