Off The Ground Pup Kennels

limited out

Off The Ground Pup Kennels

Post by limited out » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:03 pm

I was thinking about investing in one of these: http://www.scottsdog.com/kennelkits.html

I thought I might look into one. If anybody has one of these, will you fill me on pros, cons, and a good company that makes them.

Thanks in advance.

Brittguy

Re: Off The Ground Pup Kennels

Post by Brittguy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Great way to keep puppies clean , but I have noticed with two people that used them to keep a litter of puppies, the puppies acted somewhat shy. They would run to the back of the run away from the open door when there was an attempt to take them out. Both of the breeders spent a lot of time socializing the pups and in both cases they acted the same so I concluded it was inherited with the type of kennel.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:41 am

That is interesting, I have a buddy that raises pointers, all puppies are whelped and stay in the elevated kennel until removed from their mother, I have never noticed this reaction, nor has he ever mentioned it being a problem.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:52 am

I have 5 of the Scott kennels & all my dogs are kenneled in them.I have sold pups all across the country & if you can find anyone that says they are shy I will kiss your,well you get the idea.The pups I have shipped by plane come off it raring to go & acting like they were born there.They need to be socialized just like any other pups raised in the house or in concrete ground kennels.The minuses are they chew the wood & the Aluminun doors.I think they are cleaner & cooler in the summer time.The only company making them is the sight you have Lantz but there are some that are all metal construction.That company has posted here in for sale or submit your site at some time or another.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:24 am

I did not mean they were shy when out of the kennel.The problem was when someone tried to turn them loose they would run to the far end of the kennel and not want to come out. The breeder turned them loose almost everyday and handled them.I am comparing this to when pups are on the ground they usually are charging the door when it is opened.
I haven't seen any problems with adult dogs in off the ground kennels.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:38 am

There again don't know why he is having that problem you have to hold mine in or they all will jump straight onto the ground.I have 5 mo old pups right now & if you open the roof on the dog house they will come flying over the top to get out & that's about 4 ft onto the ground.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:49 am

I have had a few of these for pups and adults. I made my own instead of buying the kit. I used plastic hog flooring for the floor. I haven't noticed that they go to the house part anymore/less than a ground level kennel but it does make it harder to go in after them.

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:27 am

If you want to build your own, teksupply.com has plastic mesh flooring that works really well. I have used it in one, and am building another in the next few days. If you want one pre-fabbed, Young's portable kennels makes a really nice one. You can see a pic on fielddog.com Go to dog transportation on the left side and then scroll down to Young's Kennels.

mitchhurt
Location: Livingston, Montana/ Patagonia, Arizona/ Cotulla, Texas

Post by mitchhurt » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Here is my Farmtek kennels. You could just build one run and put your whelping box in that run. I also have three Scott kennels. I like the Farmtek better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsTZh27v ... annel_page

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:37 pm

What is the floor made of in the kennel runs on the video

Blue Briar

Post by Blue Briar » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:41 pm

That is farmtek poultry flooring.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 pm

I also keep my dogs in elevated kennels custom made with the farmtek kennel flooring. Never had any problems. I had enough foresight to make the door big enough for me to easily get in when need be.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

windswept

Post by windswept » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:06 am

I also built my own. I used a regular 6' high kennel and raised it off the ground about a foot and put it on wheels. I used Tenderfoot for the flooring with a horse stall mat on one end for sleeping etc... The upside of Tenderfoot is it is durable, strong and easy on pup's feet. The downside is that it can be fairly expensive if you have to buy it new.

ihd1gsp

Post by ihd1gsp » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Do you have any pictures of yours you can post?
Thanks
Cheryl

rizz1

Post by rizz1 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:53 pm

limited out wrote:I was thinking about investing in one of these: http://www.scottsdog.com/kennelkits.html

I thought I might look into one. If anybody has one of these, will you fill me on pros, cons, and a good company that makes them.

Thanks in advance.
limited,

Here are what we have. we ordered the kit and built them ourselves. The inside of the box is in the buliding (climate controlled) we also have had to add a fan and heating pad at times. they work very well IMO. Cleaning is very easy on the out side. and most mommas keep it clean on the inside. we clean and sanatize the inside after each use. hope this helps

limited out

Post by limited out » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:43 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Rizz, thanks for the pictures. They sure do look nice, but I'm not sure if I am gonna go through with it or not.

We have a 30 x 60 area of grass for the pups to play in, and it's connected to a fully covered area where there is some straw to bundle up in. Plus a concrete covered kennel... so they have plenty, but wanted to get an idea about these.

Thanks again :)

Lantz

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:25 pm

I built my own using the plans from a Scotts kennel that my buddy purchased. I bought the flooring from Loin Country and used fencing I had from another project for the rest. The one thing I did different was I added an additional door up by the house so I could reach in from either end of the run. I also made the house so it could be removed by simply sliding it back and lifting9 i guess that makes it two things different). I also have begun to use planting fabric under the kennel which allows water (and urine) to pass through so there is no stagnate water, and it makes clean up real easy I just roll it up and replace it.

ihd1gsp

Post by ihd1gsp » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:49 pm

You have a really nice set up. Do the puppies feet fall through the cracks? What age tdo you put them outside?

Thanks
Cheryl :D

LBH

Post by LBH » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:05 am

Yes, they do fall through the cracks for a while, but it teaches the pups coordination and keeps em clean.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Lantz is correct & it also builds muscle plus helps pups learn to handle a little stress.You be surprised how fast they learn to walk down the rails or step only on the slats.I will also say I use the spring loaded doors on the houses,people are amased to see 8 to 10 wk old pups using them.If you ever have a pup that won't use the door send him down the Rd as a pet & don't waste your time trying to make a bird dog out of him.JMO