MAking a homemade Zinger type launcher

Munster

MAking a homemade Zinger type launcher

Post by Munster » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:23 pm

I looked up what a new one would cost and it blew my mind. HAs anyone attempted to make one of these or something similar on there own? Thanks
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Re: MAking a homemade Zinger type launcher

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:22 pm

I just watched the video on it. Does not look too complicated. You could make a frame from aluminum tubing or I would use aluminum electrical conduit. You could probably borrow a conduit bender from an electrical contractor in your area to bend it to your specs. Heavy duty surgical tubing and either a piece of heavy duty tarp or canvas and some lightweight pulleys should work for the bird launching mechanism. You could use the specs for making a manual launcher into an electronic launcher that is listed on this website to do your electronics. That was for the Zinger Winger type launcher not the upland launcher. JMO.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:53 pm

The Tri-Tronics remote release trigger is sold as just electronics. In other words, it receives a signal to "launch" from the transmitter, and sends out an electrical "launch" signal. You then need an electrically operated trigger (such as a solenoid) to convert the electrical signal to a mechanical motion. You could make one. Or you could buy the release trigger that is sold for the EZ Releasers. The EZ has a metal bar that acts like a hammer to "pound" a mechanical trigger mechanism. From there it would be a matter of erecting a frame and rubber band launcher.

Munster

Post by Munster » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:06 pm

WOW! :oops: Wagon all that flew right over my head! :oops:
I am not very handy when it comes to electronics. I will read it a few more times though.

Tommyboy, What was the name of the video? Where can I view it?

I was directed to a link to a homemade one out of PVC looks as though he has been using them for 6 years or so. I just need to figure it all out as he doesnt go into great detail as to how he made them. Here is the link for any of you that maybe interested.
http://www.kwicklabs.com/Winger%20Photogallery.htm

Thanks for the help.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:35 pm

Here is the link on the zinger winger website that might help you take a look at it like I did and figure something out. I am not handy enough to build one but certainly can make suggestions. :)

http://www.zingerwinger.com/productpage/setup2.swf

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:27 am

Well, I am assuming that you want this launcher to trigger remotely. To do that, you need a remote release set up. That basically requires that you have a transmitter that sends a radio signal to "launch." You have to convert the radio signal to mechanical action. To do that, you need a transmitter (the hand unit - you push a button) and you need a receiver. Tri-Tronics sells that. It is their remote releaser.

So now you push the button on the hand unit, the receiver receives the command to launch, and what does it do with that command it has received. In the case of the Tri-Tronic unit, it converts the command to an outgoing electrical signal, not a mechnical one. In this case though, rather than being a radio signal, the outgoing signal from the Tri-Tronics receiver is a hard wired signal (it goes out over an electrical wire plugged into the receiver).

So now you have pushed the button on the hand unit, the radio signal has gone out, it has been received by the receiver, and the receiver has instantaneously emitted an electrical signal to "launch" that goes out over a hard wire plugged into the receiver. How do you convert that to a mechanical action, i.e. how do you trigger the mousetrap or in this case the Zinger, to launch.

To do that you need some kind of mechanical action. As I said, there is a remote releaser sold for the EZ release traps. It plugs into the Tri-Tronics receiver. It accepts the electrical signal from the Tri-Tronics unit over the hardwire, and converts it to mechanical action. In this case, that consists of a flat metal bar that, for lack of a better term, acts like a hammer and pounds on whatever you want pounded on. An example of a mechanical release is a mousetrap. You set the mousetrap and then something has to pound or push down on the trigger to cause the trap to snap shut. That is what the EZ releaser does.

You could set your "Zinger" up to be manually released too, i.e. you pull a string or something, to trigger it. But if you are going to do that, then why not use one of the hand launchers that use a .22 blank to propel a dummy, or just use a sling shot of some kind.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Thanks John. :wink:

stetson82

Post by stetson82 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:11 am

i made one last night like the kwiklabs link one it was easy took about 30 min and cost around 40 bucks. it works great. it will propably cost a little more and take a little longer for most as i am a plumber so i had the pvc and could assemble quick. made the cloth part out of an old tie down strap and some camo fabric with tarp grommits installed. the remote part i am waiting on parts but i am going to do it the ayers did it for the bird launchers. i hope to getr some pics of it up soon. adam

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Adam, Do you think you could break it down pretty simply for those of us that arent so handy?

stetson82

Post by stetson82 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:23 pm

I will do my best I started out with 4 4 ft pieces of 3/4 pvc and 4 2ft of 1/2 pvc. then slide a piece of 3/4 over the half so that the 2 tees touch the 1/2 90s on the 2 ft piece of 1/2 inch do the same with the other side only with 3 1/2 inch pieces of 3/4 in the ends of the tees. then glue the 2 ft pieces of 1/2 together to make a square with the 3/4 lengths slide over the 1/2 on opposite ends. the 4 ft pieces go into the 4 tees but dont glue yet. then at the other ends glue 4 3/4 tees on all in a row then connect all the tees with pipe but do not glue one joint between the tees on each side so it will fold easier. then on one side about 1 ft down from the square end cut in 2 3/4x1/2 tees with a piece of 1/2 pipe connecting them slide a 3/4 tee over that 1/2 before you glue. put your pulleys in the corners and drill in 4 eyelets and stretch your tubing and basket and use whatever release you wish..
material
10 ft 1/2 inch pipe $1
20 ft 3/4 inch pipe $2.50
4 good pulleys w/ swivel $3 each
4 1/2 inch 90s $.12 each
9 3/4 inch tees buy the bag of 10 $2
2 3/4x1/2 tees $.48 each
5 1/4 x 20 eyelets make sure they have a 1 1/4 of thread $.28 zinc $.99 stainless
4 small metal hooks $.99 for 10 zinc $.25 a piece stainless
dont forget the 1/4 20 nuts and washers
surgical tubing works but the extra heavy stuff the vets have for castration work the best also but tubing is around $3 per ft
bungee cord material is better in the pulleys and $,79 a ft
need about 12 ft
a release of some sort
1 14 inch basket can be ordered for $25 but i have made all mine with old tie down strap camo fabric and tarp grommets cost $.80 worth of grommets and the fabric
the remote i built the way ayers did it for his bird launcher those will run about $50 a piece to build (the shipping is alot of it)
any body have any ?s email me aball_82@yahoo.com or call i will walk you through it Adam 815 973 1389