sportdog and tri-tronics

greatlawn

sportdog and tri-tronics

Post by greatlawn » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:35 pm

Has anyone else heard that Sportdog bought Tri-tronics? Are there going to be any changes?

Maurice

Re: sportdog and tri-tronics

Post by Maurice » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:53 pm

I sure hope that's not true.

Mo

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:20 am

I hope you are wrong. If its true, you'd better buy your TT stuff b4 they start to make it in China or whereever they make Sport Dog.

Doug

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:33 pm

Ha Ricky thought you might like to see this. Sport Dog Brand, Petsafe and Radio Systems Corporation are all the same company. I may be wrong but I thought awhile back they had also purchased the Innotek company as well.

Radio Systems Corporation, doing business as PetSafe, engages in the design and manufacture of pet training, containment, safety, and lifestyle product solutions in the United States. Its products include agility products, kennels and electronic underground fences, bark control systems, remote training products, pet doors, pet identification collars, pet proofing and locating systems, waste removal and wellness products, and pet feeders. The company sells its products through pet stores, mass merchant outlets, online retailers, farm and home stores, and catalog and mail order catalogs in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, France, the Great Britain, Ireland, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Japan, Korea, and the Northern Europe. The company was founded in 1991 and is based in Knoxville, Tennessee with additional offices in Jackson, Tennessee; San Diego, California; Canada; England; and China. Here are some more facts for you as well. Sorry Ricky I am a Sportdog Brand fan. They are partnered with a lot of non profit conservation and hunting organizations, are less expensive and every bit as good.

In-house, state-of-the-art engineering and R&D departments are 100% committed to research, innovation and quality

All Radio Systems Electronic products are manufactured in ISO 9002 certified facilities

Market leader in all key categories; the number one brand in the category

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:45 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Ha Ricky thought you might like to see this. Sport Dog Brand, Petsafe and Radio Systems Corporation are all the same company. I may be wrong but I thought awhile back they had also purchased the Innotek company as well.

Radio Systems Corporation, doing business as PetSafe, engages in the design and manufacture of pet training, containment, safety, and lifestyle product solutions in the United States. Its products include agility products, kennels and electronic underground fences, bark control systems, remote training products, pet doors, pet identification collars, pet proofing and locating systems, waste removal and wellness products, and pet feeders. The company sells its products through pet stores, mass merchant outlets, online retailers, farm and home stores, and catalog and mail order catalogs in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, France, the Great Britain, Ireland, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Japan, Korea, and the Northern Europe. The company was founded in 1991 and is based in Knoxville, Tennessee with additional offices in Jackson, Tennessee; San Diego, California; Canada; England; and China. Here are some more facts for you as well. Sorry Ricky I am a Sportdog Brand fan. They are partnered with a lot of non profit conservation and hunting organizations, are less expensive and every bit as good.

In-house, state-of-the-art engineering and R&D departments are 100% committed to research, innovation and quality

All Radio Systems Electronic products are manufactured in ISO 9002 certified facilities

Market leader in all key categories; the number one brand in the category
WOW !!! Tommy, it almost sounds like you work for 'em. Or own the company or something. :roll:
Since you know so much about them. Did they buy TT or what?

Doug

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:53 pm

Not wishing to start an argument here tommyboy, but I am just going to speak from personal experience. I started out with DT systems. Nothing but problems, took the first two back and exchanged them. After problems with the third one, I took it back and decided to try the sportdog. The first one worked fine for about a month and then wouldn't hold a charge. I exchanged it for another, same problem. :( I finally broke down and bought a tri-tronics. Been two years now and have not had a single problem. It is user friendly, very well made and I love it. It was an expensive education but a lesson well learned :roll:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:13 pm

I too will never use a sport dog e-collar again. Range was not even close to being what it was suppose to be and darn things never held charge. I finally paid the true big bucks and bout a Tri-Tronics. I will never go back. Love my tri-tronic!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:49 pm

WOW!!!! Doug no need for the sarcasm or to patronize me. No I don't work for the company or own it. I just happen to really like that brand and they are American made. If you want to get real technical Doug most of the parts that are in every brand of e collar come from the far east so while they may be assembled in the good ole USA most of the internal components are manufactured in China, Japan, Taiwan, or take your pick of any other southeast Asian country. :roll: I have had real good luck with them and their customer service is excellent. I had a 10 year old model that gave up the ghost and for $75 they replaced it with the SD 2500 I now have and I have been using it for 2 years now flawlessly all be it on the open treeless plains where I live without a hitch. I did not find any info. on Sport Dog buying out Tri Tronics but they did purchase Lucky Dog brand who makes several other training accessories for dogs. No need to be mean but before you speak perhaps you should know your facts.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:24 am

Tommy-That was supposed to be funny, not sarcastic or patronizing.

I've used TT for 25 years and don't want to see the change.

Kinda hard to keep the quality with so many irons in the fire.IMO

Doug

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:06 am

I apologize Doug, with the rolling eyes I thought you were trying to be sarcastic. Yes the parent company for Sport Dog brand is a large diversified company but that helps keep cost down. From what I can see no brand of collar is really any better than any other. It just seems like the major differences are between the models that you can purchase from each individual supplier. It also seems to me that ones that market their brand based on being completely American made are more expensive and as I stated pulling the wool over peoples eyes since most of their electronics come from foreign suppliers. Think about it. When is the last time you saw an American made television, radio, or computer. Even such companies as Gateway who market based being made in America buy their internal components from several different foreign manufacturers. Sorry about the misunderstanding on my part Doug and have a good morning.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:29 am

actually tri tronics get their some products from American companies and they even make some of the components right there at their Tucson location. and Yes I have been there and have taken the tour and they even explain this. they state yes they could save some money buying china made components but they Don't they rather support businesses that also employ Americans.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:47 am

Tommy-Don't sweat it. It's all good.

Doug

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:09 am

last time i called Innotek thay told me sportdog owns them now!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:24 am

Yes sportdog bought innotec a couple years ago.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:37 am

question- are the distance that these units are advertized to work actual-

how about on the less expensive ones- would it be correct to think if it stated 1/2 mile range it would work at 1/2 mile

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:40 am

for what its worth, i have always had Sportdog collars and have been very happy with them. started out with a 400, used it for almost 2 years, then it started failing to charge. called the company, they sent me a new one no questions asked!! i have a 3750 now and it works great for me. i have never used a tri-tronics, however, so cant offer any comparisons.

BAYDOG

Post by BAYDOG » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:09 am

I had a DT collar for years, never had a problem till the ex-wife took it. now I have a Sportdog and so far so good, kinda like the options it comes with, Con. Mom, and tone. Would really like to try a Tri Tron. But with child Support and alimony, just isn't in the cards right now. Also used my dads Innotec, pure junk.
"Been owned by many a great dog, but Lady the AWS by far is the best"

GOD Bless,
Rob G.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:32 am

Shadow out around the area where we live the distances on the collars should be close to advertised but in different parts of the country with more mountains, hills and trees the distances will be cosiderably less.

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:25 pm

I also hope TT wasn't bought out by sportdog. I've used TT collars for the past 15 years. I only had one issue in all those years, which was a G2 collar that I couldn't get to mate to my Pro-500 EXP receiver. I called TT, and they overnighted me a new one along with a pre-paid package to return my old one in (even though I wasn't the original purchaser). It didn't cost me a dime. They make a great product and have great customer service.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:06 pm

Shadow wrote:question- are the distance that these units are advertized to work actual-

how about on the less expensive ones- would it be correct to think if it stated 1/2 mile range it would work at 1/2 mile
Shadow, I am sure tommy is correct in what he said about the range in the type of country he hunts.

In the terrain I hunt however, I have never had a collar come close to the advertised range, regardless of the brand. But with the TT, the range has worked as far as I have actually needed. You wouldn't want to use one when the dog was out of sight or out so far you couldn't really see what he was up to.

Charlie

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:38 pm

Typically, the ranges that are quoted are for wide open terrain...unobstructed line of sight.

Everything that you put in the way, trees, brush, hills, etc, wil cut into that range.

I actually checked an old DT Systems unit that was advertised as 1/2 mile. It got signal at about 600 yards, but no signal at 700.

I have a Tritronics Flyways Special and its advertised range is 1 mile. I have not actually tested it, but I have turned a dog off deer at a distance that I know was well over a half mile. I hit him with and eight second high hard one when he broke out of cover a couple of fields above me. It flattened the dog and froze him in place. I had to walk to go get him because he would not move. Took me about eight to ten minutes to get to him. Where I hunt and train, that is a looooong way.

I have never used a Sportdog because I bought my TT about 15-18 years ago, when that old DT gave up the ghost and I've never needed anything else.

RayG

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:21 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Typically, the ranges that are quoted are for wide open terrain...unobstructed line of sight.

Everything that you put in the way, trees, brush, hills, etc, wil cut into that range.

I actually checked an old DT Systems unit that was advertised as 1/2 mile. It got signal at about 600 yards, but no signal at 700.

I have a Tritronics Flyways Special and its advertised range is 1 mile. I have not actually tested it, but I have turned a dog off deer at a distance that I know was well over a half mile. I hit him with and eight second high hard one when he broke out of cover a couple of fields above me. It flattened the dog and froze him in place. I had to walk to go get him because he would not move. Took me about eight to ten minutes to get to him. Where I hunt and train, that is a looooong way.

I have never used a Sportdog because I bought my TT about 15-18 years ago, when that old DT gave up the ghost and I've never needed anything else.

RayG
I bet that dog never chases another deer! :wink:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:45 am

thanks- wide open 1/2 mile section- rabbits are getting to him- working on it- if there were only a few rabbits I figure I could correct it without a shocker- but

not letting him out lately- the way I see it- he's fine and stops on one or when in within 200 yards- problem is- rabbits all over

if i can't get a grip on it I'm thinking a shock collar- can't have him out 3/4 mile free running

so I've been looking at a couple simple collars that will reach out there- figure as you've said- soon as he realizes I can touch him out there he'll stop

thought maybe about burrowing a quad- but I'd probably kill myself trying to catch him

though has been to put a drag on him- worked for a good female I had- you know- she was 8 months old- found chasing deer was fun- when I put a drag on her- she stopped it- 5 times and she was corrected- one of those situations where a smart dog figured it out-

fordman

Post by fordman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:14 am

I have had Tritron, innotec, sportdog, dogtra, the innotec and sportdog were junk and sportdog customer service was a joke. Still have my tt and dogtra it has been the best by far but the old tt is still my backup.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:30 am

birddogger wrote:
RayGubernat wrote:Typically, the ranges that are quoted are for wide open terrain...unobstructed line of sight.

RayG
I bet that dog never chases another deer! :wink:

As a mater of fact, it never did. A couple of years later in a trail at Wye Is. she was pointing into a wooded area. As I rode up I thought her style was "a ittle off." As I pulled up, I saw a half dozen or eight deer haul butt out of that chunk of woods. She watched them go with her head, but never so much as moved a toenail...with everyone watching both judges and a decent sized gallery. As they ran off, she actually swelled up a bit. I can tell you she got stroked up and a couple of good girls for that one as I collared her away. That was one of my best memories of that little girl.

RayG

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:14 am

:roll: Just have to wonder where people come up with this stuff

have No Fear People Tri Tronics has not been bought out by Sportdog.

You can relax Tri Tronics is still Built on USA American made and assembled PRIDE :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:31 am

I have had TT and DT and both are excellent butneither work well at the distances they advertise which has not been a real problem since I do not use them in the field if I can't see the dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Petsafe also recently bought Invisible Fence brand. All of their products are know made in China. Yes they are ISO certified but still cannot put the old Made in the USA decal on them. They are the most sold retail brand out there. I wonder why you don't see professional trainers using them?