Well... we bit the bullet and bought a puppy...

anthonyauto

Well... we bit the bullet and bought a puppy...

Post by anthonyauto » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Well, hello. It's been about 10 years since I've had to make one of these 'new to the breed' posts, so bear with me.

Our names are Elizabeth and Kevin LaRue. We have two children, Tiffany (12) and Levi (6). We have two dogs that live with us, Molly (13-Irish Setter) and Vixen (5-Chinese Crested Powder Puff). We co-own several champion briards with my best friend Marsha Clamp, and are getting a show briard puppy sometime in the fall, we hope.

We almost lost Molly a couple of weeks ago. She was diagnosed with cancer in 2005, while she and I still lived in Massachusetts. At that point, she was 9, and the vet figured given their average lifespan, that it would likely detract from her quality of life to treat it, so we didn't. We combat the symptoms with good diet, excercise, and a lot of patience. A dear friend lost a 5 year old briard during chemo, and I just didn't want Molly to go that way.

Well, I never dreamed I would have her 4 more years, and she started to go down hill a couple of weeks ago. Went from puppy energy to old dog energy, barely had enough oomph to lift her head for a bite of yogurt. So, the family piled into the vehicle, and we went to the vet together. We thought it might be the last trip we would take with her. At the vet, she did a 180. Rallied big time. She told us it wasn't time. So, we did some blood work, found out that she had cancer... (big surprise) and ZERO THYROID!!! Put her on hormone meds and she's back to her old self again! She's a fighter!

While we were going through this, I got to thinking that 6 is an awful young age to lose your best friend. Levi and Molly are really tight. And she's too amicable to lay down when she has had enough and will do whatever Levi wants, even if it means fetching until she drops. Knowing that she loves the kids, but could probably use a break, I started looking frantically for an irish setter to help her out with the 'load'.

We talked to lots of breeders, but they all wanted so much for a puppy. So, we started to consider red and white setters. Same thing there, too much for a puppy. So, we started looking at a breed that I have admired since I was a kid, but never saw many around... The Gordon Setter.

After much searching, calling breeders all over the eastern united states, emailing questions galore, we finally settled on a puppy in North Carolina. We wanted a puppy that could be shown, but came from solid hunting lines, that was affable, affectionate, easy going, but plenty of energy. Ultimately, it was down to two, and the deciding factor was the parents health clearances, which the North Carolina puppy had great hips behind him.

Yesterday, I paid for the little boy I wanted, and we will be picking him up Sunday in New Bern, NC, which is about half way for the breeder to where we'll be staying in Williamston for the weekend for a trapping convention. We are actually from West Virginia, and are having quite the time trying to find conformation or training classes of any kind in Greenbrier County or surrounding areas.

So... there you go. :)

GSPVIZ

Re: Well... we bit the bullet and bought a puppy...

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:31 pm

Welcome to the GDF! :)
Gorden's are beautiful dogs.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:17 pm

Welcome. Post some pictures when you can. We all love puppy pics. 8)

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Will do. I'm kind of anxious to see him myself. He's out of an american Aila Mercedes Pink x danish Vuller. I like that he goes back to some European stock. Both parents are good hunters, so I'm excited for my first puppy that I'm going to try to train and compete with. Molly is a good setter, hunts well, doesn't flag, and honors very well, so I'm kind of spoiled by her (sheer luck that she turned out the way she did).

I have NO experience training hunting dogs. I'm a conformation handler, so my goal to get this puppy and go utility is going to be quite something if I manage to accomplish it. lol.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Fuess on this board also has a Gordon. I am sure he would like to hear from you.

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:33 pm

I sent him a pm.

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:26 pm

Welcome indeed!
I especially like seeing and hearing from people who have one of the less popular breeds on this forum. :P
I have a Large Munsterlander and a sweet young German Longhair Pointer will be arriving the end of May.
Please post some pictures and keep us all informed. :)
And by the way, what does buying a puppy have to do with bitting the bullit!? :?
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

fuess

Post by fuess » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:10 am

I sent you a PM. Call me and we can chat. My 2 finger typing takes forever!

The Gordons I have had have not "needed" to be trained, just needed exposure. The person that needed training in my experience, was ME! It is just hard to believe they will/can do it, just let them go and do it.

Look forward to catching up with you!

Good luck!

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:44 am

lol. Biting the bullet was my reference to me accepting that Molly is getting old. Shoot, she IS old. It seemed to me that her face turned gray overnight, and her eyes turned cloudy in a matter of minutes. Everyone else who saw her over the years saw her getting old, but I didn't. She's been my best friend through my high school graduation, my first marriage, my husband's death, 7 crazy years of being a cook on a dude ranch, an automobile salesperson, a landscaper, a glorified bird and fish feeder, a groomer, and now, owner of a transmission repair shop. She has seen and played in both the pacific and atlantic oceans (prefers the atlantic, but isn't too sure about those horseshoe crabs). She has been to the Gulf of Mexico and to Niagara falls. She has been to three different countries, and has done more travelling than most dogs, and not once did she ever bat an eye. So it was hard for me to acknowledge that we have gotten older, so yes, it was definately BITING a bullet for me. lol. I have never seen a munsterlander. Heard of them, but never seen them. Do you have a large or small?

Will call you fuess when I get back from the SE NTA trapper's convention in NC around Monday-ish!

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:27 pm

anthonyauto wrote:lol. Biting the bullet was my reference to me accepting that Molly is getting old. Shoot, she IS old. It seemed to me that her face turned gray overnight, and her eyes turned cloudy in a matter of minutes. Everyone else who saw her over the years saw her getting old, but I didn't. She's been my best friend through my high school graduation, my first marriage, my husband's death, 7 crazy years of being a cook on a dude ranch, an automobile salesperson, a landscaper, a glorified bird and fish feeder, a groomer, and now, owner of a transmission repair shop. She has seen and played in both the pacific and atlantic oceans (prefers the atlantic, but isn't too sure about those horseshoe crabs). She has been to the Gulf of Mexico and to Niagara falls. She has been to three different countries, and has done more travelling than :( most dogs, and not once did she ever bat an eye. So it was hard for me to acknowledge that we have gotten older, so yes, it was definately BITING a bullet for me. lol. I have never seen a munsterlander. Heard of them, but never seen them. Do you have a large or small?
I absolutely know what you mean! (as does most everybody on this forum) It's a tough pill to swallow. :(

I have a Large Munsterlander. He's a great dog and really the same as a German Longhair Pointer, except for the color. GLP's are brown and white or brown and Munstees are black and white.
Here are a few pictures of Moses.

Though Moses is only 14 mos. old, he's already found that spot in my heart. It doesn't take them long!

Get some pictures going! Keep us all posted!

dennmor

Image Image Image

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Beautiful dog! I will put some pictures up as soon as I take them (and there will be a LOT of pictures!)

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:38 pm

anthonyauto wrote:Beautiful dog! I will put some pictures up as soon as I take them (and there will be a LOT of pictures!)
There 'ya go! :P

Image Image Image

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 pm

Who is the breeder? I'm pretty familiar with the Gordon breeders here in the SouthEast. I run in field trials and hunt tests with quite a few of them.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

fuess

Post by fuess » Fri May 01, 2009 6:11 am

Here is a pic of my youngest. He is what I consider a dual dog. A friend Randy Young, has the same style of dog, from same bloodlines, and rns his dogs in NC and surrounds.

I hope the picture comes thru!

Fuess

fuess

Post by fuess » Fri May 01, 2009 6:15 am

Did not work too well, lets try it again. Soory for my pathetic skills.

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Fri May 01, 2009 8:13 am

Paivi Johnson is the breeder.

I'm going to TRY to put my puppy's pedigree up, but forgive me if I toooootally screw this up...

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Fri May 01, 2009 8:52 am

I did it in paintbrush, so pleeeeeeease cut me some slack. lol.

fuess

Post by fuess » Fri May 01, 2009 9:05 am

HUBERT is everywhere!

ANyway, my dog is Tartana Miliko MacDuff. Hubert is his grandsire, and my older dog grandsire on the other side. Not familiar with all the other dogs, but I really know the Tartana dogs.

THe world is small!

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Fri May 01, 2009 9:16 am

*rofl* I know, I saw that! It's funny. The father is from Denmark. He comes from some good names, like Aens and that crazy long one that starts with a G. lol. I had a heck of a time translating his pedigree and figuring out what it all meant!

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Fri May 01, 2009 8:53 pm

*hrm* The 6 year old boy suspects we're up to something. He asked me why I was putting the crate in the back of the truck. I told him it was for our luggage to keep it safe and sound for our trip this weekend. He didn't act like he believed me.... kid's too smart...

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:36 am

Welcome to GSF

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Mon May 04, 2009 2:26 pm

We picked him up Sunday. The breeders brought two for us to pick from. I picked this boy because his head looked better to me, though both were really really nice. The other one had a nicer rear end, but at this age, so much growing is going on, I felt that head proportions are less apt to change over rear end wigglybutts, ya know? We decided to return from NC by going through the outerbanks since the kids had never played in the ocean before, let alone seen it (step kids). He was FASCINATED with seashells!

I only have a couple of pictures taken right now. I haven't had a chance to stack him up and get some good pics, but here's our first rebellion against the eeeevil crate. Last night, he slept at the foot of the bed. This will be a... transition, to say the least.

I have discovered that while I prefer alternative rock, country music puts him right to sleep... Forgive the blurryness. This was done with the cell phone as I'm having trouble figuring out this whole formatting photo card thingy for my new camera.

So, I present:
LaRue's Stalcaire of Beaudesart
Dog Registration Number: SR54938504

[editted to remove super blurry photo]

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Mon May 04, 2009 3:20 pm

Hey! I don't care what kind of dog you like, that right there is cute! :lol: :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Tue May 05, 2009 7:38 am

He's not quite sure about this whole 'you put my feet where you want them and I'll keep them there' stacking thing. And my dad, who doesn't know anything about dogs, is all nervous and trying not to tie him into a pretzel for the photo, roflmao. I'll try to get a better one in a month.

anthonyauto1

Post by anthonyauto1 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:54 am

Looooong time no post. Can't even get in my old account anymore. Lol. Anyway, our boy has grown up. :)