I Picked Up My Pup from the Trainer And I Get This

Grange

I Picked Up My Pup from the Trainer And I Get This

Post by Grange » Mon May 04, 2009 8:31 am

I sent my english setter pup, Tico, to a trainer for their 3 week Puppy Program and the results were great. She is always hunting and her tail is cracking back and forth the whole time.

I Picked her up yesterday an took her for our first walk this morning since she left. Between the pointing and chasing of redwing black birds she went on two real nice scent points on pheasant. These are game farm birds that left the farm last year and lived out the winter by my house so they act pretty wild. The pictures below are her first true scent points on "wild" birds.

Last edited by Grange on Tue May 05, 2009 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoJack

Re: I Picked Up My Pup from the Trainer And I Get This

Post by BoJack » Mon May 04, 2009 8:34 am

Real Nice.
Dog On Point!!

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Mon May 04, 2009 9:21 am

Pretty intense! Great looking dog.
Dіck

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon May 04, 2009 10:11 am

Wow!! fantastic. A trainer can't make a tail like that. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Mon May 04, 2009 11:03 am

Right on........

Trainers can't make beautiful dogs (as you have there) but they sure can nuture instinct, and in your case with a puppy program, give them the start of their foundation.

CM

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon May 04, 2009 11:16 am

Very nice Grange. Sure can see the Grouse Ridge and Long Gone George in her! Who was she with?
Sharon wrote:Wow!! fantastic. A trainer can't make a tail like that. :)
You are right about that! But they can take that out of them ;)

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon May 04, 2009 12:37 pm

She was with Berg Bros. in Clearwater, MN. From my untrained eye they sure have a nice set up. 50+ acres of Rolling prairie type field fully fenced in for safety. I will say this, she always had an animated tail, but now after some bird contact it is just goes crazy.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Mon May 04, 2009 12:52 pm

That is a great looking pup. i look forward to reading about the future progress and the hunting stories.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

Grouse Dog Guy

Post by Grouse Dog Guy » Mon May 04, 2009 7:30 pm

Pretty pup and I like her pedigree, wait till she muscles up a little..... then hang on! :D

Will

Post by Will » Tue May 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Oh man that sucks!!! They painted her white and glued a long fuzzy tail on her!!! :lol:

She looks awesome!!! Looks like you got a good one coming up. Congrats!!
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

47sgs

Post by 47sgs » Tue May 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Awfully nice looking pup. I've got two of Berg bros. pups that are 15 months old. Pretty amazing little dogs. Bergs do a great job with their dogs.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Tue May 05, 2009 6:49 pm

Holy smokes!! Very nice pup ya got there......

ESetterLove

Post by ESetterLove » Thu May 07, 2009 12:31 am

I have not visited the forum in ages and when I finally do I see this! She is Beautiful!!!
But I do have a thing for Setters.. :wink:
Would like some more information and input about Berg Bros. if possible. I am looking for a trainer that will bring out the best in our new pup.
Enjoy her Grange!

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu May 07, 2009 9:06 am

I first found out about Berg Bros when I was researching english setters. I contacted Scott Berg a while back and was impressed with his willingness to talk about not only his setters, but other breeders and other breeds. He didn't seem to have the kennel blindness or breed blindness that some breeders I talked to seemed to have. I ended up scheduling a visit to his kennels, which aren't terribly far from the Twin Cities, MN. The facilities were nice from my perspective. All the kennel runs were in climate controlled buildings and were clean. The dogs were for the most part calm in their kennels and were friendly with people. They have 50+ acres of fenced in land and they liberate quail on the property. I spent a couple hours talking with both Scott and Ben Berg about their dogs, and their training and breeding philosophy.

I purchased my puppy from a different breeder that was recommended to me from Berg Bros. After I purchased my pup I talked to Scott Berg about his puppy program. I enventually decided to give it a try. I guess Scott is a good salesman. I don't regret my decision.

After the three weeks were up I went to pick up my puppy and Ben wanted to show me how well my puppy was doing. We ran her on a couple quail and I was impressed. She really showed her desire for birds. Her tail was going 150 mph and when she hit point she looked like the pictures above. Now I'm not going to say my pup wouldn't have been able to do this if she didn't go into the puppy program, but It probably would have taken longer to get her to this point. There is no way I would have been able to get her on that many quail that flew that well in that amount of time.

Chicken Dog

Post by Chicken Dog » Fri May 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Grange wrote:I first found out about Berg Bros when I was researching english setters. I contacted Scott Berg a while back and was impressed with his willingness to talk about not only his setters, but other breeders and other breeds. He didn't seem to have the kennel blindness or breed blindness that some breeders I talked to seemed to have. I ended up scheduling a visit to his kennels, which aren't terribly far from the Twin Cities, MN. The facilities were nice from my perspective. All the kennel runs were in climate controlled buildings and were clean. The dogs were for the most part calm in their kennels and were friendly with people. They have 50+ acres of fenced in land and they liberate quail on the property. I spent a couple hours talking with both Scott and Ben Berg about their dogs, and their training and breeding philosophy.

I purchased my puppy from a different breeder that was recommended to me from Berg Bros. After I purchased my pup I talked to Scott Berg about his puppy program. I enventually decided to give it a try. I guess Scott is a good salesman. I don't regret my decision.

After the three weeks were up I went to pick up my puppy and Ben wanted to show me how well my puppy was doing. We ran her on a couple quail and I was impressed. She really showed her desire for birds. Her tail was going 150 mph and when she hit point she looked like the pictures above. Now I'm not going to say my pup wouldn't have been able to do this if she didn't go into the puppy program, but It probably would have taken longer to get her to this point. There is no way I would have been able to get her on that many quail that flew that well in that amount of time.
Who trained the dogs? Do they have a trainer or does Scott or Ben train them?

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri May 08, 2009 9:52 pm

Ben was doing most of the training, but I believe Scott took my puppy out at least once.

snook

Post by snook » Sat May 09, 2009 6:21 am

Sweet.
My 1963 Savoy Website: http://www.63savoy.com/

The "Dad, Dog and Fish" Book Blog: http://daddogandfish.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -fish.html

Chicken Dog

Post by Chicken Dog » Sat May 09, 2009 7:17 am

Grange wrote:Ben was doing most of the training, but I believe Scott took my puppy out at least once.
What do they charge?