My dog was not stimulated by bottled scent

GSP 4 me

My dog was not stimulated by bottled scent

Post by GSP 4 me » Fri May 22, 2009 11:45 pm

I was over my brother-in-law's place this afternoon and he went into the garage and pulled out a recently purchased "pheasant scent" in a bottle. He took it outside and poured some by a tree in his yard. We let my GSP go out there and he didn't find it. My brother-in-law guided my dog over to where he dropped the scent and the dog took a few sniffs, then walked away unimpressed.

I guess the stuff wasn't spot on beacause my dog goes crazy with just pheasant wings alone.

Has anyone else found that pheasant scent in a bottle didn't strike any interest in your dog as well?

R-Heaton

Re: My dog was not stimulated by bottled scent

Post by R-Heaton » Sat May 23, 2009 12:30 am

GSP 4 me wrote:the dog took a few sniffs, then walked away unimpressed
Just curious on what you actually expected him to do? I know what I expected when I bought the latest pheromone cologne at Macy's,,,, I felt a little cheated too but didn't have the guts to take it back and demand my money back.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat May 23, 2009 4:37 am

I believe the scents are just another gimic to seperate us from our money. I have fallen for it in the past myself. It is worthless for dog training or anything else IMO. :oops:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 23, 2009 5:27 am

For an animal that can tell two birds from each other I am sure that smells like something out of a bottle to them. Not sure just what though.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat May 23, 2009 9:15 am

birddogger wrote:I believe the scents are just another gimic to seperate us from our money. I have fallen for it in the past myself. It is worthless for dog training or anything else IMO. :oops:

Charlie
x's 2 - I could'nt have said it better myself.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Sat May 23, 2009 10:48 am

Well, given his keen sense of smell, I thought if the scent was anything close to the real thing he would have found it on his own. Like some of you said....I think it's just a gimmick.

R-Heaton,
Have you tried Axe body spray?...it always works in the commercials!!! :roll:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat May 23, 2009 11:29 am

R-Heaton wrote:
GSP 4 me wrote:the dog took a few sniffs, then walked away unimpressed
Just curious on what you actually expected him to do? I know what I expected when I bought the latest pheromone cologne at Macy's,,,, I felt a little cheated too but didn't have the guts to take it back and demand my money back.

LOL LOL What? The girls weren't all over you? :mrgreen:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 am

Most of us have fallen prey to that stuf when we were inexperienced. I bought rabbit scent for my Jack Russell. He gave me one :roll: look and went looking for a real rabbit.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun May 24, 2009 8:32 am

few years ago I had two young fella's pick out 2 promissing 7 week old pups of my litter-

I told them along with the sale each would be invited to hunt that fall with the the parents as long as the pups had the basics and would back-

they were having problems when the pups were 4 months old- so I had them bring them over-

somewhere they got the idea that using scents and training the pups to point scented wings was important- I'd never tried that so I was interested to see it

what we had was two pups who would cover ground pretty good but not get out very far- two owners felt the pups needed to keep within 60 yards and hunt the ground hard- pups were looking and smelling for the quail scent they were used to- had nice style on the scented wings

So we let my female out, the mother- she ignored all wings- we discussed it- they didn't understand- I explained I wanted mine looking for and pointing only the type birds I intended to shoot- told them I considered it critical to only shoot what I wanted them hunting- and I didn't want mine looking for and pointing wings- wouldn't hunt with someone who had one that did-

they left upset

one guy came back with his pup- we took the pup with my female to an area I knew had a covey- mine found it and locked up- his wasn't interested- flushed the covey- held back my female- pup ran over one- turned and chased- so I did a bit of whoa work with the pup- got into where i knew the quail had spread out- pup got excited- flushed two and was hunting for quail

All I could tell the guy was stop with the wings and scent- wait for hunting season and take the pup alone- just him and the pup- and if all else fails get to a Pro Trainer

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun May 24, 2009 9:49 pm

I've met a few dogs that really got worked up over bottle scent.............fact is I owned one that was a killer bottle scent finder.That danged dog knocked over and consumed any beer I ever made the mistake of setting down within reach.A true boozehound. :lol:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon May 25, 2009 7:54 am

Wildweeds wrote:I've met a few dogs that really got worked up over bottle scent.............fact is I owned one that was a killer bottle scent finder.That danged dog knocked over and consumed any beer I ever made the mistake of setting down within reach.A true boozehound. :lol:
that's a good one- one wouldn't want to set one down where mine could find it