Bird Dog Museum

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Bird Dog Museum

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:14 pm

I had the pleasure this past weekend of traveling to the Bird Dog Museum in Grand Junction, Tennessee. For those who don't know, Grand Junction is where the Ames Plantation is located, where the American Field National Championship is held. It is also where Wilson Dunn's Sporting Goods started up. Those of you who have been in dogs for more than a day or two know that was the place to get all things related to field trialing a few years back.

I had corresponded a few times with David Smith, the Executive Director of the Museum, and seen pictures of it, but the pictures made the place seem small. To a dog person of any kind, it is breathtaking! It houses the Museum, the Bird Dog Hall of Fame, and the National Retriever Hall of Fame. The Museum has displays for every imaginable bird dog, everything from LMP's and Spinone's to Brittanys and GSP's, to pointers and setters. They have what appears to be a complete set of the American Field, a large library of every kind of dog book and magazine, and pictures and tributes to all of the trainers and dog people who have contributed to the dog sports in the US.

NAVHDA has a very nice exhibit there, so does the NGSPA, the American Brittany Club, the spaniel club, the retrievers, and many many other dog organizations.

For anyone who loves sporting dogs and everything they represent, it is a truly beautiful place. We were only able to spend an hour or so going through the exhibit. I would like to go back some day and spend a whole day there.

It is well worth a trip and a contribution. http://www.birddogfoundation.com/nation ... museum.htm

I can post some pictures when I get them downloaded.

BrettBryan

Re: Bird Dog Museum

Post by BrettBryan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:35 pm

Wagonmaster,

You are right on the money. I've been a few times and i enjoy it every time I go. I love looking at the pictures of all the past greats. It's well worth the trip if you love bird dogs.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

SFK

Post by SFK » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:39 pm

Always wanted to get down there. Hopefully I can do it someday...

gunner

Post by gunner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:37 pm

John,

A very nice report on a very fine museum. I've enjoyed my visits there each time I was near the area.

One small addition though. Wilson Dunn at a youthful 91 is still operating his gun dog supply store there in Grand Junction, housed in the old school just a short drive from the museum. Be sure to save enough time to listen to the grand stories Wilson has to share. He is a genuine Tennessee treasure!

He still puts out a catalog for the asking which carries many dog, horse and field trial items that you may not be able to find elsewhere.

You can reach Wilson Dunn's dog and horse supply at...
(731) 764-2041
530 Madison Ave W
Grand Junction, TN 38039

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:47 pm

John,

Thanks for the info....never knew it existed. Will add it to the "must go" list!

Randy

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:20 pm

And, if you can, buy something off Wilson Dunn. He sells a good roading harness! There aint many more in the buisness like Mr. Dunn. If you're nice enough, he'll load you in the ranger and take you for a spin around the Ames plantation and you'll get an education, on the whole deal. it's priceless!

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:57 am

I am very glad that Wilson Dunn is still there and operating. There is a faded old sign on the left as you drive from the restaurant toward the BDM that says Wilson Dunn's (and I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it is a fixture too, lots of dog pictures, they want to know if you are a bird dog person).

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:18 pm

We loved it when we went a couple of yrs ago. The paintings are breathtaking IMO.
brenda