homemade dog trailer

stetson82

homemade dog trailer

Post by stetson82 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:55 pm

Im getting to the point were I need a dog trailer. I wanted to build one after seeing the costs of them. Was wondering if anybody had ideas I was thinking wood or aluminium but wasnt sure. Was hoping somebody had some ideas or some pics of differnt ones others had built. Thanks Adam

BoJack

Re: homemade dog trailer

Post by BoJack » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:07 pm

PM'd you.click on the links in the PM
Dog On Point!!

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Here us the one I pieced together. I have between $2500 and $3000 in it. It is all alum. so it will last for a very long time, and is light enough for me to move around by myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:51 pm

I started with a 12' aluminum utility trailer and had 4 hole boxes built to fit. There is enough room on back for 4 wheeler or other dog boxes. I have just under $3,000 in it.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:41 am

If you build one yourself make sure the doors on the side not the back, doors on the back will suck dust into them like a vacuum.

I looked at trailers and figured out I could buy a used van and make 6 dog plywood dog for the same money, and the van is handy for other things in the off season. Its more secure, safer for the dogs, warmer in the winter although too hot for summer work.

IF your interested I can give you a link on how I built it.

I also put a "lockright" locker in the rear end of the van for traction and higly recommend that for any two wheel drive hunting vehicle.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:30 am

I am interested... can your post the link or PM me with it.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:05 am

currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:08 pm

Cool.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Thats what we use, we have a 6 hole trailer but rarely use it since we got the van. Rick put a raised floor in it and have the gun droors underneath crates. We have 6 crates inside and can add a couple of more in the middle. I like knowing they are safe on trips also.
brenda

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:26 am

BoJack wrote:PM'd you.click on the links in the PM
BoJack, could you post or pm me the info you mentioned.

Thanks
Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Brad

Post by Brad » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:18 am

Ron R wrote:
BoJack wrote:PM'd you.click on the links in the PM
BoJack, could you post or pm me the info you mentioned.

Thanks
Ron
Ditto Bojack.

Thanks,
Brad

buckshot

Post by buckshot » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Before

Now

I took a fullsize dog box and added it to a custom 4' x 6' trailer.

I had Extreme Dog Boxes cut some panels to attach to the side mesh of the trailer so I could add graphics.

Now that I have had the dog box LineX, I have a few things left I want to do my set-up. I have 15" tires on it on it but want to put some that hold up in mud better and then I want to make a section of the tailgate have a smaller tailgate within itself as to open up and let the bassets out without having to let down the bigger tailgate.

I would eventually like to have the whole trailer LineX as well down the road.

It's a work in progress. Since the "now" pics I have added some poles at the end of the trailer to help see at night when backing where the end of the trailer is on both sides as well as some reflective strips on the side of the trailer.

Over the Labor Day weekend I added a light source for the backend of the trailer to have some light..........I had a spare 17v coon hunting light as the light source.........bright enough as well as easy enough to charge.

Mounted a light bracket on a project box and connected it to the side of the trailer. All I have to do is open the dog box and attach the light head to the side now.

CoonDawgs.com - A Site Designed for Coon Hunters
American Houndsmen - Vintage Hound Hunting
Coon Dog Cemetery - Key Underwood Coon Dog Memorial Graveyard
HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Drew "Buckshot" Werndli
Phone [615] 216-5650

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:32 pm

here is mine that i made i would sell this one for 650.00 i made it and havent used it yet it has been sitting in my garage for a few months the tongue needs to be replaced but this dog trailer can hold 3 medium dogs and 3 large dogs or 9 small to medium dogs and it has a place in the front for a water tank and in the back has storage for your bird launchers dog food and a box for your training supplies but let me know if you are interested
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kick'em up knock'em down

Sir Buckwheat

Post by Sir Buckwheat » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:44 am

You can go to Lowes and buy a trailer for anywhere from $400-$1600 depending on what you want or need. I'm probably going to buy one of their enclosed trailers and build boxes inside. Then all I have to do outside is cut doors and vents. You could do it with a flat bed one but it would take a little more time. I've done it, and it would be cheaper I'm just always short on time myself. I built one for my brother where he used 55gallon drums for the compartments. They worked well but theres a lot of wasted space. I'll have to see if I can dig up a picture of it.

Heres the trailers at lowes. Take your pic and let your imagination run as wild as your pocket book will let it...

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

I plan on putting some sillouettes (spelling??) on mine. My wife's friend has a vynil lettering machine that does some awesome stuff, or you can buy stickers but they are a little pricey...

Also they have several other sizes of trailers I didn't put on here. Check their website and you can probably find one that is the right size for what you need. I also plan on putting bigger tires on mine to save the axles.

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:48 pm

In that same vein.... check out some of the trailers available at Harbor Freight. They have some pretty affordable options. Watch out for the small tires if you are going cross country though.

www.harborfreight.com

Shane

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:57 pm

sjkennels wrote:here is mine that i made i would sell this one for 650.00 i made it and havent used it yet it has been sitting in my garage for a few months the tongue needs to be replaced but this dog trailer can hold 3 medium dogs and 3 large dogs or 9 small to medium dogs and it has a place in the front for a water tank and in the back has storage for your bird launchers dog food and a box for your training supplies but let me know if you are interested
Is there some type of material covering the wood on the outside of the trailer or is it just painted?

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:01 pm

its just painted now. but someone told me of some stuff to put on it. that makes it hold up to rain. that i still need to put on. hopefully i can do that this weekend.
kick'em up knock'em down

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:56 am

shanebevel@gmail.com wrote:In that same vein.... check out some of the trailers available at Harbor Freight. They have some pretty affordable options. Watch out for the small tires if you are going cross country though.

http://www.harborfreight.com

Shane
I've been using my SW with a homemade dog box inside- now with two growing pups I've been thinking about those trailers- also enjoy building with wood- maybe get one of those and make a box that can be taken off so as to use it for more than just the dogs- CDX/exterior 1/2" plywood would seem about right-

three of us made such over a weekend long ago- it worked well and the money invested wasn't that much

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:46 am

Shadow wrote:
shanebevel@gmail.com wrote:In that same vein.... check out some of the trailers available at Harbor Freight. They have some pretty affordable options. Watch out for the small tires if you are going cross country though.

http://www.harborfreight.com

Shane
I've been using my SW with a homemade dog box inside- now with two growing pups I've been thinking about those trailers- also enjoy building with wood- maybe get one of those and make a box that can be taken off so as to use it for more than just the dogs- CDX/exterior 1/2" plywood would seem about right-

three of us made such over a weekend long ago- it worked well and the money invested wasn't that much
There was just a trailer posted to Craigslist here that was homemade, take the dog box off, put the motorcycle rails on and head to the races. It was a perfect fit for me, but it needed paint and other stuff and I don't need another project right now. Interesting concept though.

stetson82

Post by stetson82 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:47 am

I finally built one of my own about a month and a half ago thanks for the ideas. mine is 4 x 8 with 4 dog holes divided in between with 3/4 pvc pipe for ventilation it is all aluminum skinned with white coilstock aluminum and aluminum trim all around it has 2 fold down doors for holding guns and training supplies it also has a pressurized 15 gal water tank and 2 marine deep cycle batteries to run the fans .. it has been working great and keeps the dogs cool at some very hot hunt tests i am going to try to post some pictures

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:00 pm

you're going to crack up- ours you could removed the whole top

what was more interesting- the thought was that one person should be able to remove it
since I had my little female EP in there with the other dogs I always worried about someone running into the back of the trailer