Boot suggestions

natetnc

Boot suggestions

Post by natetnc » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:20 am

Starting my search for a new pair of boots. My current boots are Irish Setters and have been a little dissapointed in them so I am looking to try a different brand. I am looking for a versatile boot that will get the job done in mountain terrain as well as flat land. My Irish Setters didn't stay waterproof for long despite the goretex lining...... I am looking for something that will stay waterproof for a while. As much as I would like to have a pair of russells or an equivalent I just can't drop that much $ on a pair of boots at this time, I am looking to spend less than $180, I know that limits my choices but the money tree I planted hasn't matured yet.

I have read a lot of good things about danner pronghorns and have actually tried them on. They are light, fit good, and the danner name says a lot to me as I have known others who have been very pleased with thier other products. The sole design is a bit more aggresive than the LL Bean boot, may help in the mtns but don't know if that would make it less comfortable in other situations.

The other boot I have been looking at is the goretex kangaroo upland hunter from LL Bean. Reviews, although not as many, were really good on this boot as well. I don't know anyone personally who has purchased a boot from LL Bean but all of the other items (coats and such) I have purchased have been good quality items.

Any other suggestions within my $ limit? Any personal experiences with either of these two boots?

-Nate

Adam Dahlstrom

Re: Boot suggestions

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:03 am

Bozeman boot by Schnees. They are the only way to go IMO. They cost more than what you would like to spend though. Never had a water problem with mine. If you go with the Danners I wouldn't get the pronghorns. I went through 3 pairs in less than a year. They kept leaking water even just walking in damp grass. Maybe just my bad luck but I doubt it. I will say the Pronghorns were the most comfortable with virtually no break in period. However, they just don't hold up.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:26 am

well, thanks for the abundance of replies, guess i will go with the LL Bean boot.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:46 am

Whites is well respected here in the PNW
http://www.whitesboots.com/

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:25 pm

I know my choices would not set well with a lo of people but I have two pair right now that both fit well, are comfortable, water proof, look good. and have lasted well. The pair with the most insulation that are used promarily for deer hunting and ice fishing are Browning's and the pair used for upland hunting are Rocky's. Both were bought for 70 dollars or less from a discount house inb the past three years. I still have the older Rocky's I had but the rubber soles started to crumble after 8 or 10 years of wear. But they are still comfortable and water proof but were getting a little slick when you needed good traction.

I just never felt the need to spend a lot of money for the highpriced boots that are out there plus I just couldn't justify the cost.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:23 pm

I personally swear by Muck chore boots. They are about $80. I am way too hard on boots to spend much more than that. They are water proof and mud does'nt stick to the bottoms and weigh you down. They are supprisingly comfortable and I can walk all day in them without any feet problems and they are very tough. I would'nt recommend them for warmer weather 75 degrees or warmer they may make your feet sweat but they do fine in the freezing cold weather. After re-reading this I guess no matter what boot you wear your feet are going to sweat when working in 80 degree weather. They are not comfortable to some people so try a pair on and see what you think, I will never be without a pair.

Good Luck

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Assuming you are talking regular bean boots, I would not recommend them for mountain hunting! Little to no ankle support. You might have a hard time finding them in your price range, but the choice I would suggest can occasionally be found on sale--any of the Meindl made hunting boots from Cabela's.

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:45 pm

In my opinion a good pair of boots are worth thier wieght in gold. You can hunt longer, harder, and over rougher terain with good quality boots.

If you are going to buy Danners I would suggest getting a stich down model, but that is going to go over your budget. You can buy yourself a pair of $175 boots every couple years, or you can buy some real boots and have them last 5-10 years with proper care.

For proper boots care look here:
http://www.obenaufs.com/lp.php?osCsid=3 ... 595c7098d5
That is by far the best boot grease i have ever used.

I have a pair of these that are 7 years old, I completely wore the sole off them and sent them in for a replacement. Now I have 2 pair that i rotate in and out.
http://www.danner.com/product/hood+wint ... agoda2TY_w

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:03 am

I just ordered my second pair after 4 hard years of use. I used my first pair year round for hunting, training, and even some construction and never had any problems. The pigskin leather is indestructible! The soles are just as tough. I couldn't be happier.

Wolverine Durashocks Trappeur Insulated Waterproof Hiker - W03718

http://www.onlinebootstore.com/Merchant ... ode=W8INCH

Nitrex

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:15 am

I use Rockys also. They fit my feet and the cordura upper is light and tough.

I would caution you about kangaroo leather. It is not al that durable if you spend time kicking around in briars and such.

Another suggestion I have is what I use often when I am trialing or training. Cabelas has a pair of ankle height hiking boots that I like. They are about $60 and are just high enough to give pretty good ankle support. They are light as a feather, good traction, waterproof( Dry plus membrane) and the toe is reinforced.

At that price they are very replaceable.

RayG

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:34 pm

I have some L.L. Bean gortex Kangaroo boots, they have a high toe box and drag through the brush more than most boots but what I hate even more than that is the soles. If it has snowed, or if there is any ice on the ground they are slick as they can be. It's not the tread design as much as it is the material used to make the sole. They have worn pretty well but then again I have been selective when and where I have worn them. I do not like them.

BMURPH

Post by BMURPH » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:32 am

You might check Sierra Trading Post. Their selection is some what limited but they have great prices. the best pair of boots I've had came from there and at about a third of the cost. The owners are also big supporters of field trials and GSPs.

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:10 am

I promised my wife when I bought those Tennessee Walking horses they would save me money of the long run because I would not ever wear out another pair of hunting boots! I do not think she bought that though! :mrgreen:
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:23 am

For chores around the house I like something I can slip on and off quickly. For the longest time that was a pair of Land's End zippered tongue boots. Then the zipper tugs snapped on both boots. Come to think of it, though, I still wear them - I just pull the zipper up with a pair of needlenose pliers that I have sitting nearby.

For hunting and training, where I'm going to put on a boot and keep it on all day long, without going back indoors, I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns last spring. That was my first real quality boot, and I might have foregone the purchase if it hadn't been for some rewards vouchers that I had to use up before expiration (Gander Mtn.) I've got to say, I was always skeptical about buying a $150+ pair of boots when I could just get a new pair of $50 boots every couple years. The difference, though, is amazing - and worth the extra cash.

Danner boots come with care instructions, and they have their own line of cleaning and maintenance products to keep the boots lasting a long time. So far they get my vote.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:56 pm

danner has suposedly resolved the leaking problem with the pronghorns. the main problem with them is the soles wear out too fast. but if you want a light wt boot, they are a good choice. just don't plan on keeping them for a very long time, especially if you hunt in rocky country.

some guys just buy a new pair of boots each season.