How to tell coat length on a gwp when it is a puppy

dugger13

How to tell coat length on a gwp when it is a puppy

Post by dugger13 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:39 pm

Is there a magic way to tell what kind of coat a gwp will have when it is a puppy? When does the coat grow out, stop growing etc... Is there any magic number?

Besides obviously looking at the parents.

here is my possible suspect at 7 weeks:

http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k375 ... une-09.jpg

then again right now at 9 weeks

http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k375 ... lePup2.jpg
Last edited by dugger13 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhoughton

Re: How to tell coat length on a gwp when it is a puppy

Post by jhoughton » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:46 pm

You need to reach out to Ron Wilson...he looks at a pup and can tell what type of coat it will have. Something about looking between the toes...not quite sure how he does it, but he is pretty accuarate.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:25 pm

It does not look like you have anything to worry about:) Thats a cutie :D
brenda

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:51 pm

i am hoping that it doesn't turn out to fluffy in the body. I do not like the griffon look. Sorry griff people.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:45 am

My guess is that this puppy will have a longer coat. Not saying it will be soft, but it will be longer. At 9 wks, the ultimate GWP coat will look like a GSP that needs a shave, just a bit of whiskering around the edges of the lips, maybe a bit of longer hair on the ear, just a bit of length to the body, no real furnishings on the legs. The feet will look harsh and fuller, but not hairy.

Also, when a gwp puppy is brown rather than a dark liver, it's sometimes an indication that it will be a longer coat. Doesn't always hold true, but its a rule of thumb. Some like the longer coat, others like the shorter coats. As long as they are harsh, they both have their place.

I'd suggest if you get the puppy, strip out the puppy fuzzies now. Give the coat a good head start, and keep up with the grooming as he grows.

He's a cutie!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:12 am

Well now i am second guessing what to do. I would rather have a shorter coated dog, but really love that males look.
My second choice is this one. When do furnishings come in on the wirehairs? Will this female get them?

http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k375 ... lepup3.jpg

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:29 am

There is more to a pup than just coat. I would be looking at the overall appereance and how they carry themselves (I love a higher tailset) and attitude. If they both have what you are looking for then it would be hard. I prefer the second pups coat, but I personally do not like alot of hair. But if 1st pup was best in other departments, then I would go with #1.
brenda

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:38 am

The male is the "pick of the litter" by the breeder. I use that term loosely, but in his estimation, it will be the best pup of the litter.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:12 am

I totally agree with Brenda, the coat is just one piece of a GWP, and of any dog. If this is the puppy you like best, if it has the best overall qualities, then that's the pup to take.

One can groom a longer coat, one cannot fix other stuff quite so easily. When I'm looking at puppies, I always check the coat and will pass on iffy dogs with either great coats, or poor coats. Now show me a beautiful puppy, with just the right attitude and I'll overlook an iffy coat. I'll never ever choose a puppy just because it appears to have a great coat.

The second dog you posted will probably have a better coat in the long run.....

But be warned... I've seen Wire puppies that had a ton of coat only to have it all come out around 5 or 6 months old. Then they had a great coat! Seen some that appeared to have just the right amount at 10 wks.. only to have it bloom and grow, and grow and end up with nasty coats. So sometimes, it's really a crapshoot.

The adult in the breeders photobox appears to have a very nice coat.....

Fuzz

windswept

Post by windswept » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:15 am

Of the two, the female will have a shorter coat (based upon a few pictures). She already has a beard and some length on her ears so furnishings are already in.
I prefer a coat like you have described. I'm not much for the haystack look. Both would satisfy me as neither are too long. I think that the male should turn out just fine. I would be very surprised if he had a long coat when fully grown. He will have a pretty full face but his body will probably look pretty nice. Mess around a bit on my website and you will see pictures of a few pups and more pictures of them as adults.
I think I'd go with your first choice, the male.
Good luck.

Adam Dahlstrom

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:57 am

I don't have the experience that some of the others do, but, looks like they may be pretty hairy. I like a nice tight coat.

I agree with brenda and Fuzz. Coat should be one of the last things to pick. Just recently kept a dog out of a litter for stud fee and really didn't like the coat at 8 weeks (she was pretty slick and also the runt). However she was the one that seemed like she had the most going on for her. Real nice tail set at 11 to 12 o' clock and nice high head. She is also real out going with alot of attitude. She is now 11 weeks and I still am not thrilled about her coat though it is coming in a little. Still have to look real hard to see furnishings but I wouldn't trade her thats for sure.

Can any one tell me at what age does there coat stop changing and you can tell what you have? I can't remember with my male seems like he kept getting a little more until he was about 1 year old.

Thanks

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:08 am

Coats will make their main coat change around 6 months old, some continue to change well into their first year. It's all according to the type of coat they have.

Dugger, let us know which puppy you choose, and maybe post some photos as he/she grows. It will be interesting to see what their coats do.
Best of luck with whichever comes home with you!
Fuzz

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:01 am